Thoughts on Zeitwerk Date
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Thoughts on Zeitwerk Date

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thoughts on Zeitwerk Date

Hi All,

After a bit of consolidation, and maybe a little more coming soon, my watch fund is pretty substantial.

I think I told some of you I was eyeing the Duometre, MUT Gold Moon, and Lange Saxonia Moon. All more than easily within my reach now but not sure if I want to do it.

I brought my wife to the dealer to look at the Duometre, I loved it again, and my wife, while not completely sold, agreed it's a nice piece.

The salesman said he would "call me back while I was at happy hour" that same day, but he never did. I was asking for a better bargain with a wire instead of a credit card purchase. He never called me back. I forgot about it, but then emailed him after a couple of days, he never emailed me back.

I am a bit sour about it now, sorry if that is immature.

Any-who, I think I might just build the watch fund a bit more over the next year.

If I wait, i'll likely be within reach of a Zeitwerk date, and maybe even pull the trigger on the next VC Ultrathin Overseas, in gold or steal, if VC ever decides to come out with it.

SO - what are your thoughts on the Zeitwerk date?

I am going to probably hold onto my 1931 Chocolate, Rose Gold Master Geographic, BVLGARI Ceramic Octo Finissimo, Cartier Diver (horrible depreciation), and Cartier MC Chrono (horrible depreciation).

I feel a Zeitwerk would be a good round out to my collection for some years, until I win the lotto or get some big windfall I was not expecting.

Ted
    “I shall pass this way but once; any good that I can do or
    any kindness I can show to any human being; let me do it now.
    Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” Etienne de Grellet.

“[E]very [person] I meet is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from [that person].” Ralph Waldo Emerson.

“If you argue and rankle and contradict, you may achieve
    a victory sometimes; but it will be an empty victory because
    you will never get your opponent's good will.” Ben Franklin.

Re: Thoughts on Zeitwerk Date

I'm not you but....
    " Duometre, MUT Gold Moon, and Lange Saxonia Moon." NONE of those hold a candle to a Zeitwork. Those things are amazing. Its one of the most impressive pieces ALS makes. (aside from the new honey gold Zeitwork Decimal!)

If it were me and you were "rounding out a collection" I would go Zeitwork if you can swing it. I mean, it might see 70% wrist time!

but thats just me.
    TedPhatana likes this.

What’s your take on the increased size of the Zeitwerk Date?

Do you like the date implementation?

Yeah - I am feeling like I might wait and consolidate more.

Quote Originally Posted by IllCommunication View Post
    I'm not you but....
    " Duometre, MUT Gold Moon, and Lange Saxonia Moon." NONE of those hold a candle to a Zeitwork. Those things are amazing. Its one of the most impressive pieces ALS makes. (aside from the new honey gold Zeitwork Decimal!)

If it were me and you were "rounding out a collection" I would go Zeitwork if you can swing it. I mean, it might see 70% wrist time!

but thats just me.
    Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” Etienne de Grellet.

“[E]very [person] I meet is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from [that person].” Ralph Waldo Emerson.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TedPhatana View Post
    What’s your take on the increased size of the Zeitwerk Date?

Do you like the date implementation?

Yeah - I am feeling like I might wait and consolidate more.
    I love the date implementation because it keeps a hand out of the process. It's not wildly unique but it looks like it was designed on purpose instead of strapped on.

As far as the size, well, no one ever said Germans build small watches. 44m is a bit on the large size, but ALS always has some big watches. Even their 40/41 are thick and tall. But for a piece like this.. its worth it.

I do think it behooves you to try it, especially if your wrist is smaller than 7in
    TedPhatana likes this.

The zeitwork is a very impressive piece. Incredibly unique and I like the addition of the date on the newer version.

But if you are unsure about any of the ones you were currently considering, then just sit on it for a little bit and continue to save and see how you feel in a couple months. You still have some nice watches to enjoy in the meantime

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
    TedPhatana likes this.

The Zeitwerk models are phenomenal pieces, but as mentioned above, their thickness lends itself to being referred to as a “hockey puck”.
    If that isn’t a concern, and the size doesn’t look ridiculous for your wrist size, then it should be an absolute no-brainer.

That all said, at the price point being considered, you shouldn’t lose sight of other options which may be better suited.
    I’m thinking specifically of the likes of FP Journe's, Urban Jurgensen’s, and De Bethune’s PCs, or the Gronefeld Remontoire.
    Last edited by PJ S; August 30th, 2019 at 23:55.

I agree on the sizing, funny thing is that I will likely sell the Saxonia Thin 37 to go into the watch fund. One of the smaller germans, if you will.

I am likely going to NYC tomorrow to try on the Zeitwerk Date proto, only one "real" piece came in so far and it was accounted for by a client, who picked it up today.

I'll post pics. Likely to try on intermediate pieces at JLC, if they have them, the Polaris Blue limited and hopefully the Reverso Burgundy. I'll likely not bite but just curious how they look in the metal.

Quote Originally Posted by IllCommunication View Post
    I love the date implementation because it keeps a hand out of the process. It's not wildly unique but it looks like it was designed on purpose instead of strapped on.

As far as the size, well, no one ever said Germans build small watches. 44m is a bit on the large size, but ALS always has some big watches. Even their 40/41 are thick and tall. But for a piece like this.. its worth it.

I do think it behooves you to try it, especially if your wrist is smaller than 7in

Yes - that is what I am feeling. With Basel and SIHH coming around the corner, it is probably a good idea, I don't think these current pieces are going anywhere any time soon anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by natesen View Post
    The zeitwork is a very impressive piece. Incredibly unique and I like the addition of the date on the newer version.

But if you are unsure about any of the ones you were currently considering, then just sit on it for a little bit and continue to save and see how you feel in a couple months. You still have some nice watches to enjoy in the meantime

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Your list of options your considering is all over the place. It's a fairly heterogeneous list. You've got an ultra thin on there, and an ultra thick. I own a ZW and it's hands down my favorite watch in my collection, but it is literally about the size of a little league hockey puck. You've got the formal and nostalgic Saxonia MP, and the rather irreverent Zeitwerk, the former attracts attention with a sultry whisper, the latter like shouting into a megaphone.

I'd suggest waiting, not having anything to do with what I like or don't like about the ZW Date (personally, I don't care for it), but because it doesn't seem clear to me that you know what you want which is a recipe for an expensive flip a year or two down the line.
    TedPhatana likes this.

Thanks.

For Journe - I know they have nice pieces but I feel like the CB is the piece to get at retail, I am still irritated that they can't produce enough. I really should see their other pieces in the metal.

For Urban Jurgensen - I have seen some of their pieces, never gave it a hard look, but since I likely have some time on my hands before I move, I think i'll give more attention. Appreciate the suggestion, never crossed my mind honestly.

For De Bethune and Gronefield - Maybe I am sounding a bit contradictory, but for whatever reason, I feel I could swing a Zeitwerk but some of the pieces of De Bethune and Gronefield are maybe a bit to exotic for me. Maybe more so with De Bethune, love the pieces nonetheless.

Lastly, concerning the whole "hockey puck" reference. I hear you. I guess I have two watch modes currently. 1 - the old soul who loves to wear a 37MM dress piece. 2 - however, I feel there is a "contemporary" youth in me who loves so-called modern sizes. I have been rocking my 42MM Cartier Diver and 40MM BVLGARI Octo (wears like 42) this whole and still feel at home.

I tend to waiver on this whole "size" thing.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    The Zeitwerk models are phenomenal pieces, but as mentioned above, their thickness lends itself to being referred to as a “hockey puck”.
    If that isn’t a concern, and the size doesn’t look ridiculous for your wrist size, then it should be an absolute no-brainer.

That all said, at the price point being considered, you shouldn’t lose sight of other options which may be better suited.
    I’m thinking specifically of the likes of FP Journe's, Urban Jurgensen’s, and De Bethune’s PCs, or the Gronefeld Remontoire.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information