Seeking advice on a vintage Vacheron Constantin 6457
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Michael Maddan

Thread: Seeking advice on a vintage Vacheron Constantin 6457

Seeking advice on a vintage Vacheron Constantin 6457

I'm trying to decide whether to buy this VC 6457 with a K1001 movement. I'd appreciate any advice from the experts here if based on these photos anything of concern stands out. The seller thinks the crown might have been replaced, saying that the gold looks yellower than that of the case. From this photo this appears to be so. It also looks smaller than the crowns on other images of the 6457 I can find. Other than that, the case looks like it might have been polished. Anything else I should be worried about?

Name:  vacheronfront.jpeg
Views: 68
Size:  111.3 KBName:  vacheron_back.jpeg
Views: 66
Size:  203.4 KBName:  vacherontiming.jpeg
Views: 65
Size:  134.9 KBName:  vacheronbackclosed.jpeg
Views: 64
Size:  103.8 KBName:  vacheroncrownextended.jpeg
Views: 61
Size:  110.3 KBName:  vacheroncrown.jpeg
Views: 61
Size:  83.5 KBName:  vacheronside.jpeg
Views: 60
Size:  85.1 KB

Re: Seeking advice on a vintage Vacheron Constantin 6457

Stay away.
    Wrong crown, over polish, wrong bracelet, dial is disaster ... who knows what more.
    It can be cheap, but much better is to buy a good one. Normally, better to buy good one than no matter how cheap, but not good.

bitt3n...Hello!

So: There is always a question as relates to the purchaser's intent: are you buying to USE, or INVEST?

If you're interested in this Vacheron as a Investment...watch out! The condition is what it is, yes?

Then again: If you're planning to actually use this watch--and the price is 'good'--it may be a Very Good buy! The movement certainly looks clean and well-cared for, and the case--while certainly a bit shiny for some tastes (!)--still looks OK. The dial may be refinished to a high standard, and will look just fine. When you're done, you'll have a World Class watch, that's been restored to a good standard, and should run well for decades with not all that much fuss.

...of course: all this suggests that you will NOT send it back to V&C for the work: to do so=Financial Meltdown!

Finally: there are many watches that show wear and, consequently, need a little TLC. Sure, these pieces will never be 'Really Valuable' ( at least, not unless there's some Event that makes all the other, more-original watches go away...), but they DO have a Life of their own, and seem to me to deserve a second chance at being what they were, after all, originally made to do: keep time / look good / add a little fun to our Life!

Michael.
    GrouchoM likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned
    I'm no expert, but what I don't see that I would expect to see on a watch that old is some sort of scrawl on the inside of the caseback from the watchmakers, at least one, who serviced it over the years.

Thanks for the advice everybody. This would not be an investment but something to wear. The dial is actually the part I'm least worried about, as I actually like beat-up look the way it is. However given the condition of case and the fact the crown is incorrect and the wrong color (as well as the cheapness of the band/buckle), I'm not sure it's worth the asking price of $2.2K when examples without these issues (and even with original box/papers) appear to be available for about $1K more. One advantage is that the seller services watches, so the watch has been serviced already. I'm leaning toward following the advice here and passing on it.

Thread Information