How is it that the AP Royal Oak is a Sports watch?
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: How is it that the AP Royal Oak is a Sports watch?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 56
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    44

    How is it that the AP Royal Oak is a Sports watch?

    You may laugh but just up until Monday I found out the AP Royal Oak was only 50m of water resistants. I've always thought in order for a watch to be considered
    A sports watch it needs or has to be a minimum of at least 100m?

    Nautilus 120m = 393ft
    VC Overseas 150m = 492ft
    Omega AT 150m = 492ft
    IWC Ingenieur =120m? 393ft
    Royal Oak 50m =164ft
    Blancpain Aqualung 100m = 328ft

    So wouldn't this make the AP Royal Oak a dress/casual Watch instead of a Sports Watch?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    562

    Re: How is it that the AP Royal Oak is a Sports watch?

    While I agree with the fact that the RO is not exactly the sportiest watch of its category, I would put it mostly on the account of the polished surfaces that make it so easy to scratch. It is such an elegant piece that I don't really consider it a sports watch.
    However, the 50m water resistant is plenty for anyone who isn't going to actually scuba dive with it.

    It handles snorkeling easily, and just like IWC pilot watches or the Omega Speedmaster at 6 bar and 5 bar respectively, you can swim and snorkel just fine with a RO. 100m is overkill for swimming, and the most important factor to take into account is the last service/pressure test/impermeability check. According to the big brands, most watches brought to service for water damage are actually divers which haven't been checked/serviced recently, as people assume they will be fine under water.

    As long as it's a watch from a respected high end manufacturer, you can trust the WR rating, they generally test them with a 15% to 20% safety margin.

  3. #3
    Member MZhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    3,074

    Re: How is it that the AP Royal Oak is a Sports watch?

    Quote Originally Posted by abduksion View Post
    You may laugh but just up until Monday I found out the AP Royal Oak was only 50m of water resistants. I've always thought in order for a watch to be considered
    A sports watch it needs or has to be a minimum of at least 100m
    ?

    Nautilus 120m = 393ft
    VC Overseas 150m = 492ft
    Omega AT 150m = 492ft
    IWC Ingenieur =120m? 393ft
    Royal Oak 50m =164ft
    Blancpain Aqualung 100m = 328ft

    So wouldn't this make the AP Royal Oak a dress/casual Watch instead of a Sports Watch?
    Why would you think this, when was the last time you swam deeper than 164ft deep? Either way, the Royal Oak is a 'Sporty' watch, not a 'sports' watch, just like the Nautilus. They both house semi-delicate movements that can't handle true sports shocks but either watch is fine for swimming or daily life in a sporty looking package, if you want a real sports watch then get a Rolex.
    Current Rotation:
    6 Keepers, 2 Rotators
    and a few guilty pleasures...

    Dress Watches Casual Watches Sport Watches Rotators
    High Breguet Classique Chronograph 3237 Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Chrono Rolex Submariner 14060 Daniel Roth Le Sentier
    Low Cartier Tank Basculante Omega Speedmaster 145.022 Rolex GMT Master II 16710 Hermes Arceau Petite Moonphase

    Instagram @mzhammer_wis

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member UberDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    3,034

    Re: How is it that the AP Royal Oak is a Sports watch?

    A watch for a sportsman and a watch meant to be worn whilst sporting are possibly different things.
    JD_S and Morrisdog like this.
    A. Lange & Söhne 1815 Annual Calendar | Glashütte Original Senator Observer | Rolex GMT-II 116710 BLNR | Panerai 00524 Flyback | Tudor Pelagos | Magrette Dual Time

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    44

    Re: How is it that the AP Royal Oak is a Sports watch?

    Quote Originally Posted by MZhammer View Post
    Why would you think this, when was the last time you swam deeper than 164ft deep? Either way, the Royal Oak is a 'Sporty' watch, not a 'sports' watch, just like the Nautilus. They both house semi-delicate movements that can't handle true sports shocks but either watch is fine for swimming or daily life in a sporty looking package, if you want a real sports watch then get a Rolex.
    Good points but whenever I hear sports luxury watch/s I usually hear Ap or Patek.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    195

    Re: How is it that the AP Royal Oak is a Sports watch?

    Think “Sports” as in “Sports Jacket” not “Sports athletics”.

    They were meant to be more casual watches of the 70s and 80s for the elite as opposed to gold cased dress watches. So they were tougher, steel, and had “extra” WR. But they were not mean to be rugged outdoor tough watches like the Submariner or FF.

    They served their purpose well and although initially unpopular, grew in demand.
    MZhammer, brandon\, WTSP and 1 others like this.

  8. #7
    Member fargo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    94

    Re: How is it that the AP Royal Oak is a Sports watch?

    Quote Originally Posted by ar7iste View Post
    100m is overkill for swimming, and the most important factor to take into account is the last service/pressure test/impermeability check. According to the big brands, most watches brought to service for water damage are actually divers which haven't been checked/serviced recently, as people assume they will be fine under water.
    A little bit derailing from the topic, but this is something I find misleading on watch manufacturers' part. I have a Planet Ocean, which is a pure dive watch, rated to 600m. And I do scuba diving. However, I was never able to use it while diving because of this thing you mentioned.

    If they manufacture a dive watch, and if the service interval is 7-10 years, then that watch should be used underwater for the whole of that time interval. But, a lot of people recommend getting it pressure checked everytime going diving. Well, then am I going to have to get it checked every year, since I do a bunch of dives each year? It is just inconvenient, costly and defeats the purpose of a dive watch.

    I really like the dive watch styling and I wanna acquire more pieces; but since I cannot use them while diving I just end up feeling duped and not buying any new ones.
    ar7iste likes this.

  9. #8
    Member MZhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    3,074

    Re: How is it that the AP Royal Oak is a Sports watch?

    Quote Originally Posted by apudabam View Post
    Think “Sports” as in “Sports Jacket” not “Sports athletics”.

    They were meant to be more casual watches of the 70s and 80s for the elite as opposed to gold cased dress watches. So they were tougher, steel, and had “extra” WR. But they were not mean to be rugged outdoor tough watches like the Submariner or FF.

    They served their purpose well and although initially unpopular, grew in demand.
    +1. Think swimming in the Alboran, off a yacht, before dinner at the Marbella club with Gianni Agnelli, not exploring the Yucatan with Cousteau.

    Quote Originally Posted by fargo View Post
    A little bit derailing from the topic, but this is something I find misleading on watch manufacturers' part. I have a Planet Ocean, which is a pure dive watch, rated to 600m. And I do scuba diving. However, I was never able to use it while diving because of this thing you mentioned.

    If they manufacture a dive watch, and if the service interval is 7-10 years, then that watch should be used underwater for the whole of that time interval. But, a lot of people recommend getting it pressure checked everytime going diving. Well, then am I going to have to get it checked every year, since I do a bunch of dives each year? It is just inconvenient, costly and defeats the purpose of a dive watch.

    I really like the dive watch styling and I wanna acquire more pieces; but since I cannot use them while diving I just end up feeling duped and not buying any new ones.
    I'm not familiar with anyone who says this but, if they do, I'd imagine its about vintage watches where seals and pitting are always at risk of changing the water resistance. Modern gaskets have service lives of roughly 20 years and, if your watch is correctly sealed and tested once, you should not need to retest until it gets serviced again. feel safe to dive with a modern PO!
    Current Rotation:
    6 Keepers, 2 Rotators
    and a few guilty pleasures...

    Dress Watches Casual Watches Sport Watches Rotators
    High Breguet Classique Chronograph 3237 Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Chrono Rolex Submariner 14060 Daniel Roth Le Sentier
    Low Cartier Tank Basculante Omega Speedmaster 145.022 Rolex GMT Master II 16710 Hermes Arceau Petite Moonphase

    Instagram @mzhammer_wis

  10. #9
    Member brandon\'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    11,409

    Re: How is it that the AP Royal Oak is a Sports watch?

    Quote Originally Posted by abduksion View Post
    I've always thought in order for a watch to be considered a sports watch it needs or has to be a minimum of at least 100m?
    Why? The only requirement for a watch to be a sports watch is what the marketing department labels it.
    MZhammer likes this.
    "Oh, nice. So now we're quoting other people to sound deep." -alx007

  11. #10
    Member brandon\'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    11,409

    Re: How is it that the AP Royal Oak is a Sports watch?

    Quote Originally Posted by abduksion View Post
    I've always thought in order for a watch to be considered a sports watch it needs or has to be a minimum of at least 100m?
    Why? The only requirement for a watch to be a sports watch is what the marketing department labels it.
    "Oh, nice. So now we're quoting other people to sound deep." -alx007

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •