Thoughts on VC overseas value
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Thoughts on VC overseas value

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thoughts on VC overseas value

Hi All,

So I am pretty sure I want to jump in a get the CV overseas dual time Gen 3. Its really nice and I feel like a great complement to my collection. In order to really feel good about it, I intend to sell by DJ41 in blue. I am not one to always think of value and certainly not into watches to make money, but in thinking about dumping the DJ, I could not help but think about the future value of the VC.

Currently, I would get rid of the DJ will little to no loss. The VC retails at 22.5k and I can already see the grey market at 19k. Last gen of the watch is sitting at 13k. My assumption is that this will happen to the current gen as well which seems like a really steep drop. I usually buy used on watches that will take that perceptive hit but also cant find a used one. I will say for a watch that has been around for 3 years it is strange not to see used ones and maybe that will speak to future value.

Thoughts?

Re: Thoughts on VC overseas value

Just a note: The new generation of overseas has new in-house movements (I think that includes the dual times), but the MSRP on the Gen 2 was $18,600 I believe.

Looks like the Gen 3 Dual Times are $17-19K used, vs. $22.5k MSRP
    Gen 2 is $11-13k used, vs. $18,600 MSRP
    Last edited by kak1154; November 19th, 2019 at 20:01.
    slcbbrown likes this.
    @watchalefty on Instagram

Vacheron Constantin FiftySix Day-Date, Glashutte Original PanomaticLunar, H. Moser & Cie Pioneer, JLC MUT Moon, Vicenterra Tycho Brahe, Breitling Navitimer
    , Zenith 36'000 VPH, Habring2 Foudroyante, IWC Ingenieur 3239, Nomos Metro 38, Omega Planet Ocean

Quote Originally Posted by kak1154 View Post
    Just a note: The new generation of overseas has new in-house movements (not sure on the dual time, maybe that's the same movement as Gen 2), but the MSRP on the Gen 2 is $18,600 I believe.
    Good call out. That actually does help.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

There are several dual time OS on watchrecon right now. As a multiple gen/piece Overseas owner I think they are a great watch with some definite pro and cons. If you buy used, the resale can work for you, and that would be my recommendation if the value drop concerns you. It may or may not hold like a Rolex DJ, but datejusts are not really rare or in high demand. I wouldnt hesitate too much about selling one.

As far as the VC, I really do recomend the third gen if you can swing the cost. The straps alone make it a very versatile piece, and while it took me a while, the shape profile and dial sizes are a bit nicer than the second gens. Plus the geneva seal and exhibition back make for quite a nice upgrade.
    slcbbrown and Mbarmash like this.
    Breguet Type XX, IWC Aquatimer Chronograph "Jacques Yves Cousteau", IWC Portuguese 7-Day Automatic, JLC Deep Sea Cermet, JLC Tribute to Polaris 1965, Omega Speedmaster Professional, Panerai 233 "Dot", Panerai 439 Oro Rosso, Patek Philippe 5130 World Time, Rolex Datejust, Rolex Seadweller, Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chronograph, Vacheron Constantin Overseas World Time. Vacheron Constantin Patrimony Traditionnelle Chronograph.

IG: bvllitt

Quote Originally Posted by Mbarmash View Post
    Hi All,

So I am pretty sure I want to jump in a get the CV overseas dual time Gen 3. Its really nice and I feel like a great complement to my collection. In order to really feel good about it, I intend to sell by DJ41 in blue. I am not one to always think of value and certainly not into watches to make money, but in thinking about dumping the DJ, I could not help but think about the future value of the VC.

Currently, I would get rid of the DJ will little to no loss. The VC retails at 22.5k and I can already see the grey market at 19k. Last gen of the watch is sitting at 13k. My assumption is that this will happen to the current gen as well which seems like a really steep drop. I usually buy used on watches that will take that perceptive hit but also cant find a used one. I will say for a watch that has been around for 3 years it is strange not to see used ones and maybe that will speak to future value.

Thoughts?
    My thought is that - if you're looking at which watch is likely to hold its value better - it's probably going to be the VC.

Why do I make that claim? Well:
    1. The grey market is already flooded with DJ, which is to say, a DJ is not a hard watch to get. Even with the current Rolex shortages, that really hasn't changed the availability or price point for DJ on the grey market.
    2. The price for steel sports Rolex has risen sharply. The price for steel sports Patek has blown through the bloody roof. The price for steel sports AP has gone up several thousands. Assuming this trend continues, at some point in time, you'll see VC sports models rise in value, because that will be one of the next go-to steel sports watches at the high-end. The operative phrase being, "assuming this trend continues."

Were I a betting man, my money would be on the VC. I can say with total honesty that I regret not jumping on a Patek Aquanaut Travel Time when it could've been had sub $30K a few years back, and is now going in the $70s.

Regards,
    Alysandir
    slcbbrown and Nikrnic like this.
    • Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15500ST.OO.1220ST.02
    • Blancpain Bathyscaphe Chronographe 5200.1110.70B
    • Bremont Boeing Model 247 Ti-GMT
    • Casio G-Shock GW2310FB-1CR
    • Casio G-Shock Frogman GWFD1000B-1
    • Grand Seiko Snowflake Gen1 SBGA011
    • Omega Globemaster 130.33.39.21.03.001
    • Omega Grey Side of the Moon 311.93.44.51.99.001
    • Oris Aquis "Source of Life" LE 01 733 7730 4125
    • Oris Aquis "Staghorn Restoration" LE 01.735.7734.4185
    • Rolex Daytona 116523-WSO/78593
    • Rolex Submariner 114060

You can do better than $19k for that watch. More like $17k.

Quote Originally Posted by Alysandir View Post
    My thought is that - if you're looking at which watch is likely to hold its value better - it's probably going to be the VC.

Why do I make that claim? Well:
    1. The grey market is already flooded with DJ, which is to say, a DJ is not a hard watch to get. Even with the current Rolex shortages, that really hasn't changed the availability or price point for DJ on the grey market.
    2. The price for steel sports Rolex has risen sharply. The price for steel sports Patek has blown through the bloody roof. The price for steel sports AP has gone up several thousands. Assuming this trend continues, at some point in time, you'll see VC sports models rise in value, because that will be one of the next go-to steel sports watches at the high-end. The operative phrase being, "assuming this trend continues."

Were I a betting man, my money would be on the VC. I can say with total honesty that I regret not jumping on a Patek Aquanaut Travel Time when it could've been had sub $30K a few years back, and is now going in the $70s.

Regards,
    Alysandir
    Really like the analysis but completely disagree about the VC future-value. Higher end watches that don't drop in value are a rare exception, and the current Rolex bubble isn't a harbinger of prices for other brands, IMO. VC OS's have always been made in small numbers vs DJ's, but that hasn't kept them from depreciating like most.

I think the VC is a great choice, and it's a good time to dump a DJ to help with the upgrade.

Well I went with heart and just bought it. I got a decent price on new which was enough for me. Right now I can sell the DJ for what I bought it for and I now have an amazing piece.

If I lose some in the long term thatís ok. I was just worried about a huge drop off. Since not a ton of these have actually been sold I have a feeling they may stabilize on the slightly negative side. I doubt it will go up but if I can only lose a couple grand I guess thatís ok. Right now, itís such a fun piece on the wrist that I donít think this question will come up for a while.

Thanks again. Really appreciate all the feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    apudabam, islands62 and spidaman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mbarmash View Post
    Well I went with heart and just bought it. I got a decent price on new which was enough for me. Right now I can sell the DJ for what I bought it for and I now have an amazing piece.

If I lose some in the long term that’s ok. I was just worried about a huge drop off. Since not a ton of these have actually been sold I have a feeling they may stabilize on the slightly negative side. I doubt it will go up but if I can only lose a couple grand I guess that’s ok. Right now, it’s such a fun piece on the wrist that I don’t think this question will come up for a while.

Thanks again. Really appreciate all the feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good stuff. How about a wrist shot?
    ndrs63 likes this.

Even at list, the VCO is one of the best value in the hobby at the moment. It's mind blowing that these can be had below list given the hysteria around steel sports watches at the moment. IMO it's a better watch for the 3 hander than a 5711 or 15500; name brand premium aside. I haven't gotten as nerdy about the dual time movement.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information