MB&F: Any owners out there?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wintershade

Thread: MB&F: Any owners out there?

MB&F: Any owners out there?

I'm interested in hearing from some MB&F owners on this forum, especially Legacy Machine owners. Where does the watch fit into your rotation? Does it get a lot of attention, and is it positive or negative attention? How is value retention if you eventually parted ways with one? Durability? Anything else to note as an owner?

I was working with FPJ on a custom piece and started to get annoyed by how difficult it is to work with them and got cold feet. I had an unexpected opportunity to try on some Legacy Machines, was completely enraptured, and can't stop thinking about adding one of the more basic models to my collection to get my feet wet and see how I get on with the brand (e.g., LM101 or the Split Escapement). I love the relative rarity (I've never seen one in the wild outside of a watch meet up), but am a bit concerned about attracting too much attention (I generally like to fly under the radar and my "loudest" piece is a Zeitwerk which I generally only wear in more casual settings with friends despite it being my favorite watch by a mile).

Perhaps I'm just not capable of using the search function on this forum, but there seems to be very little MB&F related material on here. I'd love to hear from some owners.
    WTSP likes this.

Re: MB&F: Any owners out there?

Haven't owned the brand but have a bunch of pieces in my Chrono24 wishlist. Seems like they move extremely slowly (there are watches that I wishlisted a year ago that are still for sale) although I assume resale is no worse than the other haute independent brands. A local preowned dealer has been trying to get rid of one for a year or so too. There's a very specific slice of people who want them, and I'd guess that for most of them shelling out $40k for a preowned one is not meaningfully different from $75k for a new one.

Personally I don't think that any of the LM's are loud (I've seen a few in person) but if your "loud" standard is the Zeitwerk, the LM is almost certainly going to attract more attention. Re: reliability, a friend has a Starcruiser Frog and he's been cautioned about wearing it as a sports watch, as the rotor is tuned for efficiency and is less tolerant of stress compared to run-of-the-mill automatics. I can't verify this so I'd welcome any owners to comment on this.

That's all I know. I'm more interested in the HM's and unless I can get one for a really good price, I can't justify the premium for what it offers in terms of exoticness over my Tread 1. If you want a skeleton with high level finishing, Arnold & Son and Armin Strom might be worth looking into. There's also De Bethune, which IMO offers the most "watch" among the small production houses (but also aren't quite daily drivers unless you get one in ceramic). Since you mention that you prefer understated watches, I'll also bring up Ressence (and the Type 3 in particular), which is super rare, extremely wearable and scratch proof, and handles daily abuse as well as any top shelf ETA.
    Devon Tread 1E, Tread 2 BTO, Ressence Type 3, NORD Variocurve V4

Quote Originally Posted by wintershade View Post
    Perhaps I'm just not capable of using the search function on this forum, but there seems to be very little MB&F related material on here. I'd love to hear from some owners.
    Watchuseek has everything, but sometimes it’s not quite the right forum. For the intersection of high end and independent, the best option is WatchProSite, formerly known as The Purists. You’ll find some owners on that forum. They have a mobile app too.

For an even more targeted approach, just go on Instagram, put in the #MB&F and direct message anyone that is posting semi-amateur photos of a model you like. Like anyone who is posting pictures of their MB&Fs on social media will be happy to talk to a likeminded person about the ownership experience, particularly somebody who is actually considering ownership. It’s like a targeted job search on LinkedIn, except “the ask” is something the other person is going to enjoy responding to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jpohn View Post
    It’s like a targeted job search on LinkedIn, except “the ask” is something the other person is going to enjoy responding to.
    Thanks, that's a great idea, and that last line really cracked me up. It always cracks me up how many head hunter emails I get this time of year (right after bonus season for hedge fund and finance industry).

Quote Originally Posted by wintershade View Post
    Thanks, that's a great idea, and that last line really cracked me up. It always cracks me up how many head hunter emails I get this time of year (right after bonus season for hedge fund and finance industry).
    As someone on the hiring side, it's REALLY hard to pull someone away in Q4 before bonus hits! :)

BTW, DMing you on the custom FPJ side. Was looking into it but sad to hear you had issues with it.

Thread Information