Ugly high end watches
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Ugly high end watches

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Ugly high end watches

I hope I don't offend anyone with this post. I realize that taste is subjective.

Some day I would like to own a Patek. Only problem, I have yet to find a Patek that I would rate any higher than "just OK" in terms of looks. Many of them I find to be rather ugly. Same is true for AP. By contrast, with VC, ALS, JLC and Breguet I have no problem finding numerous pieces that I love to look at.

Does anyone else find Patek to be uninspiring in terms of appearance?

Re: Ugly high end watches

finally a kindred spirit. not a patek fan either however i wouldn't call them ugly. however the upper end of the chopard line imo is an eye sore. once you get away from the mm line, the aesthetics goes to pot
    Enjoying a life far better than I deserve...

v76

I'll repeat what I have said on another thread - design and aesthetics are transitory, innovation, quality and accuracy I value more. In my dad's eyes, there are no watches more beautiful than a few Patek models he covets ... no ALS, no GO for him. He also likes some of the older JLC and VC models, but a lot of their new ones he's iffy about. The way a watch looks is very subjective - depends on generation, fashion trends and definitely changes with time. A lot of the Patek designs are from a bygone era - perhaps they are targetting an older (richer?) clientele than the others? Till a few years back, they didn't even have see-through casebacks on any of their models.
    Last edited by v76; February 28th, 2010 at 17:42.
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Personally even with my favorite brand I find some to be shoulder shrugs and a few that appear to have been beaten with an ugly stick. It is unrealistic to expect every piece to be a winner when looks are subjective and considering the many differerent styles. I myself am not fond of Patek overall but I surely love the 5078 and a few others.

I find APROO very uninteresting, I think ugly is a harsh word to describe so I'll just say I do not find it attractive. I admire their movements but it just doesn't attract me as most people does. And yes I'll say it, I like Hublots round pothole bezel design over the APROO.

*puts flame suit on*

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by chraya View Post
    I hope I don't offend anyone with this post. I realize that taste is subjective.

Some day I would like to own a Patek. Only problem, I have yet to find a Patek that I would rate any higher than "just OK" in terms of looks. Many of them I find to be rather ugly. Same is true for AP. By contrast, with VC, ALS, JLC and Breguet I have no problem finding numerous pieces that I love to look at.

Does anyone else find Patek to be uninspiring in terms of appearance?
    AP makes a lot of FINE dress watches. The Jules Audemars line has quite a few I'd love to add to my collection. Unfortunately the watch forums are full of the Royal Oak series and therefore the best of AP goes largely unknown.

Patek has always been an understated company for the most part. Their designs are meant to be timeless, which is part of the reason they hold their value (besides the quality). I'd love to own a 5500 Pagoda or 5127 Calatrava. I don't get the Nautilus though.

Quote Originally Posted by novedl View Post
    however the upper end of the chopard line imo is an eye sore. once you get away from the mm line, the aesthetics goes to pot

I'll offer this to contradict you:

It's from the 1860 series with the L.U.C. 1.96 microrotor movement, and in white gold it's WAY high on my list - top 3. I've got it up against a couple Breguets and I think it's better looking.

Woah...the Piguet and Chopard above are both gorgeous. Like a lot of others, I find the Royal Oaks ugly. Don't like a lot of Hublots either and am not a big fan of the Patek Aquanaut, although I could be open to conversion on that one. JLC are wonderful, but they made one of the nastiest things in the world from my point of view when they released that black and blue Master Compressor diver a few years back...

I'm unapologetically conservative when it comes to high-end pieces, with the exception of Journe's work. I figure that one shouldn't pay so much money for a watch that will not look good in a few years.

v76

Quote Originally Posted by ulackfocus View Post
    AP makes a lot of FINE dress watches. The Jules Audemars line has quite a few I'd love to add to my collection. Unfortunately the watch forums are full of the Royal Oak series and therefore the best of AP goes largely unknown.

Patek has always been an understated company for the most part. Their designs are meant to be timeless, which is part of the reason they hold their value (besides the quality). I'd love to own a 5500 Pagoda or 5127 Calatrava. I don't get the Nautilus though.

I'll offer this to contradict you:

It's from the 1860 series with the L.U.C. 1.96 microrotor movement, and in white gold it's WAY high on my list - top 3. I've got it up against a couple Breguets and I think it's better looking.
    That Chopard LUC with the 1.96 is one of my grail pieces as well ... perhaps in another 10 to 15 years ... hopefully. That Jules Audemars is beautiful, I'd also like to get my hands on a Blancpain 7002, a Patek Calatrava 5127J (even better, a 5196G) and a GP 1966.
    Last edited by v76; March 2nd, 2010 at 17:36.
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

i satnd corrected. that one is indeed a beauty dennis.
    i guess my anti patek thing is their lofty position in the horologial realm. imo bregeut makes the most outstanding of all dress pieces. simply incredible craftmanship and styling. i'll take this sentiment to the grave.
    Enjoying a life far better than I deserve...

More and more I find the models of most all makers from the 50's and 60's to be more attractive than many of the current models. For ex, and of course the pie pan Constellation. Sigh.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information