What do you say when someone asks "Nice watch, how much did it cost"? - Page 20
Like Tree262Likes

Thread: What do you say when someone asks "Nice watch, how much did it cost"?

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Re: What do you say when someone asks "Nice watch, how much did it cost"?

I have never had anyone ask about my watch(es), BUT I have had various folk ask inappropriate questions about other things.

A rather irritating neighbor who has no qualms about getting personal with others in our neighborhood about anything asked how much do I get from Social Security.
    Others have asked how much did my house and car cost.
    Another asked how much was my yearly salary when I was working for a large defense contractor.
    A "former" mere acquaintance asked what my pension was.

I met those questions with a "glaring drop-dead stare through the back of the head" response, and none of those folk asked me a second time. The stare seems to have made them uncomfortable (its intent.)

On one occasion though, a very nosy (and inept, he was a foreigner and had poor English) refrigerator repairman asked me twice what was in the two huge safes in my dining room. Between his ineptness (pounding inexplicably and unsuccessfully like hell to try to release the ice-maker panel in the fridge) and his repetitive question, I totally lost it.

I responded that what was in the safes was the formula for getting him fired for sticking his %^#[email protected]*&! nose where it did not belong. Then I told him (almost shouting) to pack up his sh__ and get the "F" out of my house. He very quickly and quietly packed and left; he could not get out of there fast enough. He obviously knew he had made a VERY bad mistake.

That was immediately followed up with a nasty phone call to the company to find his manager with whom I had a very serious talk. The manager was informed that if any burglars ever presented themselves, I would be pointing detectives right to their company as that repairman from their company would give me cause to suspect something to do with the crime. THAT really unnerved the manager, who became more than extremely apologetic. He said nothing like this had ever happened in all the years he had employees and was disturbed to learn of what had just happened.

Don't know if the guy was fired, but I like to assume that at least his experience with me would cause him to keep his big fat nosy mouth shut in the future.

The best way to deal with these brainless nosy no-boundaries idiots is to not respond if possible. The "dead stare" also seems to help in making them re-assess what they just said.
    Rolex R150533 Oyster Perpetual Date
    Rolex 16613 Submariner
    Rolex 214270 Explorer 'full lume'
    Hamilton 992B Railway Special
    Tudor Pelagos LHD
    Miscellaneous fine quality Stopwatches
    "Life is too short not to have a Rolex"

Quote Originally Posted by Rolexplorer View Post
    I have never had anyone ask about my watch(es), BUT I have had various folk ask inappropriate questions about other things.

A rather irritating neighbor who has no qualms about getting personal with others in our neighborhood about anything asked how much do I get from Social Security.
    Others have asked how much did my house and car cost.
    Another asked how much was my yearly salary when I was working for a large defense contractor.
    A "former" mere acquaintance asked what my pension was.

I met those questions with a "glaring drop-dead stare through the back of the head" response, and none of those folk asked me a second time. The stare seems to have made them uncomfortable (its intent.)

On one occasion though, a very nosy (and inept, he was a foreigner and had poor English) refrigerator repairman asked me twice what was in the two huge safes in my dining room. Between his ineptness (pounding inexplicably and unsuccessfully like hell to try to release the ice-maker panel in the fridge) and his repetitive question, I totally lost it.

I responded that what was in the safes was the formula for getting him fired for sticking his %^#[email protected]*&! nose where it did not belong. Then I told him (almost shouting) to pack up his sh__ and get the "F" out of my house. He very quickly and quietly packed and left; he could not get out of there fast enough. He obviously knew he had made a VERY bad mistake.

That was immediately followed up with a nasty phone call to the company to find his manager with whom I had a very serious talk. The manager was informed that if any burglars ever presented themselves, I would be pointing detectives right to their company as that repairman from their company would give me cause to suspect something to do with the crime. THAT really unnerved the manager, who became more than extremely apologetic. He said nothing like this had ever happened in all the years he had employees and was disturbed to learn of what had just happened.

Don't know if the guy was fired, but I like to assume that at least his experience with me would cause him to keep his big fat nosy mouth shut in the future.

The best way to deal with these brainless nosy no-boundaries idiots is to not respond if possible. The "dead stare" also seems to help in making them re-assess what they just said.
    Wow.... a guy with poor English asks you what you consider to be an inappropriate question and you try to ruin his life by getting him fired. Then you come on here to "weird flex but ok." Well played.

As at least one other person has mentioned, the way to respond is actually quite simple. This one is generally an innocent, offhand question so I treat it as such. If the question comes from a stranger or casual acquaintance , I just say it was a gift so I don’t know. It’s a lie, of course, but saves hurt feelings and does no harm. If it’s a family member or close friend asking I just answer. Nothing to hide and no need to get defensive. It’s not like it’s top secret information.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Depends who's asking. I tell the true numbers to people who are into watches. To the rest I just say "a lot".

Good thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar_917 View Post
    ^^ tells the truth on Internet forums
    So many watches, So little time...
    So many watches, so little time...

I try to assess their intentions for asking. If they appear to be earnestly interested in obtaining such a timepiece, I'll give 'em the name of the watch and recommend they look it up. If they're being annoying regarding just how much I spent, I might say something like " less than the sex-change operation you've been secretly planning for yourself."

I've never been asked. I think my few WIS friends have the knowledge to figure it out online. No one else has even cared what I'm wearing on my wrist.

I keep my safes away from nosey repairmen.
    Accuracy is only skin deep but ugliness goes to the soul.
    I only use fake Bergeon tools for working on fake Rolexes.
    Friends don't let friends own Seiko.

...and you just have to page back a single page to get a Rolex Sports model at 30% discount. This site is really nonlinear.
    Accuracy is only skin deep but ugliness goes to the soul.
    I only use fake Bergeon tools for working on fake Rolexes.
    Friends don't let friends own Seiko.

Townshend: a suggestion--that you first ask if they were interested in buying. if no, then "what does it matter?"
    euro-rs likes this.

They don't sound like friends.
    Steve P.
    Texas, USA

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Thread Information