WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

HEW WD: Watch Duels - Automatic Watches: - Seconds, date - Round 1

HEW WD: Watch Duels - Automatic Watches: - Seconds, date - Round 1

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  tony20009 
#1 ·
Overview:
So as most folks love a good battle, so I'm creating a series of running battles. In them, I'll put up pics of two watches. Your task is to choose by vote the one who should move on to the next round. In the next round I'll put up the winner of the first round and a new watch and you vote again. You'll have two days to vote and discover the candidates, and I'll put up a new "battle" on the third day. (If I'm late by more than a day, it's because I got banned and someone else will have to carry the torch. :) )

There will be multiple contest categories, but given my time constraints I'll only have two going at one time.

• Manual Wind Watches: - Seconds, No Date
  • Manual Wind Watches: - No Seconds, No Date
  • Automatic Watches: - Seconds, date
  • Automatic Watches: - No Seconds, date
  • Non-Circular/Hex/Octagonal Shapes - Rectangular/Tonneau
  • Novelty Watches - These are watches that have something about their aesthetic design that makes that thing the point for buying them. Mostly it'll be art, but it's possible that a watch will appear here that has no comparable competitor in the preceding groups.

If someone else wants to manage one of the other categories above, I have no issue with that, but if you take on a category, you own it. It'll be yours to administer. If you feel there are other relevant/interesting categories that aren't listed above, you are also free to create them/it too. (It's not like I could stop you from doing so, I'm just saying I won't be offended if you do. LOL) Just so you have the background pertaining to the approach, please refer to the following posts prior to creating please refer to these posts:

If you have specific watches you want to see face off against the winner of the first round, suggest them. I just ask that you do so in the appropriate thread because I could well miss it otherwise.

Your Vote:

• I will not post pics of every dial or case color in which a watch comes. I will try to post comparable pics to the extent I can easily find them, both for the watch of a given brand relative to a review as well as for the two competing watches, prioritizing where possible comparability of pics for the competitors. You'll have to decide for yourself if the color of the case, dial, etc matters to you in choosing a watch. For some folks it'll matter, for some it won't. I can say that I'll vote based on the watch's substance and only use things like color and case alternatives as a last resort, but that's just me.
  • I hope this doesn't turn into " the most expensive guy wins." Part of why this game is here is because I've seen a bit more objectivity here in HEW than I seen in general in Public.

So here we go...and remember, you are voting for a specific watch, the one pictured, not a brand and not some other watch either company makes. Were this a brand level game, it'd be easy: Patek wins. LOL.

Automatic Watches: - Seconds, Date:

• Jacquet Droz Grande Seconde Quantieme vs. Chopard - LUC 1937 Classic

Jacquet Droz GRANDE SECONDE QUANTIEME

Chopard LUC 1937 Classic

Jacquet Droz Grande Seconde Quantieme

Chopard LUC 1937 Classic

See less See more
#2 ·
a difficult vote...
I have difficulty choosing the Chopard since it says Chopard on the dial and i just cant seem to justify them as Haute Horlogerie brand. But that finishing looks nice and well done.
The JD is pretty but the whole Blancpain movement and SS rotor is putting me a little off...

I need to think...which would i buy...

#4 ·
Is the rotor not SS on both of them? I didn't need to read about either watch to know which I'd choose.

The answer wouldn't alter my opinion/vote, but I'm just asking.

#3 ·
This for me was an easy pick. The JD. The Chopard looks similar enough to the basic Villaret that I could be quite happy with the BP instead, regardless of the guts inside either. The JD looks like few if any other watch and for that uniqueness, I prefer it.

All the best.
Create your own style… let it be unique for yourself and yet identifiable for others.
- Anna Wintour

#10 ·
I really like the dial of the JD. Very nice.

#13 ·
JD - no contest (although I wouldn't buy this either to be honest).

Reasons for my pick:

1. I don't like the boldness of the Roman numerals on the Chopard. They dominate the dial.
  2. To me the Chopard looks cheap in comparison to the JD
  3. The 'base' of the hands on the Chopard are too thick and damage the refinement and clutter the centre of the dial.

#14 ·
Even thought I've never heard of Droz, and never seen that watch, I'm going to vote for it. Even though a much more lavishly and/or gold rotor would be a nice addition…

#15 ·
JD won.

I'll setup the next automatic watch round. Any preferences? PM or post soon. I'm doing it now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.