Question to owners of the VC Overseas 2nd gen

Thread: Question to owners of the VC Overseas 2nd gen

Question to owners of the VC Overseas 2nd gen

...I have one of those, the non-chrono version with with the modded JLC 889/2 movement. The winding efficiency is bad - once the watch stopped on my wrist!! (granted it was barely wound to start with); in general it takes a long time + an active arm to wind it. Every other watch of mine (ETA + Zenith movements) seems to wind much more efficiently.

I read somewhere that the rotor in said movement can get gummy. It is possible that the oils have dried out, too - however timekeeping seems good (have to re-locate my timegrapher to check amplitude).

So I wanted to ask the other owners their experiences....
    Last edited by harryst; July 31st, 2019 at 01:09.

Re: Question to owners of the VC Overseas 2nd gen

harryst...Hello!

Well, the short answer is: you need to keep up with Servicing the watch...any mechanism will dry out; it's just a question of the conditions under which it's used. To my mind, a good Independent shop should be entirely capable of cleaning and oiling and regulating this V&C, and you'll be able to rest easy, knowing that all's well, say, for the next two ( or a bit more...? ) years.

Michael.

I have not experienced your problem. I give mine a few winds and I'm good to go. However, I haven't checked the PR once it's off my wrist after a day or so of wearing it, but I don't think that's what you're asking.

When was it last serviced?
    Well, I was standing on a corner in Winslow, AZ and Clara Oswald slowed down to take a look at me and my GS Tiffany SnowflakeTM...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BigSeikoFan View Post
    When was it last serviced?
    Never. Bought new. 3 years ago. No idea how long it had been sitting on display/on-a-shelf before.

I did some tests w/ my other watches - let them ran down, then wound each by moving my wrist the same way for the same amount of time. Most watches got 4 hours of PR, the VC got 2.

^
    Doesn’t really tell you anything.
    Wind it fully manually (60 turns of the crown at least), then see if the PR is what it should be – around 40 hours.
    If it isn’t lasting as long as that, then you have greater frictional losses than it should have, and it could be time to have it serviced.
    If you have a local watch repair place that have a timegrapher, ask them to stick the watch on it, and see what the amplitude is like.

never had that problem with my 1st Gen VC overseas chronograph. the chrono was always engaged and i wasn't super active. that one had the awesome FP chrono movement which is a true workhorse and much thinner than any other chrono out there (PP, AP or Rolex).
    Current Collection
    Patek Philippe 5170G
    Patek Philippe 5146G
    Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chronograph 49150/B01A-9097
    Blancpain Villeret Quantieme Complete 6263A (20 years anniversary edition limited 300 pieces)
    Rolex Datejust 116234 JSRR
    Rolex GMT Master II 116710 BLNR
    Baume & Mercier Clifton Annual Calendar Chronograph M0A10280
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 311.30.42.30.01.006

@azizu787

Thread Information