Thinking of Buying Breguet While Traveling in Europe (as a memory)--price difference in Switzerland?
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Thinking of Buying Breguet While Traveling in Europe (as a memory)--price difference in Switzerland?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Thinking of Buying Breguet While Traveling in Europe (as a memory)--price difference in Switzerland?

I am hoping to have occasion to buy my grail (a Breguet 7147) for my 40th in 2021. The plan is to buy while traveling in Europe. I realize this probably isn't the way to maximize the savings overall, but because this is a once-in-a-lifetime purchase for me I wanted to do it in a memorable fashion.

Breguet's history is obviously complicated, with AL himself being from Switzerland/Prussia, founding his empire in France, only to have it eventually go back to Switzerland. With that being said, would there be any significant difference in the asking price for a Breguet in Switzerland (as the country of manufacture) over, say, their flagship boutique in Paris? For the experience, I would prefer to purchase in France, but if there is a meaningful difference in cost I would at least explore the idea of doing so in Switzerland.

Thank you!
    HAVE WANT GRAIL
    -Citizen Skyhawk A-T -Panerai Radiomir 1144 -Breguet 7147 (Enamel/Rose Gold)
    -Orient Sun & Moon v3 -Sinn 356 Sa Pilot II
    -Red Star One Hander -Rado Captain Cook (Green)
    -Casio G-Shock DW-6900-1V
    -Archimede Pilot Type B (Bronze)
    -Seagull M172S (Resurrected)

Re: Thinking of Buying Breguet While Traveling in Europe (as a memory)--price difference in Switzerl

Do it only if you want to pay premium.

Re: Thinking of Buying Breguet While Traveling in Europe (as a memory)--price difference in Switzerl

Quote Originally Posted by Actium View Post
    I am hoping to have occasion to buy my grail (a Breguet 7147) for my 40th in 2021. The plan is to buy while traveling in Europe. I realize this probably isn't the way to maximize the savings overall, but because this is a once-in-a-lifetime purchase for me I wanted to do it in a memorable fashion.

Breguet's history is obviously complicated, with AL himself being from Switzerland/Prussia, founding his empire in France, only to have it eventually go back to Switzerland. With that being said, would there be any significant difference in the asking price for a Breguet in Switzerland (as the country of manufacture) over, say, their flagship boutique in Paris? For the experience, I would prefer to purchase in France, but if there is a meaningful difference in cost I would at least explore the idea of doing so in Switzerland.

Thank you!
    I think a better memory will be getting the Bruegel 7147 up to 45% off MSRP in the used or grey market. You now have $9000 left over to get another extremely nice watch on the used or grey market.
    Core Collection:
    BlancpaiN Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe ceramic, H. Moser & Cie Venturer Small Seconds 2327-0402, Omega Aqua Terra 231.53.39.21.06.002, JLC Reverso Flyback Chrono 255.182, JLC Reverso Grande Taille 270.3.62, Rolex OP 1966 1002, Ulysse Nardin Perpetual GMT 321-22, Longines Conquest 1959, Hamilton Electric Spectra 1957, Citizen AQ 4020–54Y, Bulova Accutron Astronaut, Citizen Eco Drive One AR5030-59L

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

At a minimum you will have to pay 20% VAT in France. If you reside outside the EU, you should be able to recover the VAT by filing for a refund, but as with all bureaucracies the key word is "should".

The more important consideration is likely the availability of the Breguet you want. Breguet produces in very small quantities so it is not guaranteed that any watch you want will be available for purchase at a dealer or boutique.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'm not interested in going the used or grey market. I'm fully aware of how silly it is, but one of my driving motivations is to have my name inscribed in the Breguet records, and in order to do that I would have to go new and official.

I'm based in the States so I "should" (to borrow from the previous post) be able to get a refund of VAT, but I would be on the hook for customs coming back.

I realize I will be paying a premium for the experience, but I'm willing to do that. I guess my only question would be, in the universe of overpaying, would there be any functional difference for a US buyer to purchase in France versus Switzerland?

Edited to add:

Looking over my post, I think I already have my answer. If I'm doing this for the records and history, I'd have to do this in Paris (since that the records are kept in the Breguet Museum there, and that's where much of the history is). Thanks for helping my talk it out.

I know it might be viewed as needlessly spending more than I have to, but this is important to me and my wife (who is an enthusiastic supporter of this idea)
    Last edited by Actium; December 14th, 2019 at 16:34. Reason: More thoughts
    SethThomas likes this.
    HAVE WANT GRAIL

If it has high value to you, it cannot be described as unnecessary.

It's far, far beyond my means, but the 7147 is IMO about as close to perfect, for a dress watch, as exists. I wish you joy with it.

AND WE WANT PICTURES!
    Actium likes this.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

Quote Originally Posted by gangrel View Post
    If it has high value to you, it cannot be described as unnecessary.

It's far, far beyond my means, but the 7147 is IMO about as close to perfect, for a dress watch, as exists. I wish you joy with it.

AND WE WANT PICTURES!
    If I am actually able to achieve it, I will be sure to post them obnoxiously often! LOL (it's far beyond my means too tbh...)
    HAVE WANT GRAIL

If you are set on getting it in Paris, you have plenty of time before you go, so there should be no reason that you can’t pre-order it. That way you get around any waiting time and you can ensure that it is available when you go.
    Actium likes this.
    Omega SMP 300 Chrono
    Omega 8500 Aqua Terra
    Omega 2500 Orange PO
    Vintage Omega Geneve
    Chopard GT XL
    Bell & Ross BR03-92 Ceramic

Oh the days when one could save substantially buying timepieces in Switzerland. I remember my first nice purchase. 1982, Lucerne Switzerland, a stainless Rolex sub/date for $742.00. It is a memory I'll always cherish and started me down the road to this hobby. I say if you have the budget to cover the additional cost of the "experience" go for it !!
    Actium likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Actium View Post

Thank you!
    From my experience when living in Paris (I am French), the brand boutiques offer very little discounts, but the retail stores (like Bucherer) carry the same brands and can usually do 12% to 15% off MSRP based on the model. You can probably even get to 20% on certain brands.

The boutique could possibly do 3%, but usually they are more keen to offer straps and goodies for free rather than lowering their own prices. Just my experience, maybe it has changed since then but that is basically what happened when I bought my Omega from the main Omega boutique (and it is a Swatch group policy as far as I am aware). The champagne is good however and the branded wallets, pens, and card holders are fun items.
    Actium likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information