which one?
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: which one?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

which one?

I think I possibly want to get another watch within couple of months. Which watch do you think is the best? I personally like the Franck Muller Vanguard 18k skeleton (not sure about the price but similar models are around 21k to 26k). I am looking for something under 30k (preferably lower the better. I would be ecstatic if I could get something that looks like FM for like 14k. I prefer second hand btw. I want to save money.). I want a sporty, fun and colorful watch that retains value over time. Personally, FM sings to be aesthetically but I know FM will not retain in value so I am very hesitant. Now my eyes are glancing over at the sickeningly banal rolexes...

Name:  Franck-Muller-Vanguard™-Racing-Skeleton-rosegold-2.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  85.1 KBName:  rolex.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  190.3 KBName:  rolex-daytona-rose-gold-mens-watch-116515-lnbr.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  229.8 KB

Re: which one?

I would get the Rolex. Not because it is a Rolex but because it isn't a Franck Muller.

Cheers,

M

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Frank Muller is the worst choice as far as money retention, very limited market. Daytona SS is probably the watch with best price retention in the market but if you get it at retail from the AD. (sells to close to doble his retail price in the grey market )

Let me suggest this Rose gold Daytona version

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Reeser1 likes this.
    Jorge
    Patek Phillippe - Audemars Piguet - Rolex

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Why does anybody else’s opinion matter?

You’ve already clearly said you like the FM, and clearly don’t even like the Rolex.

It makes no sense to consider purchasing a watch you don’t even like because a bunch of random strangers on a jewellery forum for men suggest it...

SOoO many watches SOoO little time...
    gossler likes this.
    SoOoO many watches, SoOoO little time...

Why do so many people frown on FM? It used to be a great brand about 15 years ago from my recollection. BTW, I already have a Rolex sub SS. I like it because it is simple and there is value retention. However, I now find Rolexes too plain. I want more funk but my fund is limited. I can't go out and get Richard Milles or Jacob and Co Twin Turbo Furious. For some reason, I really like the tonneau case. But the last thing I want to be is to be some dude who spent a sizable chunk of cash on a completely worthless crap. BTW, I think it does matter what other people think. After all, we are social animals.

On a different note, people notice my beat up SS Rolex Sub over other people's more expensive watches. I find that to be quite funny. Some girls even asked me how I got my SS Rolex model. She went on about how she did not want to be on the waiting list lol.

So yeah, please explain the FM hate so I can rationalize it.

I can't speak to others, all I can say is FM doesn't appeal to me personally, from a subjective, style point of view. YMMV.

An FM for $14k you say? Devon has just the thing for you.

Name:  qid5x4u.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  1.30 MB
    gossler likes this.
    Devon Tread 1E, Tread 2 BTO, Ressence Type 3, NORD Variocurve V4

Watches are all very personal, and if you buy a watch for yourself, I would strongly suggest to not consider value retention as a main factor for your purchase, otherwise we would all have the exact same collections of Rolex and PP. Not that it's a bad thing, it's just that it would be very boring to stick to other people's tastes.
    FM, if bought grey market or pre owned, can be a good buy if you like the design and aesthetics. Whatever puts a smile on your face wins the game.

For a similar sporty style, you might also want to look at some pieces by Linde Werdelin, they make really great quality watches, the movements are neat too (some by Concepto, some by Dubois Dépraz), and they fit fantastic on the wrist. Cvstos also makes watches similar to FM in styling, but I cannot speak about the quality or movements since I do not own one.

Do your research, try them on, but do yourself a favor and buy something that YOU like and will enjoy putting on.
    Last edited by ar7iste; 3 Weeks Ago at 23:09.
    GrouchoM and jameswatchsd like this.

You always , no matter what you have to consider value retention. Does that means that you have to stick to PP AP and Rolex ? Hell no ... when you want a watch bad and you Know the watch doesn’t have a good market like FM, all you have to do is cut your losses from day one and try to buy at best price possible. Look at it like an informed decision, so no surprises if you ever have to let go of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    aznseank likes this.
    Jorge
    Patek Phillippe - Audemars Piguet - Rolex

For brands that tend to trade sloppily in the secondary market, patience is a virtue. I'd setup auction alerts for a few watches that fit the bill and just be patient. You might have to wait a year (or more), but you'll eventually get your watch at price that will likely be a fraction of what you'd pay a dealer.
    aznseank likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information