Opinions between the Parmigiani Tonda 1950 and the H Moser Venturer Small Seconds?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SethThomas

Thread: Opinions between the Parmigiani Tonda 1950 and the H Moser Venturer Small Seconds?

Opinions between the Parmigiani Tonda 1950 and the H Moser Venturer Small Seconds?

Hi all, I've just been comparing simple dress watches from both emerging companies, and had some self-debate between the Parmigiani Tonda 1950 and the H Moser Venturer Small Seconds. I haven't held either in person, curious if anyone with more hands-on experience can give feedback of the merits of each watch?

Some things I observe but am on the fence on:
    - Parmigiani dials are more simple and flat, while Moser generally uses their gradient dials. I'm debating between simplicity vs curiosity
    - Movements - Unsure how the finishing compare to each other, Moser has much longer power reserve and a subtle reserve indicator, while the moser has a elegant microrotor.
    - On the models I'm comparing, the bridges allow more to be exposed on the Parmigiani which is nice
    - While I'd consider both in-house, I think Moser makes their own hairsprings, and Parmigiani is a bit more fragmented in what company does what

Opinions appreciated, thanks!
    \Name:  parmigiani-tonda-monochrome-ace-jewelers-81.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  90.8 KB
    Name:  H.-Moser-Venturer-Small-Second-2.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  348.9 KB

Re: Opinions between the Parmigiani Tonda 1950 and the H Moser Venturer Small Seconds?

To me, Moser has a more interesting dial and subdial design.

Venturer case has thin bezel though and the sapphire is domed a bit, some likes it some don't, so you need to see in person.

For me personally i like Endeavour case more than Venturer, YMMV.

Re: Opinions between the Parmigiani Tonda 1950 and the H Moser Venturer Small Seconds?

For something a bit more interesting in the Tonda...what about one of the meteorite dials?

Note that Parmigiani is part of the Sandoz Family Foundation, along with Vaucher (movements) and Quadrance & Habillage (dialmaker). I think it's fair to say they're a complete manufacture, if with a slightly decentralized org chart. (And Vaucher does a lot of business elsewhere...they're 25% owned by Hermes and supply the movement for the Slim d'Hermes, among others I believe. They're also used by some microbrands.)
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have the H. Moser Venture in grey you have pictured. It certainly doesn't disappoint. Dial is amazing and plays with light very well. It is also sort of Pie Pan shaped which is hard to capture in pictures.

IMHO. Case and Crown finishing and design are much more interesting than the Tonda. I also think the H. Moser has a much cooler balance, and power reserve on the back is great feature to have.

The Tonda has a superior movement overall though. But I can't get over the 90's looking logo styling (that oval border... ) that I personally don't find timeless.

You can very subtly make out the Pie Pan here
    Name:  20190702_072224.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  176.7 KB

Name:  20190726_233135.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  101.5 KB

This is the only picture I could find that shows the Pie Pan shape where the markers meet the center
    Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  101.4 KB
    Last edited by SethThomas; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:10.
    apudabam likes this.
    Core Collection:
    BlancpaiN Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe ceramic, H. Moser & Cie Venture Small Seconds 2327-0402, Omega Aqua Terra 231.53.39.21.06.002, JLC Reverso Flyback Chrono 255.182, JLC Reverso Grande Taille 270.3.62, Rolex OP 1966 1002, Ulysee Nardin Perpetual GMT 321-22, Longines Conquest 1959, Hamilton Electric Spectra 1957, Citizen AQ 4020–54Y, Bulova Accutron Astronaut

Moser and Parmigiani wouldn’t really be considered as emerging brands – they’ve been around long enough to be established, but low-key, due to limited production and ADs.

Of those two, aside from low-light usefulness as a result of luminous filled hands, the Moser would offer a bit more value and appeal.
    That said, it’d be remiss to not suggest you have a look at pre-owned offerings from Mortiz Grossmann (Atum and Benu) and Chopard L.U.C. XPS Fairmined, depending on budgetary constraints.
    As a prime example… https://www.chrono24.com/chopard/luc...id12519779.htm. No box or papers, but Chopard can provide the former, but an authenticity certificate is a couple of hundred.

The Parmigiani has movement finishing that is on another level than on the Moser. The Pamigiani is on a Patek level here, the is Moser appears to not be hand finished on anglage. Look at the vertical graining lines...

Name:  4AD10B74-6E6D-4B3A-82D4-E9782194F918.jpeg
Views: 19
Size:  57.5 KB
    Name:  DE6F0CE9-1AD8-4FAA-AC29-90CA959DA9A4.jpeg
Views: 19
Size:  110.0 KB

If you are looking for dial presence, you might look at someone like Breguet, the guilloche is really an eye catcher in the metal... All that said, both Parmigiani and Moser are both fantastic watch makers, interesting, independent, and underrated, and I don’t think you would ever regret either choice.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Quote Originally Posted by mpalmer View Post
    The Parmigiani has movement finishing that is on another level than on the Moser. The Pamigiani is on a Patek level here, the is Moser appears to not be hand finished on anglage. Look at the vertical graining lines...

Oof those macros are revealing. Parmigiani definitely the winner here on finishing.

Thread Information