I got a Rolex
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: I got a Rolex

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned

I got a Rolex

So, I went a got myself a Rolex. When my watch quest began, I knew I wanted several watches, and though Rolexes were among the watches under consideration - mainly b/c of the brand's reputation - I didn't think I would get one. Rolex Oyster models are plainer than I generally go for in jewelry.

All the same, I tried on several and something about them just clicked. The quiet styling has an elegance of it's own. Plus, the one I chose, the Explorer, wears like a much thinner watch than its case thickness suggests it would. That thinness adds an unexpected degree of elegance to what otherwise a fairly nondescript watch, & I love that.

Of course, it has all the design & build qualities for which Rolex is renowned. I suppose I will come to appreciate them in the years to come, although a few I noticed already.

For instance, the precision of the cut on the edges of the bezel bottom is razor sharp and yet not actually sharp enough to cut you. The beveled edge of the crystal appears as sort of a "chapter ring" in the dark, yet the bevel is sufficiently narrow that the ring isn't distracting. (My Ball has a similar effect, but its bevel kinda amplifies the light coming off the tritium tubes that are part of the baton markers.)

So, here I am w/a Rolex & I'm loving it.

Oh! Almost forgot. Another nifty thing about having a Rolex is that I no longer feel like I need to compare my other watches to a Rolex b/c I have a Rolex. Now my other watches can just be what they are rather than "as good as" or "as good as, except..." or "for the money" watches. I guess that's more about me than the watches, but somehow, getting the Rolex makes me like my other watches even more.

Re: I got a Rolex

Great that you found your happiness but this is not the right forum.
    Last edited by murokello; March 8th, 2020 at 08:08.

Quote Originally Posted by MDNoobie View Post
    So, I went a got myself a Rolex. When my watch quest began, I knew I wanted several watches, and though Rolexes were among the watches under consideration - mainly b/c of the brand's reputation - I didn't think I would get one. Rolex Oyster models are plainer than I generally go for in jewelry.

All the same, I tried on several and something about them just clicked. The quiet styling has an elegance of it's own. Plus, the one I chose, the Explorer, wears like a much thinner watch than its case thickness suggests it would. That thinness adds an unexpected degree of elegance to what otherwise a fairly nondescript watch, & I love that.

Of course, it has all the design & build qualities for which Rolex is renowned. I suppose I will come to appreciate them in the years to come, although a few I noticed already.

For instance, the precision of the cut on the edges of the bezel bottom is razor sharp and yet not actually sharp enough to cut you. The beveled edge of the crystal appears as sort of a "chapter ring" in the dark, yet the bevel is sufficiently narrow that the ring isn't distracting. (My Ball has a similar effect, but its bevel kinda amplifies the light coming off the tritium tubes that are part of the baton markers.)

Oh! Almost forgot. Another nifty thing about having a Rolex is that I no longer feel like I need to compare my other watches to a Rolex b/c I have a Rolex. Now my other watches can just be what they are rather than "as good as" or "as good as, except..." or "for the money" watches. I guess that's more about me than the watches, but somehow, getting the Rolex makes me like my other watches even more.
    Congratulations!

Don't forget to post in the Rolex forums. You will likely get more responses there.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by apudabam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MDNoobie View Post

Congratulations!

Don't forget to post in the Rolex forums. You will likely get more responses there.
    TY

MD, unfortunately, Rolex are not considered high end. Even though they may be good watches, they are not the best watches in the world, a common misunderstanding by the masses.

That said, nobody here will be looking down at you for having one. In fact, most people will be pleased you’re happy with it. It’s just that the Rolex forum will be more receptive. Try there and post some photos.
    Omega SMP 300 Chrono
    Omega 8500 Aqua Terra
    Omega 2500 Orange PO
    Vintage Omega Geneve
    Chopard GT XL
    Bell & Ross BR03-92 Ceramic

Hmmmm, me thinks I hear the 'war drums' in the Rolex Forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by saintsman View Post
    MD, unfortunately, Rolex are not considered high end. Even though they may be good watches, they are not the best watches in the world, a common misunderstanding by the masses.

That said, nobody here will be looking down at you for having one. In fact, most people will be pleased you’re happy with it. It’s just that the Rolex forum will be more receptive. Try there and post some photos.

Great watch! I have actually contemplated buying a DLC coated Explorer 1 (36 or 39mm) just because it's a great all arounder, and the DLC coating adds an extra stealth to it to prevent anyone from thinking it's a Rolex (which I value in my specific case for perception reasons in the spheres I find myself most of the time).
    It's good to appreciate a good watch when you have one, no matter the price point.
    GrouchoM and MDNoobie like this.

Congrats! I also have an Explorer (114270). Although I tried to encourage you to consider a Reverso Duo, both are great watches. (I have a Reverso as well, but wear it on different occasions.) I think the Explorer I is a great everyday watch, particularly for the summertime. It can also work with business wear, and thus has followed me to a few conferences and weddings. While I have proper dress watches, I prefer to bring something sturdy when traveling to a wedding.
    MDNoobie likes this.

I love my Rolexes too. Pics?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by acpacp View Post
    Congrats! I also have an Explorer (114270). Although I tried to encourage you to consider a Reverso Duo, both are great watches. (I have a Reverso as well, but wear it on different occasions.) I think the Explorer I is a great everyday watch, particularly for the summertime. It can also work with business wear, and thus has followed me to a few conferences and weddings. While I have proper dress watches, I prefer to bring something sturdy when traveling to a wedding.
    I ordered the Reverso too.

"...bring something sturdy to a wedding."

LOL. I'm guessing it's the wedding reception that requires something sturdy. LOL

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information