Patek Calatrava 5196J - few questions
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 21Klipz
  • 1 Post By ar7iste

Thread: Patek Calatrava 5196J - few questions

Patek Calatrava 5196J - few questions

Really love the classic look of the 5196J and am obsessed with yellow gold.

1. Does this model have a waitlist or is that generally for the Patek sports models?
    2. What kind of discount, % wise, should I generally get on this? I don't know this AD at all...
    3. This piece gets a bit of hate online, what are good alternatives in a similar price range? (Don't plan to buy anything else but am curious)

Thank you and have a great weekend!

Re: Patek Calatrava 5196J - few questions

This reply is just my opinion. My two cents.

1. Older models don't have a wait-list. I was able to find quite a few examples online.
    2. I wouldn't buy from an AD if you don't care about warranty. The mark-up's just too insane for my liking. You could get substantial savings buying pre-owned or online. I plan to get my Patek online one day.
    3. Don't care what others think. You'll be wearing the watch. I prefer the older Date-just vesus the "hot" submariners for example. It's really up to preference. You might consider the 2448 or the 3919J for starters.
    mtor91 likes this.

Hi!

This model should be fairly easy to get online at a 15% discount or a little more if you go grey market. Not sure about what you would get if you were physically going to a boutique or an AD.

Don’t worry about what people say online, buying a watch is a personal thing. However if you want to look at other options for the same price/quality, Vacheron Constantin, A Lange and Sohne and FP Journe have amazing alternatives, all fantastic in their own way. Hodinkee did a comparison (3 on 3) a little while ago: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/th...al-dress-watch

The Calatrava for me has an older design and the movement is very small for the case, so I would personally favor those 3 other options.

All the best,
    A.
    mtor91 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Just curious, whats the hate that this piece get? It's a pretty standard vanilla Calatrava.

Quote Originally Posted by seansong93 View Post
    Just curious, whats the hate that this piece get? It's a pretty standard vanilla Calatrava.
    A lot of people consider the 5196 the best calatrava. I know that my 5196P has absolutely rocketed in value since I bought it in 2015.

The said the platinum version does have a different dial setting and more prominent sub dial than the J or G versions - so maybe it gets less hate (not that I have seen the hate you seem to have experienced?)

Thread Information