Suggestion - Ideal GMT everyday watch
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Suggestion - Ideal GMT everyday watch

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Suggestion - Ideal GMT everyday watch

Hello,

I happen to have 0 GMT watches in my collection, and it would make a lot of sense to add one. First my family lives in Europe, and second I travel a lot for business or have meetings with people in various countries, and it could be useful. I have always liked the idea at least, even though it takes half a second to do the math in your head.

So, as a next watch opportunity, I am considering a GMT watch, that I could wear on trips, with everything that it involves: semi formal meetings, weekends to explore cities and around, visits of manufacturing plants, and local activities.

What would be your suggestions for a not too boring GMT watch, ideally without a 24 hour marked bezel, and without a GMT hand, for max $10k used? The cheaper the better.

Here are my ideas so far:

Montblanc Nicolas Rieussec Chronograph GMT (very interesting dial layout and movement)

Name:  ba97794a7928125eedf4e82d9f838aaa.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  107.2 KB

JLC geophysic universal time

Name:  home_image.4437428.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  145.5 KB

And a fairly cheap one that I like in design, IWC Spitfire UTC

Name:  619248abce97f2a2de0f30f83887ca44_large.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  503.7 KB

The Blancpain dual time zone is super nice too, but in Precious metal I am not sure about the versatility of the piece.

I am curious to see what I could have missed. Just as an hint, it should be not too easily recognizable for non-WIS as this watch will likely travel a lot. I love Panerai designs but my wrists are too small to have a PAM233. And I do not like GP's WWTC design even though they are affordable.

Thank you for your suggestions!

All the best,
    A.
    kennkez likes this.

Re: Suggestion - Ideal GMT everyday watch

Nice… not bad… okay.
    The Montblanc though, has a GMT hand, but I’ll make a couple of suggestions straight off the bat… while I think of some other potential candidates.

Ulysse Nardin Dual Time Manufacture – LE blue dial version (3343-126LE/93), or the beautiful manually wound white Grande Feu (3243-132/E0).
    Both are 42mm and probably sharing the same case as the original 126/92, which means its bracelet should be a perfect fit, if you didn’t fancy leather all the time.

You’ve also got the Executive version, and the more sports orientated model with humungous lume on its hands and those big 12 & 6 numerals.

Luckily, my other favourite GMT, the Glashutte Original Cosmopolite is far too big for you (44mm, and wears every mm of it), otherwise you might be tempted to blow the budget.
    Last edited by PJ S; August 28th, 2019 at 21:53.
    ar7iste likes this.

While not really "high end" -- I love my Nomos Zurich Weltzeit Nachtblau. I like the implementation of the GMT function (where the time display shows your current time where you know if it's day/night) and there is a small 24 hour disc for home time. It's novel, easy to use, and not visually intrusive. At around $6K new it's hard to beat the price for something you expect to knock around a lot on planes, trains, etc. It dresses up nicely on the supplied Horween strap, but I've worn it trekking in the jungle on NATO as well. It's a well made watch -- the movement finishing is great for the price and the pusher action is very crisp.
    stolen-gmt-master likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Tudor BB GMT. Half the price you're looking, in-house movement, can be worn for diving as well sporty/dressy enough for many occasions. I have never had an issue wearing my Black Bay Blue in formal occasions.

That JLC is very nice although my eyes would have trouble reading it. There's another JLC you could consider, which is the Master HomeTime. The second hour hand remains hidden beneath the local time hour hand unless/until you need it. There's a 24 hour indicator tied to home time, and a date tied to local time. I have a hard to find, special edition of it:

Name:  JLC November 2016.JPG
Views: 257
Size:  184.5 KB

There's a standard white dial version that is more available, although I don't like it as much as my black dial version:

Name:  Jaeger-LeCoultre-Master-Hometime_1628430_art_4235_bild1_1368690986.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  156.1 KB
    spidaman likes this.

Define high end??

CTSteve likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jmanlay View Post
    Define high end??

The OP requested "ideally without a 24 hour marked bezel, and without a GMT hand"

Two I spotted on WatchRecon:
    Panerai Luminor 1950 8-Days GMT ''Dot Dial'' 44mm PAM233

Bell & Ross Vintage BR126 GMT Flyback Chronograph

If there are any typos in this post, I blame Tapatalk!

Quote Originally Posted by GrouchoM View Post
    The OP requested "ideally without a 24 hour marked bezel, and without a GMT hand"
    Yes key word “ideally”

Thank you for the suggestions!

It doesn't have to be high end, of course it's better if it is and if the movement finishing is interesting, but really I want a piece that's comfortable to wear and cool to look at, for whatever reasons that might be (interesting dial, incredible finish of the surfaces, cool complication, badass design, etc.).

The Ulysse Nardin Dual time is mighty fine, I may have to go try it on. Not a big fan of the executive line though.
    JLC make nice pieces, and I'm actually contemplating a Reverso duoface (tribute or tribute moon or other model). The Master home time doesn't appeal that much to me right now.
    As for Grand Seiko, I really want to add a Spring Drive to my collection, but I am not grabbed by any of their case design, while at the same time I admire the finishing of their dials.
    The Tudor however is a no. If I want that kind of design, I'll just get a 16710 Pepsi and call it a day. It's more elegant, versatile, and timeless.

Keep the suggestions coming, I am discovering just how vast the GMT world is!
    spidaman likes this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information