Trading an Entire Collection for an AP Royal Oak. The Right Choice?
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Trading an Entire Collection for an AP Royal Oak. The Right Choice?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Hello, all. Long time reader, new member here. I want to see what you guys think about something I am looking at doing. I'm in my late twenties and I have been collecting obsessively for two years now, going through many a Rolex, JLC, Omega, etc. But I haven't yet been able to acquire the piece I've wanted all along: an AP Royal Oak. As my collection sits now, I have a JLC Master Compressor Memovox 146.8.97/1, a Breguet Type XX Aeronavale, a JLC Reverso Grande Taille 270.8.07 (HAQ), an Omega GX6546 Seamaster in solid gold, and a few lesser Omegas, Long8nes, etc.
    My question is this: have you long-time collectors regretted flipping or trading an entire well thought out collection for a single grail piece?
    I think I would be happier with a Royal Oak 15400 or something similar as a daily driver than having the other pieces. I know that answers my own question, but what do those who have done this before think? Was it worth it? Because once you get that grail, you can always start adding again.
    Thanks for any suggestions!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    lvt likes this.

Re: Trading an Entire Collection for an AP Royal Oak. The Right Choice?

First--that is a very nice collection.

I have a reasonably large collection (several dozen that get worn relatively regularly, with maybe half that number getting worn at least once every week or two). I like having a variety, and don't think I'd ever find one watch that I would be content to wear every day, forever. There are just too many I like.

Having said that, I have done two large trades to acquire a special piece. I traded a bunch of watches (including a Lange Saxonia Moonphase, a Breguet Marine and a Panerai 620) for a Lange Saxonia Annual Calendar. I also traded in my Royal Oak, Patek Gondolo, VC Traditionelle and Snowflake for a very rare and lovely piece (Credor Eichii II). These trades were partly due to having less need for dressy pieces like the Gondolo and Traditionelle, and partly because I really wanted the AC and the Credor. Especially the Credor--the one I bought was the only one that was going to be available in the US this year.

I'm very happy with the trades, even though I sometimes miss some of those pieces. I had reached the point where there were watches I really liked a lot but was only wearing once every month. So cutting down made sense, especially if I could do it for pieces like the two I acquired.

So yes, if you think the value is there (I can't say what the value is for each of your pieces) and you're either going to be content with just one great watch, or will slowly build a new collection, I'd say go for it.
    apudabam and MZhammer like this.

I would do that trade. You have nice pieces, but most are not difficult to find again should you want to replace it.
    nivka and Alysandir like this.
    Breguet Type XX, IWC Aquatimer Chronograph "Jacques Yves Cousteau", IWC Portuguese 7-Day Automatic, JLC Deep Sea Cermet, JLC Tribute to Polaris 1965, Omega Speedmaster Professional, Panerai 233 "Dot", Panerai 439 Oro Rosso, Patek Philippe 5130 World Time, Rolex Datejust, Rolex Seadweller, Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chronograph, Vacheron Constantin Overseas World Time. Vacheron Constantin Patrimony Traditionnelle Chronograph.

IG: bvllitt

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I don't mean this in a negative way, but as a prompt. Have you suddenly become one-dimensional in your tastes? IOW...are you going to be happy with ONLY the RO?

I agree with mlcor that trading *part* of a collection makes good sense...but not all of it. And I strongly disagree with islands...if you're going to replace those you traded out later...don't trade them in the first place.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

No.

Definitely do it. You can always build back up again, like you said. I'm doing the same, but on a smaller value scale. Get rid of the ones that don't sing to you anymore and get something new in. Unless you sell something uniquely rare, it won't be too hard to get them back.

Here is my thought for the little is it worth since everyone’s collection and enjoyment is individual.

I just moved a bunch of watches around and reimagined my collection a bit. In the end I did have to spent more money as part of the additions, so not even up. Right now I am flipping between a Polaris memovox , a BP, Speedy, and a few others along with my newest, a VC overseas DT gen 3.

While my old collection was feeling stale, I am really enjoying the pieces I have now and not just the new ones. I have a PAM 176 that now stands out again as fun and unique to wear.

I guess my point is, the question is less about should I trade all of X for one of Y and step back to say what your not happy with in terms of what you have now. Anyone that collects is never happy with just one because how can you look at your single watch and say you have collected the single most interesting part of watch collecting that drove you too the illogical hobby we all find ourselves a part of.

If you really don’t like your watches then I think it makes sense. If you really just want to change it up, you can do so slowly and it’s not like AP is going away, looking different or getting more durable. .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would keep the vintage Omega (the Seamaster), but trade the rest
    Last edited by marcusp23; December 7th, 2019 at 20:39.

I would do and view it as a chance to restart the collection, which seems to be what you want to do anyway.

That said, an APRO will be a tough act to follow unless you diversify the new collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Mbarmash View Post
    Here is my thought for the little is it worth since everyone’s collection and enjoyment is individual.

I just moved a bunch of watches around and reimagined my collection a bit. In the end I did have to spent more money as part of the additions, so not even up. Right now I am flipping between a Polaris memovox , a BP, Speedy, and a few others along with my newest, a VC overseas DT gen 3.

While my old collection was feeling stale, I am really enjoying the pieces I have now and not just the new ones. I have a PAM 176 that now stands out again as fun and unique to wear.

I guess my point is, the question is less about should I trade all of X for one of Y and step back to say what your not happy with in terms of what you have now. Anyone that collects is never happy with just one because how can you look at your single watch and say you have collected the single most interesting part of watch collecting that drove you too the illogical hobby we all find ourselves a part of.

If you really don’t like your watches then I think it makes sense. If you really just want to change it up, you can do so slowly and it’s not like AP is going away, looking different or getting more durable. .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's what I'm thinking. I said I'm in my late twenties because I have no delusions about needing to rush to make something happen. I enjoy most if my pieces. The Omegas and the Longines and a few others have just crept into it through happening across good deals, but I love my JLCs and my Breguet. I just think I would love a Royal Oak more than the sum of those three.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    FordHammie likes this.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information