JLC Reverso Duo & VC Overseas
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: JLC Reverso Duo & VC Overseas

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned

JLC Reverso Duo & VC Overseas

If you own a Reverso Duo or Overseas and have been using it for a long time (5+ years or more), is there anything about it, or your experience with the manufacturer/seller, that you wish you'd have known before you bought the watch?

It could be something good, something bad or just something that is neither but that was a bit surprising to discover.

Re: JLC Reverso Duo & VC Overseas

I have had the Grande Reverso Duo Date for over 5 years, used it sparingly. It keeps great time and the case mechanism is superb.

Only had the Overseas for about 6 months but keeps great time and seems well built, Gen 3.
    “I shall pass this way but once; any good that I can do or
    any kindness I can show to any human being; let me do it now.
    Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” Etienne de Grellet.

“[E]very [person] I meet is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from [that person].” Ralph Waldo Emerson.

“If you argue and rankle and contradict, you may achieve
    a victory sometimes; but it will be an empty victory because
    you will never get your opponent's good will.” Ben Franklin.

Well, no one has a Gen 3 Overseas for that long, since they only were released in 2016. I've had mine for 3 1/2 years, and still love it. If you do a search, you can find my detailed review of it from back then. Nothing has changed since--it's a stupendous watch.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

i have owned the VCOS chronograph 1st Gen and currently own the VCOS chronograph 2nd Gen.
    it is an amazing watch, no complains at all
    Current Collection
    Patek Philippe 5170G
    Patek Philippe 5146G
    Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chronograph 49150/B01A-9097
    Blancpain Villeret Quantieme Complete 6263A (20 years anniversary edition limited 300 pieces)
    Rolex Datejust 116234 JSRR
    Rolex GMT Master II 116710 BLNR
    Baume & Mercier Clifton Annual Calendar Chronograph M0A10280
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 311.30.42.30.01.006

@azizu787

I've had four Reversos, and have only bonded well with one (the Gran Sport). None are in my collection currently. I just can't find the right size for my wrist. On the other hand I now have two Overseas, and I think they are pretty amazing and versatile, especially the third gen and the strap system.
    IWC Aquatimer Chronograph "Jacques Yves Cousteau", IWC Portuguese 7-Day Automatic, JLC Deep Sea Cermet, JLC Tribute to Polaris 1965, Panerai 233 "Dot", Panerai 439 Oro Rosso, Patek Philippe 5130 World Time, Rolex Milgauss, Rolex Seadweller, Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chronograph, Vacheron Constantin Overseas World Time. Vacheron Constantin Patrimony Traditionnelle Chronograph.

IG: bvllitt

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by islands62 View Post
    I've had four Reversos, and have only bonded well with one (the Gran Sport). None are in my collection currently. I just can't find the right size for my wrist. On the other hand I now have two Overseas, and I think they are pretty amazing and versatile, especially the third gen and the strap system.
    FWIW, I haven't had an issue finding the right size Reverso. I don't even understand that problem. Can you not tell if it's right or not when you're trying them on?

Does something change, or do you discover something that wasn't apparent, between then & sometime after having worn it?

If so, what happened trigger your change of mind about the fit/size?

I've had a Reverso Grande GMT for about 15 years and an Overseas Gen 3 for about a year. I enjoy both watches. Both could be a little smaller for my ideal preferences, but I am ok with the size. I have other pieces for smaller/thinner watches. Both JLC and VC are great to work with (same local AD for me).

Service can be an expensive and slow process for higher end watches. Similarly, sometimes watches back from service have issues. I've had similar experiences with multiple brands and JLC and VC have always done a good job.

My JLC has an 8-day movement, so it's about 12 mm thick. I'd prefer a little thinner, but it's comfortable as it. The Overseas is 41 mm, I'd prefer 39 mm, but it also fits well as is. Both of these watches have cases sized appropriately for their movements, so they aren't oversized just to make a bigger case. On that point, the VC Overseas for ladies at 37 mm could easily be made 35 mm with the same movement. If it were just a little smaller, we might have bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by MDNoobie View Post
    FWIW, I haven't had an issue finding the right size Reverso. I don't even understand that problem. Can you not tell if it's right or not when you're trying them on?

Does something change, or do you discover something that wasn't apparent, between then & sometime after having worn it?

I don’t usually try on watches before they are bought. Being able to try on before I buy is actually a pretty rare occurrence for me. I found the classic and grand taile size too small, and the 925 size was too wide and shifted on my wrist. I still like the Reverso, and the design of its case, just have not found the right one.
    IWC Aquatimer Chronograph "Jacques Yves Cousteau", IWC Portuguese 7-Day Automatic, JLC Deep Sea Cermet, JLC Tribute to Polaris 1965, Panerai 233 "Dot", Panerai 439 Oro Rosso, Patek Philippe 5130 World Time, Rolex Milgauss, Rolex Seadweller, Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chronograph, Vacheron Constantin Overseas World Time. Vacheron Constantin Patrimony Traditionnelle Chronograph.

IG: bvllitt

I own two JLC Reversos at this current point and probably will pick up another in the coming years. I have a fairly flat dorsal wrist so Reversos of various sizes seem to fit me relatively well, but because of the rectangular shape it can seem unforgiving in terms of fit if your wrist is rounder and you go too large. Conversely, too small of a watch can look odd with the current fashion trends. I think a large, round wrist might have trouble finding the right case that sits just right and suspect those who cannot find the right Reverso have this issue.

Regarding the VC Overseas Gen 3, I want to like it and try it on again every few months or so but I continually find the lug to lug dimensions just too long for my liking and it seemed to wear too large for me even though its a fantastic watch and if it fit me better I might even consider purchasing one. In micor's review thread I had posted some concerns if I recall regarding the usage of the watch as a sports watch or dress watch. I've warmed up a little more since then but not much as any "luxury sports watch" (RO, Nautilus, Overseas, etc) would probably be paired with business/business casual/smart casual if I were to own one based on my current rotation and I'd never use the straps. That's a personal preference though and I'm sure many would disagree and I could see them working in a large variety of circumstances.

I assume based on the nature of your question you are trying to decide between a Reverso Duo and an Overseas? I consider them very different watches built for different purposes and at different price points (most Duos are half the price of a VC OS Gen 3 if I recall) but both good and both should be tried on prior to purchasing.
    Current Collection: Cartier Tank Francaise, Celadon Imperial, JLC MUT Jubilee, JLC Reverso GT Shadow, JLC Reverso TT1931, JLC MUT Small Second 38.5, JLC Polaris Automatic, Rolex Explorer (2016), Tag Heuer Carrera

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...aTvU53LCRO7rcs

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by islands62 View Post

I don’t usually try on watches before they are bought. Being able to try on before I buy is actually a pretty rare occurrence for me. I found the classic and grand taile size too small, and the 925 size was too wide and shifted on my wrist. I still like the Reverso, and the design of its case, just have not found the right one.
    Oh. I see how you could not know about the fit if you don't try on the watch b4 you buy it. I didn't realize people do that. I guess I should have.

I take it you live in a place having limited "retail therapy" opportunities as go watches?

I guess as a watch hobbyist, you don't mind the back & forth that is an inherent risk of buying w/out trying it on 1st.

I'm aiming to buy several watches I know I like & call it a day. The only way I could see doing that was to visit the local retailers, try on watches, & then spend a week or so reconciling what I liked (more by far than I'm gonna buy LOL) w/what I intend to accomplish by buying them. (I just worked that out this morning.)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information