New Jaquet Droz Manual Wind Chronograph

Thread: New Jaquet Droz Manual Wind Chronograph

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New Jaquet Droz Manual Wind Chronograph

Hi,

This may be an example for when the "High-end watches" forum is more appropriate than using the "Public forum". Last week when this watch arrived, I put up a post on the public forum and after 3 days and 75 looks no one had responded. I thought that I was posting a very nice and quite uncommon watch. Let's see if I can top the 0/75 record here ().

The model is a Jaquet Droz Hommage Londres 1774 Chronograph GMT. I found an NOS model out there in the ether of the cyber-watch world. It has not been listed in the J*D catalogue for a number of years and was introduced at Baselworld 2003.

Case: It has a polished stainless steel case and is a very comfortable 41.0 x 13.1 mm; so it will fit comfortably beneath the cuff a long-sleeve shirt. The bezel is polished and radiused. The three pushers are large in size which spreads the load out on one's finger tips when they are depressed. The chronograph start/stop requires a fairly firm input force but the chronograph start has a typical "jump" but the start is quite precise. The reset is very smooth and requires much less input force. The GMT pusher requires very low-force and precisely increments the GMT hour hand clockwise around the register. It has a sapphire case to nicely display the movement. The crown has an inset sapphire cabochon which is a nice touch. It has a water resistance rating of 30 meters.

Dial: The dial is black with two; silver bicompax chronograph registers (30-minute @ 3 o'clock and running seconds @ 9 o'clock). At six o'clock it has a black, 24-hour register to track a second time zone. The two chronograph register hands are blued to enhance contrast. The polished hour and minute hands have LumiNova filled tips for night-time visibility. The chronograph seconds and GMT hour hands are polished and actually read quite well against the dark dial. It has whimsically styled polished Arabic appliqué numbers that vary in size. The chapter ring has 1/6 second indices (driven by 21,600 bph movement).

Strap: The watch comes with a very nice hand sewn, black stitched, black crocodile band with a simple but secure deployant which is quite easy to adjust compared to my JLC or Chronoswiss designs. It is also quite comfortable because it places leather between you and the closure. The lugs span about 45 mm so the strap falls away almost vertically from the watch on my 18.5 cm wrist.

Movement: The watch has a very nicely finished, 26 jewel, Lemania 1873 that has been modified to have the GMT function. It is very nice finished with cotes de Genève, anglage, gilded engravings and blued screws. I am uncertain whether J*D had Lemania do these touches or had it done by Frederic Piguet. Since at the time the watch was made, they had no facility; it was done by someone else.

It is definitely not a watch that you will run into every day, but it has some unique charms to it.

Bob
    Last edited by iim7v7im7; December 18th, 2011 at 22:52.
    __________________________________________________ __________________

AUDEMARS PIGUET | BLANCPAIN | DAMASKO | GRAND SEIKO | ROLEX

Re: New Jaquet Droz Manual Wind Chronograph

Last edited by tim_s; December 19th, 2011 at 04:26. Reason: double post

I'm going to start! That caseback/movement is killer - love it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Absolutely fabulous looking watch and especially movement. How's the power reserve?

Out of curiosity, does the fact that a watch is manual wind preclude it from having a date? I have always wondered.

I don't understand how it got over looked but I must say Congratulations man. JD are famous for having nice dials and this one is certainly no exception....beautifully done. I think the complete package is a winner, very nice.

Enjoy in the very best of health, and as far as exclusivity, you probably won't see another the same in a lifetime.

Cheers,
    Rob

PS for Mick, there are plenty of manual wind watches that have a date function, this one just went in a different direction. I think it looks great.

Donut, thanks for the info.

what a beauty! i agree that the finishing of the dial is second to none, how no one commented on this is beyond me. I love the numbering on the dial down to the stitching on the strap. I love what the high end watch makers bring to the table. congratulations on a fantastic and unique piece.

Mick,

Sorry, I missed your response. The watch has a 48 hour power reserve. Nothing precludes a manufacturer from adding a date to amanual wind watch.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by mick arthur View Post
    Absolutely fabulous looking watch and especially movement. How's the power reserve?

Out of curiosity, does the fact that a watch is manual wind preclude it from having a date? I have always wondered.
    __________________________________________________ __________________

AUDEMARS PIGUET | BLANCPAIN | DAMASKO | GRAND SEIKO | ROLEX

v76

I like the whimsy in the font and the different sized digits. The Lemania 1873 is not the most refined chronograph movement, but it's rugged and of simple construction which makes it inherently reliable (and proven, too)!
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

Going against the grain, I'm disappointed that Jaquet Droz chose a cam-actuated movement for the chronograph. They are very clunky-feeling IMHO, which was very dissatisfying with the Omega version I had
    Tick Talk says, "A watch in the hand is worth two on the wrist"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information