Perpetual Problems?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SethThomas

Thread: Perpetual Problems?

Perpetual Problems?

I own a Kurt Klaus movement perpetual calendar, and have (fortunately) never had any issues with it. That said, I often read that perpetual calendars are fragile and ill-suited to daily wear. Ochs und Junior promotes its simplified perpetual calendar as a solution to this alleged fragility. In practice, has anyone had problems with a pusher-based perpetual calendar? Are they as truly delicate as people suggest?

Re: Perpetual Problems?

Quote Originally Posted by acpacp View Post
    I own a Kurt Klaus movement perpetual calendar, and have (fortunately) never had any issues with it. That said, I often read that perpetual calendars are fragile and ill-suited to daily wear. Ochs und Junior promotes its simplified perpetual calendar as a solution to this alleged fragility. In practice, has anyone had problems with a pusher-based perpetual calendar? Are they as truly delicate as people suggest?
    I have never had problems with my Ulysee Nardin Perpetual GMT. It uses the UN-32 movement, which is also used by Ochs und Junior (who's founder invented it before leaving UN to make his own brand).

I do not wear it daily anymore, but it still gets a good bit of use (once or twice a week in current rotation). It's taken a few knocks.

Name:  20190705_144547.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  208.9 KB
    Core Collection:
    BlancpaiN Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe ceramic, H. Moser & Cie Venturer Small Seconds 2327-0402, Omega Aqua Terra 231.53.39.21.06.002, JLC Reverso Flyback Chrono 255.182, JLC Reverso Grande Taille 270.3.62, Rolex OP 1966 1002, Ulysse Nardin Perpetual GMT 321-22, Longines Conquest 1959, Hamilton Electric Spectra 1957, Citizen AQ 4020–54Y, Bulova Accutron Astronaut, Citizen Eco Drive One AR5030-59L

I have been debating getting an Oechslin calendar. His watches represent the other main modern attempt to build a perpetual calendar movement, and are also designed for simplicity and durability. The only thing that holds me back a bit is the case size - I prefer 36mm and under.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by acpacp View Post
    I have been debating getting an Oechslin calendar. His watches represent the other main modern attempt to build a perpetual calendar movement, and are also designed for simplicity and durability. The only thing that holds me back a bit is the case size - I prefer 36mm and under.
    You shouldn't worry about it if you like it enough. Also they are very modestly sized as long as you don't get the newest model.

The model I have is 38mm, but the lug to lug is only 44.8mm. This makes it easy to wear on a small wrist.

For reference my wrist is 6.4" in diameter

Name:  20191123_115031.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  269.6 KB

Name:  20191123_115024.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  320.9 KB
    acpacp likes this.
    Core Collection:
    BlancpaiN Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe ceramic, H. Moser & Cie Venturer Small Seconds 2327-0402, Omega Aqua Terra 231.53.39.21.06.002, JLC Reverso Flyback Chrono 255.182, JLC Reverso Grande Taille 270.3.62, Rolex OP 1966 1002, Ulysse Nardin Perpetual GMT 321-22, Longines Conquest 1959, Hamilton Electric Spectra 1957, Citizen AQ 4020–54Y, Bulova Accutron Astronaut, Citizen Eco Drive One AR5030-59L

Thanks for all the photos! I'll have to think more about it. The other watch on my mind is the Ochs und Junior Annual Calendar. Their perpetual is too large for my taste. I like how Oechslin's watches can be set via the crown.

Thread Information