Review of the new Vacheron Constantin Overeseas three hander
Like Tree258Likes

Thread: Review of the new Vacheron Constantin Overeseas three hander

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

I was recently fortunate enough to acquire the new VC Overseas. I had been waiting for it to come out, as I wanted a sporty watch with a bracelet to complement my sporty bracelet watches with white/silver/gray dials. Not expecting to see them available this soon, I unexpectedly found one at an AD, and bought it.

The new Overseas is really new, and quite different from the old one for several reasons. The dial has a different design, losing the arabic numerals (which I did not like) in favor of indices, and moving the date from 4:30 (boo!) to 3:00 (yay!):

Name:  VC Overseas old v new.jpg
Views: 4484
Size:  170.3 KB

The new one is pretty much what I consider the ideal size for me for a sport watch, 41mm x 11mm. It also sports a brand new, in house movement. So, let's get started.

Packaging is what you would expect at this level--a beautiful box, with a very nice wooden box (complete with display window) inside. Inside that is a separate travel box.

Name:  VC Blue Inside Box 1.JPG
Views: 2795
Size:  254.2 KBName:  VC Blue Inside Box 2.JPG
Views: 2763
Size:  217.2 KBName:  VC Blue Travel Box.JPG
Views: 2774
Size:  249.7 KB

Inside the travel box is a cleaning cloth, USB with documentation, and two additional straps--one rubber, one leather, both in blue to match the dial. Also included is a deployant for use with those straps. I suspect, given the quality and comfort of the bracelet, I might never use them--however, with the tool-less strap changing ability (more later) it would be tempting to try them out.

Name:  VC Blue Straps.JPG
Views: 2763
Size:  326.7 KB

Without further ado, the bluest dial I've ever seen:

Name:  VC Blue Flat 1.JPG
Views: 2758
Size:  243.1 KBName:  VC Blue Front 1.JPG
Views: 2754
Size:  231.7 KBName:  VC Blue Side 1.JPG
Views: 2742
Size:  246.4 KB

You can see a few of the features. One that is polarizing to some is the dual tracks--the minutes on the dial, and the seconds on the rehaut. Personally, I think it makes perfect sense--the minute track isn't cluttered up with unnecessary divisions, and the seconds track has the additional divisions and numbers, with the seconds hand pointing directly to them. Basically, if you need to precisely count seconds, you can do it, but it's not obtrusive if you just want to know the time to the minute. It also adds a little more interest to the dial IMO. I also like the minimal writing on the dial--just the brand name and the word Geneve (and the tiny Swiss Made at the bottom, of course). Very clean. The Maltese Cross motif appears in numerous locations--on the dial, of course, plus the bezel, the signed crown, and the links of the bracelet.

To be continued...
    Last edited by mlcor; October 21st, 2016 at 18:49.

The bracelet is amazing. As my first attempt to justify the outrageous price of the watch, just look at the theme of beautiful brushing contrasting with polishing and bevels (which theme is repeated on the bezel vs. the case, and in the movement):

Note the polishing on the sides of the links and also the incredible detail of the angled and polished bevels in the center of the links:

Oh yes, it's also extremely comfortable, a double butterfly design, with a lovely Maltese Cross over the clasp:

You can also see from the first picture that the watch lies quite flat for 11mm. This one shows it, too:

Next, some views of the dial and movement.
    Last edited by mlcor; October 21st, 2016 at 18:55.

Re: Review of the new Vacheron Constantin Overeseas three hander

So, dial details. I really like the pointer at the end of the seconds hand, and the date window is immaculately framed and finished.

Name:  VC Blue Seconds Hand Tip.JPG
Views: 2646
Size:  168.7 KB

The Maltese Cross:

Name:  VC Blue Cross.JPG
Views: 2625
Size:  141.8 KB

The indices are very nice as well, and filled with lume, the markers at 12, 6 and 9 being larger (and lumey-er).

Name:  VC Blue Indices Macro.JPG
Views: 2630
Size:  237.8 KB
    Last edited by mlcor; October 21st, 2016 at 20:28.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The movement is VC's new 5100, the base movement used for all of the new Overseas models. It beats at a modern 28,800 vph, and has a 60 hour power reserve, using twin barrels for constant torque. The movement has the Geneva hallmark, and sports a gorgeous 22 carat gold rotor with a compass motif.

Name:  VC Blue Back 2.JPG
Views: 2605
Size:  209.8 KBName:  VC Blue Back 4.JPG
Views: 2619
Size:  440.1 KB

As you would expect, the finishing is excellent, and continues the theme of smooth polished surfaces and textured surfaces transitioning throughout:

Name:  VC Blue Movement Macro 1.JPG
Views: 2587
Size:  257.7 KBName:  VC Blue Movement Macro 2.JPG
Views: 2591
Size:  141.4 KBName:  VC Blue Movement Macro 3.JPG
Views: 2583
Size:  138.6 KBName:  VC Blue Movement Macro 4.JPG
Views: 2589
Size:  161.1 KBName:  VC Blue Movement Macro 5.JPG
Views: 2588
Size:  156.3 KB

Note the polishing on the top side edges of even the smallest parts, transitioning to unpolished below. The rotor is also spectacular in its use of contrasting textures:

Name:  VC Blue Rotor Macro 1.JPG
Views: 2584
Size:  251.0 KB

Almost forgot--the movement is rated to 150m, and also is anti-magnetic, a good trick with a display back accomplished with an iron ring inside the case (still doesn't feel particularly heavier than my other steel bracelet watches).

Also, note the little tab on the inside of the bracelet in the top two pictures--this is a quick release mechanism to change straps/bracelet. You simply pull down on the tab with a fingernail, and the bracelet or strap releases. To re-install, simply pull down on the tab and slip it back into place, then release the tab. I did it to take one of the photos, and it was quite simple. Proprietary, to be sure, but given that they supply three choices, I think it's excellent.

Wrist shots to follow...
    Last edited by mlcor; October 21st, 2016 at 20:33.

Finally, some wrist shots in an attempt (unsuccessfully) to demonstrate just how beautiful the dial is.

There may be one or two more watches in my future, but I think with this one, I'm done with the really high end ones.

Name:  VC Blue Wrist 1.JPG
Views: 2580
Size:  309.8 KBName:  VC Blue Wrist 3.JPG
Views: 2567
Size:  269.8 KBName:  VC Blue Wrist 4.JPG
Views: 2568
Size:  259.5 KBName:  VC Blue Wrist 5.JPG
Views: 2559
Size:  265.8 KB

Almost forgot, the one thing I was very surprised about, and view as a negative--the movement does not hack. I don't know if that's a VC thing (my Traditionelle doesn't hack, either, but neither do most manual wind dress watches, I think) or what, but I find it very strange for a newly designed movement going into a sports watch. It's not a deal breaker for me, and the positives far outweigh that minor detail, but still surprising to me.

Also forgot a lume shot--the lume I'd rate as a "B."

Name:  VC Blue lume.JPG
Views: 2538
Size:  70.0 KB
    Last edited by mlcor; October 21st, 2016 at 20:36.

All your pictures are broken.
    Jaeger-LeCoultre - Nomos - What's Next?

Quote Originally Posted by Monad View Post
    Oh no! Can someone else confirm that? They show up fine on my computer...

They're not showing up on Tapatalk. I will fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Monad View Post
    I was so excited to click this thread only to be so disappointed when none of the pictures worked :(

Quote Originally Posted by m0c021 View Post
    I was so excited to click this thread only to be so disappointed when none of the pictures worked :(
    First two posts are fixed, will work on the others as soon as the forum is back up on my computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MarqDePombal and skinniks like this.

epX

Wow, huge congrats! Went to the boutique today where they had both, the blue and the silver dial version. Judging by the pictures I've seen online, I thought I would prefer the blue dial, but seeing both side by side in person, personally I slightly prefer the silver dial. The blue dial is really stunning in person and together with the shiny finish makes it more flashy. The silver dial is a lot more understated and the matte finish makes it more legible. Either way, I'm very impressed with the watch.

Name:  FullSizeRender_1.jpg
Views: 2549
Size:  482.8 KBName:  IMG_7744.JPG
Views: 2552
Size:  493.9 KB
    Last edited by epX; October 21st, 2016 at 20:07.

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information