How well do sailcloth straps hold up?
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: How well do sailcloth straps hold up?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How well do sailcloth straps hold up?

Iím interested in a Blancpain FF I love the looks and style of the watch. And I know that the sailcloth strap was made to get wet but it just seems to me like that over time of just having constant contact with sweat and skin oils and whatever other dust and dirt you come into contact with every day it would after time start to smell this seems like it would be accelerated if you actually went into salt water. Iím wondering what any of you out there that have experience with sailcloth have to say about this.

Also does anybody know if BP makes a rubber strap for the FF this seems like a much better option for a dive watch.

Re: How well do sailcloth straps hold up?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    Iím interested in a Blancpain FF I love the looks and style of the watch. And I know that the sailcloth strap was made to get wet but it just seems to me like that over time of just having constant contact with sweat and skin oils and whatever other dust and dirt you come into contact with every day it would after time start to smell this seems like it would be accelerated if you actually went into salt water. Iím wondering what any of you out there that have experience with sailcloth have to say about this.

Also does anybody know if BP makes a rubber strap for the FF this seems like a much better option for a dive watch.
    It holds up well. I have heard between two years and 6. Not forever. On my bathyscaphe itís been about a year and goon g strong including a vacation where I swam, surfed ect all in the hot. It does not smell. I have a 5015 as well but may be putting on a braclet or rubber for variety.

As for OEM. Yes there is a 23mm rubber that you can get for the 5015. Itís pricey. There are really not a ton of aftermarket options rubber or other. Some Nato for sure.

I bought a Barton quick release rubber for my bathy. It fits well and works but for some reason it does just not look as good. Itís the style of rubber mostly.

Otherwise I have been batting zero on rubber options

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mbarmash View Post
    It holds up well. I have heard between two years and 6. Not forever. On my bathyscaphe it’s been about a year and goon g strong including a vacation where I swam, surfed ect all in the hot. It does not smell. I have a 5015 as well but may be putting on a braclet or rubber for variety.

As for OEM. Yes there is a 23mm rubber that you can get for the 5015. It’s pricey. There are really not a ton of aftermarket options rubber or other. Some Nato for sure.

I bought a Barton quick release rubber for my bathy. It fits well and works but for some reason it does just not look as good. It’s the style of rubber mostly.

Otherwise I have been batting zero on rubber options

Thats good to know that there is a OEM rubber. I have never seen a pic of this but i will be checking google. Do you know by any chance if there is a blue OEM option as well?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    Thats good to know that there is a OEM rubber. I have never seen a pic of this but i will be checking google. Do you know by any chance if there is a blue OEM option as well?
    Not sure. I think just black unless one came with an ocean commitment model.

that kind of sucks i am most interested in the Titanium model with the blue dial

When wearing my Bathyscaphe chrono daily, it lasted less than a year before ugly cracks occurred. The second one lasted even less...so much less that BP sent me a replacement. Now I use an Erika's original.

Quote Originally Posted by GrouchoM View Post
    When wearing my Bathyscaphe chrono daily, it lasted less than a year before ugly cracks occurred. The second one lasted even less...so much less that BP sent me a replacement. Now I use an Erika's original.
    I hear they are good. Itís a style thing for me. I like the look of the sailcloth and it seems hit or miss if they last. If I can fits the right rubber one I will never take it off.

The look and feel nice. But the edges did not last long on the ceramic model I have. They frayed from rubbing on the buckle.

I ended up having a bespoke stingray strap made for less than Blancpain would have charged for a new one.

Name:  20191002_173734.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  147.3 KB

Name:  20191002_173612.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  180.9 KB
    saintsman, apudabam and TJ Boogie like this.
    Core Collection:
    BlancpaiN Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe ceramic, H. Moser & Cie Venturer Small Seconds 2327-0402, Omega Aqua Terra 231.53.39.21.06.002, JLC Reverso Flyback Chrono 255.182, JLC Reverso Grande Taille 270.3.62, Rolex OP 1966 1002, Ulysse Nardin Perpetual GMT 321-22, Longines Conquest 1959, Hamilton Electric Spectra 1957, Citizen AQ 4020Ė54Y, Bulova Accutron Astronaut, Citizen Eco Drive One AR5030-59L

I have an Omega DSOTM. The sail cloth is same as the BP FF. FYI, BP shared it with Omega because they have the same parent company. Orders from above I guess. Anyways, the sail cloth is durable because 1) it is well knitted, 2) the back is lined with leather. I think you really need to have an active lifestyle to ruin this. Obviously, this strap isn't really for outdoors stuff .

Quote Originally Posted by aznseank View Post
    I have an Omega DSOTM. The sail cloth is same as the BP FF. FYI, BP shared it with Omega because they have the same parent company. Orders from above I guess. Anyways, the sail cloth is durable because 1) it is well knitted, 2) the back is lined with leather. I think you really need to have an active lifestyle to ruin this. Obviously, this strap isn't really for outdoors stuff .
    The BP one isn't leather lined. BP states that it's the strap to wear for water activities, not their leather decorated NATO.

If there are any typos in this post, I blame Tapatalk!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information