Richard Mille On The Wrist - What you guys think?
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Richard Mille On The Wrist - What you guys think?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Richard Mille On The Wrist - What you guys think?

Visiting the empty Richard Mille store in LA this wknd reminded me that I had one on my wrist earlier this year. Wanted to ask any owners or users who have worn it your impressions, or what you think of your RM.

I was visiting New York for the first time in a few years back in May. Met up with a close friend of mine to catch up and this RM035 was on his wrist - Richard Mille "Baby Nadal". I respectfully waited until the end of dinner to jump at the question of trying it on.

It was my first time with one on. It felt so light (almost insignificant) compared to my SS Rolex GMT but I think that's the point since Rafa is supposed to be able to play with the watch on. The skeleton dial on watches are always really intriguing to stare into. Restaurant lighting wasn't the best and I'm not a watchmaker so can't comment on precision of finishes. Don't think I'll have the funds for this price tag any time soon, but it was a pretty cool experience.

Watch is 48mm tall x 39.7mm wide. 7" wrist.

How would you compare it to your current pieces?

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-08-26 at 1.46.45 PM.png
Views: 205
Size:  370.3 KB
    Tongdaeng and ericht like this.
    __

"Time and tide wait for no man, the future depends on what we do in the present."

Re: Richard Mille On The Wrist - What you guys think?

I respect them for what they are but not really my style and they are too flashy for me. To each their own though and nothing wrong with owning one if that's your favorite aesthetic.

For similar money, I'd prefer something by FP Journe or a Lange 1 with TB.
    Sebast975 and SLWoodster like this.

Personally, I think that RM has lost its way, horologically if not from a financial POV. They started out by trying to push the boundaries of timekeeping technologies. Now I see them as just pushing the boundaries of good taste and price. Plus on many of them, it is virtually impossible to see the hands well enough to tell the time. YMMV.
    Sebast975, SLWoodster and dwalby like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

While I do admit that, branding wise, they are simply unmistakable on the wrist, I am just not a huge fan of how they look. Sure, they can take intense bumps and shocks, but I can also wear a GShock if I really feel like abusing my wristwear. Overall, I can see their appeal to some, but they're just not specifically my taste.

I see them quite often in restaurants but have not at all been impressed by the aesthetic. My guess is that most of the demand is driven by a desire to flash wealth conspicuously.
    dwalby likes this.

They're not my style, either. Plus (and this is shallow and petty), I'm not a fan of Rafa, and would pass on the brand solely due to his ambassadorship (or whatever he is to them).

They're far beyond...no, make that GALAXIES AWAY...from anything I could afford. That said, I share the common criticisms. They by and large have taken avant garde too far. Legibility is often poor, sometimes even terrible. I get the durability, I get the desire to own something off the beaten track...but with the possible exception of e.g. a Bulgari Serpenti, where being stunning jewelry is the main point, don't lose sight of a watch's job.

BTW, others will likely disagree but I think that watch head is too big for your wrist, by a fair bit.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

Looks great. I love RM. They make incredible high end watches and the case shape is very comfortable. When I win lottery I will buy RM011 Lotus.
    Last edited by murokello; August 27th, 2019 at 06:39.
    SLWoodster likes this.

I’m just waiting for them to lose 98% of their resale value so I can pick one up...

...and I’m still waiting...
    SLWoodster and ZIPERIAN like this.

I actually quite like the RM016 - less complicated and easier to read than many of their watches. Though the tonneau style case and complications are what they’re known for, this other style flies under the radar a bit - at least, as much as any RM can - and maybe fits under the cuff a bit better too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information