MB&F : the Legacy continues with Legacy Machine N°2 - message from Max Büsser

Thread: MB&F : the Legacy continues with Legacy Machine N°2 - message from Max Büsser

Picture MB&F : the Legacy continues with Legacy Machine N°2 - message from Max Büsser

Dear Friends,
    When I started MB&F back in 2005, it was with a rebellious spirit and a good dose of rage… I wanted to do things
    differently from what I had done during the first 15 years of my professional life. So if you had asked me, would I ever
    create a round, classic watch again, the immediate response would have been, “Not the slightest chance!”

Accordingly, our first Horological Machines were anything but conventional – and that rebellious vein continues as strong
    as ever: expect some serious Horological shock when you discover HM6 next year. But in parallel, we’ve also channelled
    some of our rage into a more classic line, illustrating our love and respect of watchmaking tradition: Legacy Machines.

After the award-winning LM1 in 2011, we launched in September this year our second round watch: Legacy Machine N°2!

I can trace the origins of LM2 back to two key moments: the first one was a collectors’ dinner about 10 years ago,
    before MB&F had even started. The gentleman sitting next to me had a very classic, unassuming watch on his wrist.
    I asked to see it and realised it was a piece by renowned watchmaker Philippe Dufour… Turning it over, I discovered
    a beautiful movement with not one, but two balance wheels, connected via a differential system: this was the very
    rare “Duality”, of which Dufour has apparently crafted only 9 pieces. I was stunned by the beauty of the mechanism
    but also thought to myself, one day it would be nice to revisit the dual balance wheel idea, showcasing it in a more
    visible way…

The second moment was early in the development process of Legacy Machine N°1. One of the key features of LM1
    was its world-first “flying” balance wheel, suspended high above the dial. Putting that together with the memories of
    Dufour’s Duality seemed like a winning combination: we held the concept of LM2!

As always, next to our own team a fantastic group of Friends brought the concept to life – including Kari Voutilainen
    and Jean-François Mojon for the movement and our loyal designer Eric Giroud for the general design.

Traveling deep into watchmaking history, LM2 is really about paying tribute to our amazing Horological ancestors.
    Starting about 250 years ago, famous watchmakers like Ferdinand Berthoud, Antide Janvier and Abraham-Louis Breguet
    experimented with dual balance wheel systems, in their quest to create more reliable clocks and pocket watches. Much
    later, the first traces of dual balances combined with differentials appear; but the complexity and difficulty of creating
    such differentials explains their scarcity, still today.

How does the differential work? In a few words, the LM2 has one source of energy: a single spring and barrel. That
    energy is distributed by the differential to the two independent balance wheels and escapements, which each beat at
    their own natural rate. The same differential then averages out those two rates, using that average to drive the hours
    and minutes.

To use a human metaphor: LM2 has one pair of lungs (the barrel), two hearts (the two balances), one brain
    (the differential), and two hands (the hours and minutes).

LM2 is crafted in red and white gold versions, plus a limited edition of 18 pieces in platinum. Have a look at the short
    video to see those balances in slow motion; and you’ll find a lot more about LM2 on our website.
    As always, keep the feedback coming – in whichever form you like, email, Facebook, Instagram… or a visit to Salon QP
    or the M.A.D.Gallery, we’ll be happy to hear from you.

Very best regards,

Maximilian Büsser
    Owner & Creative Director
    Last edited by Ernie Romers; November 6th, 2013 at 09:09.
    Best regards,

Ernie Romers
    Founder and former site owner, Watchuseek.com

Re: MB&F : the Legacy continues with Legacy Machine N°2 - message from Max Büsser

Hey Max, how about some better poses?

Thread Information