Trading High End Watches
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Trading High End Watches

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Trading High End Watches

I know, I know, "buy the seller, not the watch." But, here I am with this thread.

I have a Vacheron Constantin FiftySix in stainless steel that I have the opportunity to trade (with cash on my end) for an Overseas Dual Time 47450. Here's my predicament. The seller is on the big auction site and he has very few references. I've been in contact with him for the past several hours and he has suggested that he will accept an offer on eBay for the trade difference, I will ship my watch to a third-party (presumably his lawyer), and then after I receive the Overseas, I will authorize it to be released to him. He has provided me with links to a social media account and the businesses that he owns.

So, a couple of questions:

1. Should I run, not walk, away from this deal?
    2. What extra precautions should I take if I decide to go through with this?
    3. If any of you have gone through a trade like this, what should I be looking for to make sure I'm not shafted?

Thanks!
    Vacheron Constantin Overseas Dual Time |Grand Seiko Snowflake | Rolex Explorer I 214270 Mk1 | IWC Le Petit Prince Chronograph | Vintage Buren Chronograph

Instagram: @Lawpera_Watches

Re: Trading High End Watches

I don’t know how you do business on your neck of the woods. But that transaction you just described sounds like a mafia transaction
    Personally I would run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jorge
    Patek Phillippe - Audemars Piguet - Rolex

Mmh, I've never done a transaction like that. I once drove 4 hours both ways because the deal seemed good to me and I didn't want to miss it, but was unsure about sending money to a stranger. Everything went fine, but I'd rather loose some hours on a weekend than multiple thousand dollars.
    Depending on the amount involved, I would say that sometimes a plane ticket or drive is worth it just for the peace of mind.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ar7iste View Post
    Mmh, I've never done a transaction like that. I once drove 4 hours both ways because the deal seemed good to me and I didn't want to miss it, but was unsure about sending money to a stranger. Everything went fine, but I'd rather loose some hours on a weekend than multiple thousand dollars.
    Depending on the amount involved, I would say that sometimes a plane ticket or drive is worth it just for the peace of mind.
    That's actually a really good suggestion. I'm fairly certain that it would be doable in a day. Thanks!
    Vacheron Constantin Overseas Dual Time |Grand Seiko Snowflake | Rolex Explorer I 214270 Mk1 | IWC Le Petit Prince Chronograph | Vintage Buren Chronograph

For any luxury watch, it is a given that you deal in person just for the peace of mind. Lots of scammers these days and you certainly do not want Horology episode 2. Try to meet in a public place and go with someone and have them watch you from a place nearby while you deal. Sometime these extra steps are required when you are dealing in a luxury watch.

You should also consider authenticity if you decide to meet in person. You need to ensure that you would be getting the real deal and not a fake.

I would avoid any transaction outside normal eBay rules, but as has been suggested, a face to face is the best way to go and definitely at a place where you can verify both watches.

After all, the seller wouldn’t want to receive a fake either(I’m not for one moment suggesting it is btw). If he’s not keen, then walk away.

If he’s genuine, you get the watch you want and a nice day out into the bargain.
    Omega SMP 300 Chrono
    Omega 8500 Aqua Terra
    Omega 2500 Orange PO
    Vintage Omega Geneve
    Chopard GT XL
    Bell & Ross BR03-92 Ceramic

I've recommended that we try to meet in person. Unfortunately, there are no Vacheron ADs anywhere in our vicinity. Fortunately, however, my friend works at an AD, and he's agreed to take a close look at all the pictures to see if it passes the smell test. Thanks for everyone's help.
    apudabam and John Price like this.

Meet in person. Offer your friend a nice lunch and bring him or her along- If it's a scam you save yourself a lot of trouble- if it’s a real deal your friends presence will be a nice memory to share your experience.

Keep us updated.

These are time-stamped pictures he sent. Everything looks good to me. Does anyone have any reason for me to be hesitant?

Name:  IMG_20200502_193114 - Copy.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  3.14 MB
    Name:  IMG_20200502_184428 - Copy.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  2.53 MB
    Name:  IMG_20200502_183152 - Copy.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  4.73 MB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information