VCO3 vs PP Aquanaut
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: VCO3 vs PP Aquanaut

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 76
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    376

    VCO3 vs PP Aquanaut

    Long story short, I find myself on my search for a new addition. A couple years ago I decided to limit my watch purchasing to maybe one or two watches a year in favor of better watches. Prior to that I had a large rotation with quite a few pieces ranging from a few hundred bucks to a few thousand.

    I cleared out most of that in 2018 and started with a nearly clean slate.

    Last year I bought a Polar Explorer II as well as a Speedy Pro. Both from the same AD.

    This year I decided to get a watch from the trinity, with a ceiling of $20k. Double what I’ve ever spent before on a single watch.

    I really only wear sports watches and thought I settled on the VCO3. I like the strap options, and availability and grey market prices of AP and PP equivalents was too high.

    Another thread here got me to call my AD again. The same one I bought my last two watches from. My dad had also purchased many watches from them over the years, so I’d say we’re decent customers. Not buying high mark up jewelry or anything, but definitely they know us by sight.

    Anyway, I called the manager and spoke to him about the Aquanaut. Although he laughed at the thought of someone just being able to walk in and buy one, he did say that based on the story I gave him and our history there, he was willing to give me the next one that came into the store. He also said it could be anywhere from 1 day to 6 months.

    I’m not opposed to waiting 6 months, although it’s going to be really hard. I really like the versatility of the VCO and wonder if I’d be waiting for the PP just because of the demand and not necessarily anything else. I will say that I’ve always dreamed of being able to be in a financial place to actually buy a PP, so there would definitely be a sense of pride for me to strap one on my wrist.

    I’m really torn. I know I would love both although I have never tried on a Nautilus, I did wear the VCO and loved it.

    I know this is the epitome of first world problems, but I feel I’m getting into the “paralysis by analysis” realm.

    Would love some feedback. And I guess it wasn’t so short a story after all.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    441

    Re: VCO3 vs PP Aquanaut

    The VCO is way more interesting of a piece. I prefer it over even my Nautilus.
    mleok and Techniec like this.

  3. #3
    Member eblackmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    8,547

    Re: VCO3 vs PP Aquanaut

    Quote Originally Posted by R_rated View Post
    The VCO is way more interesting of a piece. I prefer it over even my Nautilus.
    Post some wrist shots of you PP nautilus for comparison. That would be awesome.
    Benzinger .. Dornblueth & Sohn .. Grand Seiko .. Sinn .. Laco .. Schaumburg .. Hamilton .. Tissot

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member eblackmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    8,547

    Re: VCO3 vs PP Aquanaut

    Quote Originally Posted by achernob View Post
    Long story short, I find myself on my search for a new addition. A couple years ago I decided to limit my watch purchasing to maybe one or two watches a year in favor of better watches. Prior to that I had a large rotation with quite a few pieces ranging from a few hundred bucks to a few thousand.

    I cleared out most of that in 2018 and started with a nearly clean slate.

    Last year I bought a Polar Explorer II as well as a Speedy Pro. Both from the same AD.

    This year I decided to get a watch from the trinity, with a ceiling of $20k. Double what I’ve ever spent before on a single watch.

    I really only wear sports watches and thought I settled on the VCO3. I like the strap options, and availability and grey market prices of AP and PP equivalents was too high.

    Another thread here got me to call my AD again. The same one I bought my last two watches from. My dad had also purchased many watches from them over the years, so I’d say we’re decent customers. Not buying high mark up jewelry or anything, but definitely they know us by sight.

    Anyway, I called the manager and spoke to him about the Aquanaut. Although he laughed at the thought of someone just being able to walk in and buy one, he did say that based on the story I gave him and our history there, he was willing to give me the next one that came into the store. He also said it could be anywhere from 1 day to 6 months.

    I’m not opposed to waiting 6 months, although it’s going to be really hard. I really like the versatility of the VCO and wonder if I’d be waiting for the PP just because of the demand and not necessarily anything else. I will say that I’ve always dreamed of being able to be in a financial place to actually buy a PP, so there would definitely be a sense of pride for me to strap one on my wrist.

    I’m really torn. I know I would love both although I have never tried on a Nautilus, I did wear the VCO and loved it.

    I know this is the epitome of first world problems, but I feel I’m getting into the “paralysis by analysis” realm.

    Would love some feedback. And I guess it wasn’t so short a story after all.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have to be honest with with you. In my experience. VC devalues sharply. This is not an issue if you just want to buy and wear the watch but if you want resale value. Buy a different brand.
    Benzinger .. Dornblueth & Sohn .. Grand Seiko .. Sinn .. Laco .. Schaumburg .. Hamilton .. Tissot

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    441
    I posted these in other threads but her ya go.
    Attached Images Attached Images



    mleok, mark1958, Techniec and 1 others like this.

  7. #6
    Member eblackmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    8,547

    Re: VCO3 vs PP Aquanaut

    Quote Originally Posted by R_rated View Post
    I posted these in other threads but her ya go.
    That's very nice. Two pics. Thank you. I will add that your arm appears to be hairier than mine. Which is saying something.
    Benzinger .. Dornblueth & Sohn .. Grand Seiko .. Sinn .. Laco .. Schaumburg .. Hamilton .. Tissot

  8. #7
    Member GETS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,060

    Re: VCO3 vs PP Aquanaut

    Patek all day long.

    Worth the wait and you won't lose money on it either.

  9. #8
    Member GETS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,060

    Re: VCO3 vs PP Aquanaut

    Name:  IMG_2099.JPG
Views: 174
Size:  1.86 MB
    usmc_k9_vet likes this.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    414

    Re: VCO3 vs PP Aquanaut

    VC O.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    441

    Re: VCO3 vs PP Aquanaut

    Here's the thing with regards to the Vacheron comments and depreciation; it's a tired retort that's simple to mitigate. Buy used. Vacheron OS don't depreciate THAT badly and if you buy a used one then you've already mitigated that. Take care of it and it will hold. Watches are to be enjoyed. If you are buying the aquanaut to flip then that is an entirely different story however there are a lot more of these listings out there than buyers since the second hand values are dropping so don't think it's an easy flip either.
    mleok likes this.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •