Questions About AP Before Pulling the Trigger

Thread: Questions About AP Before Pulling the Trigger

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Member WatchEater666's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    458

    Questions About AP Before Pulling the Trigger

    I'm about to pull the trigger on this soon and am just trying to figure a few things out:

    1. Any other references worth looking at in this price range? I am comfortable going up to $20,000 and don't mind smaller sizes. I love this specific reference due to the moonphase. I also like to buy my watches preowned so I don't have to worry about depreciation as much or putting the first ding in them.
    2. I've heard about issues with older AP ROs - anything I need to worry about with this specific reference?
    3. Does the case look overly polished to you guys?
    4. Is the price reasonably fair? I'm fine with paying a slight premium for buying from a reputable dealer like WatchBox.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,366

    Re: Questions About AP Before Pulling the Trigger

    Pics or link would help. Watchbox is definitely reputable; owned by Govberg, I believe.

  3. #3
    Member WatchEater666's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    458

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    554

    Re: Questions About AP Before Pulling the Trigger

    Quote Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
    I'm about to pull the trigger on this soon and am just trying to figure a few things out:

    1. Any other references worth looking at in this price range? I am comfortable going up to $20,000 and don't mind smaller sizes. I love this specific reference due to the moonphase. I also like to buy my watches preowned so I don't have to worry about depreciation as much or putting the first ding in them.
    2. I've heard about issues with older AP ROs - anything I need to worry about with this specific reference?
    3. Does the case look overly polished to you guys?
    4. Is the price reasonably fair? I'm fine with paying a slight premium for buying from a reputable dealer like WatchBox.
    Hello!

    I have not personally owned any Royal Oak, so take the following as my personal opinion and with a pinch of salt.
    A few years ago I was hesitant to pull the trigger on the same model I had seen at a dealer in Paris. It was in good condition, albeit not new, and just under the $10k mark. However when I saw it, I did not really like the dial as much as I liked the 15400ST (the main RO reference at the time). The dial didn't reflect light as much and looked more "dull" to me. So, I would strongly suggest that you try it on first hand.

    The moonphase was nicely executed, and the size felt great to my small wrists, but it felt like I was settling for a cheaper RO than the ones I really enjoyed. If your budget can stretch to $20k, I believe there are many other RO references that are worth looking at (15300st are very nice if you ask me, or the 15450 maybe if you want a smaller piece).

    For your other questions:
    I do not know about older ROs issues and cannot testify for or against it.;
    The case looks polished to a degree that will take away some of the "shinyness" of the RO, which is fairly common on older models;
    The price seems a little high, but I suggest comparing on chrono24 and watchrecon, they vary quite a lot based on the availability of the pieces.

    Hope it helps.

    All the best,
    A.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,356

    Re: Questions About AP Before Pulling the Trigger

    The bracelet throws around a lot of light and kind of dances as it moves from each bracelet link as your routate it. I don't think it's overly polished and it is a stunner. Only compaints I have with it is how well it shows scratches due to the finish and the time keeping is not as accurate as my much cheaper automatics.

  7. #6
    Member WatchEater666's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    458

    Re: Questions About AP Before Pulling the Trigger

    Quote Originally Posted by m0c021 View Post
    The bracelet throws around a lot of light and kind of dances as it moves from each bracelet link as your routate it. I don't think it's overly polished and it is a stunner. Only compaints I have with it is how well it shows scratches due to the finish and the time keeping is not as accurate as my much cheaper automatics.
    You mean the one I linked doesn't look overly polished or the one you own?

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    554
    Looking at the pictures more closely of the bezel, case and bracelet, they really don’t look over polished. But again, in pictures it’s often hard to tell, in person the difference of finish and polish is what makes the RO really stand out.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,356

    Re: Questions About AP Before Pulling the Trigger

    Quote Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
    You mean the one I linked doesn't look overly polished or the one you own?
    The one you linked doesn’t look over polished. It does seem like it has been polished once or possibly twice. The bezel screws at least still sits below the bezel height wise.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  10. #9
    Member WatchEater666's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    458

    Re: Questions About AP Before Pulling the Trigger

    Quote Originally Posted by m0c021 View Post
    The one you linked doesn’t look over polished. It does seem like it has been polished once or possibly twice. The bezel screws at least still sits below the bezel height wise.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Good observation and thanks for all the advice everyone. I emailed them an offer earlier today and if they accept I should have it sooner than later!

  11. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    105

    Re: Questions About AP Before Pulling the Trigger

    Very nice, the RO is such an amazing timepiece. Looking forward to seeing some pictures of the watch.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •