Thoughts on gold handwound chrono: Breguet, Ulysse Nardin, or Vacheron Constantin?
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Thoughts on gold handwound chrono: Breguet, Ulysse Nardin, or Vacheron Constantin?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thoughts on gold handwound chrono: Breguet, Ulysse Nardin, or Vacheron Constantin?

Hi, I'm thinking about getting a gold, hand wound chronograph that would be my most dressy and most expensive watch. After some reasearch, I have focused on three choices:

Breguet Classique 3237
    Ulysee Nardin Monopusher Anniversary
    VC Historique

They are all about 37-38mm, quite slim, dual register, gold, with nice handwound movements and display backs, and the price used for each is close enough (approx. $10k-15k) not to be a deciding factor.

They are differnt but each has a classic, dressy style. The UN has an amazing movement designed by F.P. Journe. The VC is probably the most truly "high end". I like the history of Breguet and the fact Dr. Stephen Maturin wears a Breguet in the Aubrey novels.

What would you pick and why?

Thanks

Photos:
    Attached Images Attached Images

BLANCPAIN 7002 ROLEX 14270 IWC 3239 OMEGA 2234.50.00 ZODIAC Super Sea Wolf BWC Chronograph

Re: Thoughts on gold handwound chrono: Breguet, Ulysse Nardin, or Vacheron Constantin?

It's an interesting selection, though for me, I would question why you would want a chronograph if you were buying a dress watch? I see a chrono as very much a tool and I wouldn't use gold that way. Of course, each to their own and I'm not saying that you shouldn't put a chrono in a gold case.

Of the three, the Breguet would be my preference as the face is less busy and the reason that is important is that I believe that you will probably keep this watch. In general, as we age, our eyes are not as good as they were when we were young and you will find that the face becomes harder to see. All that Tachymeter info on the other two watches may become a blur and you wouldn't want to regret buying the watch in the years to come.

Good luck with your decision.
    mnf67 likes this.
    Omega SMP 300 Chrono
    Omega 8500 Aqua Terra
    Omega 2500 Orange PO
    Vintage Omega Geneve
    Chopard GT XL
    Bell & Ross BR03-92 Ceramic

Re: Thoughts on gold handwound chrono: Breguet, Ulysse Nardin, or Vacheron Constantin?

I would second the Breguet recommendation, if you are truly looking for the most dressy piece. Although I am a big fan of VC, Breguet's guilloché dials are spectacular, and the dial of this one is very clean and symmetrical (the asymmetry of some Breguet dress watches is a problem for me, personally).
    mnf67 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

This watches are not a dress watches.
    VC is my choice.

The traditional gold, handwound chronograph is my favorite watch. For me it was between a VC Traditionnelle, an ALS 1815, or really stretch to the Patek 5170P. While I am a Breguet fan, I am finding the styling too ornate with the coin edge and now prefer a conservative design.

Ultimately, the VC was the most traditional choice, despite its 42mm size. I dismissed the ALS first, as I had owned a Lange 1 and didnt really connect with it and the non-centered subdials did not sit right with me. The Patek was an awful financial stretch, and would have been hard to get as I dont have any strong AD relationships. A Montblanc with the Minerva movement was anther consideration, but I thought a watch from the trinity would be a better buy. I also looked at the VC Cornes Vache, but I like the hands on the Traditionnelle better, and despite Hodinkee PR, I wasnt sure I would love the fancy lugs for the rest of my days.

I dont wear the watch that often, but when I do, I have found that it does catch the eye. At watch guy gatherings, someone always wants to see the movement and feel the pusher action (which is amazing), and I have noticed a few people flat out staring at it at restaurants trying to ID it. Ultimately I am very happy with it, and its been a great special occasion watch.

Name:  KP2_9688.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  2.40 MB
    denmanproject and Azizu like this.
    IWC Aquatimer Chronograph "Jacques Yves Cousteau", IWC Portuguese 7-Day Automatic, JLC Deep Sea Cermet, JLC Tribute to Polaris 1965, Panerai 233 "Dot", Panerai 439 Oro Rosso, Patek Philippe 5130 World Time, Rolex Milgauss, Rolex Seadweller, Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chronograph, Vacheron Constantin Overseas World Time. Vacheron Constantin Patrimony Traditionnelle Chronograph.

IG: bvllitt

Beautiful watch. I would also prefer more simple lugs on the VC Cornes Vache, but I prefer the smaller size.
    BLANCPAIN 7002 ROLEX 14270 IWC 3239 OMEGA 2234.50.00 ZODIAC Super Sea Wolf BWC Chronograph

I have no use for a chrono and traded the one I had. BUT --I really like the Breguet and the VC.

I don't really use or need the countdown functions but I find something admirable about how complicated the chrono function is, and I like the visual interest and symmetry of a bi-compax layout.

Aesthetically, I prefer the Breguet. It is classic and the dial less busy. Of course, YMMV. Plus, as you note, Stephen Maturin had a Breguet pocket watch.... a minute repeater. One of THOSE can be had in the $6-8k range (albeit for a late 19th/early 20th century model). I hope you find the watch that puts a huge grin on your face!

The Breguet is the most appealing to me, albeit would go with the VC because I’m of the brand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information