What do you say when someone asks "Nice watch, how much did it cost"?
Like Tree262Likes

Thread: What do you say when someone asks "Nice watch, how much did it cost"?

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

What do you say when someone asks "Nice watch, how much did it cost"?

I just don't feel comfy telling anyone that I spent over 10k+ on a watch, including my own family..... Is there a way to diffuse this? This happens often at poker tables, and yesterday my neighbor and I were chatting and she said she spent $2k on a watch and her husband freaked out, then she asked me how much mine was.... I deflected, distracted and left....
    rvr06, hantms, hanzo and 2 others like this.
    I CAN AFFORD IT, I AM JUST LOOKING FOR A DEAL!!!!!!!

Asia - HK, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Shanghai

Re: What do you say when someone asks "Nice watch, how much did it cost"?

It'd be a silly question for someone that's not a close friend of yours to ask, in such a case I would simply give a smile and you don't want to know. If he/she was a close friend, I let him/her know the real number.
    drhr, m630, dbostedo and 3 others like this.
    There is no such thing as a collector's watch.

Quote Originally Posted by seanwontreturn View Post
    It'd be a silly question for someone that's not a close friend of yours to ask, in such a case I would simply give a smile and you don't want to know. If he/she was a close friend, I let him/her know the real number.
    Not sure I agree, I bought my wife a Patek about 5-6 years ago, her 2 best friends asked her how much, when she told them the truth, there was a very clear distancing in the friendship. Then we bought a GMC Youkon soon after, and when they asked what our payments were, we said we paid cash, the friendship all but disappeared... now they were friends since 15 years old... I assume they think our finances are too different that they cant be friends, but my wife was devastated.... she is so understated and would never brag about anything to them... I don't get it
    I CAN AFFORD IT, I AM JUST LOOKING FOR A DEAL!!!!!!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

No one other than a few friends have asked, I've told them, no problems encountered. Had they "moved away" from me, I'd be thankful for the indication that they were not really friends . . .
    A.Lange & Sohne * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Grand Seiko * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

Asia - HK, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Shanghai

Hey man you just did for me a lot of typing!

Quote Originally Posted by drhr View Post
    No one other than a few friends have asked, I've told them, no problems encountered. Had they "moved away" from me, I'd be thankful for the indication that they were not really friends . . .
    drhr, EnderW and jsohal like this.
    There is no such thing as a collector's watch.

Just tell them "one million dollars" while doing your best Dr Evil impression.

Seriously - if question is innocent, I just tell people that I treated myself to something nice and shift the conversation without mentioning actual #.
    For those who are similarly WISs or collectors, or for someone who is genuinely in the market shopping - I can comfortably give the price as they likely know the range anyway.
    And for all others - well it 's none of their business and is not an appropriate question. Nothing good can ever come from sharing such detail - as it can lead to wrong perceptions or just general issues in friendship\relationship.

Name:  drevil.jpg
Views: 3742
Size:  3.0 KB
    tigerpac, Feller87, joepac and 4 others like this.

My mother ask me this all the time bc she thinks my habit is ridiculous. I almost always lie and tell her they cost less. She has now learned to double whatever I tell her. At this point it's a running family joke.

I used to just tell her they were fake!
    Me116, Harpo, Hydra and 2 others like this.
    Current:
    Patek 5712, Hublot Big Bang, Parmigiani Fleurier Tonda Hemispheres, Rolex Sub 114060, Rolex Daytona 116520, Rolex Day Date 18208, Steinhart OOV, Hamilton Intra-matic, Tissot Visodate
    Past:
    ALS 1815 Automatik, Rolex GMT 116713, Montblanc Nicolas Rieussec Chrono, Rolex Sub 114060, IWC Portuguese Chrono (gave to girlfriend, so still in the mix ), VC Malte, Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15400, Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Bathyscape, Rolex Daytona 16520, Omega Deville Rome Olympics 1960 Chrono, Breitling Trans Ocean, Omega Planet Ocean Chrono, Rolex Datejust Two-tone, Rolex Explorer II 1655, Rolex Yachtmaster II, Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore Volcano, IWC Portuguese 7-day, Cartier Santos 100, Breitling Airwolf, Panerai PAM 00070

Hey, at least they're talking about watches, no one ever asks me anything about mine, price or otherwise
    drhr, ilikebigbutts, rvr06 and 4 others like this.

I tell the truth.
    mpalmer likes this.

just say "you dont wanna know, son" or "it was a gift from my _____ (gramps, dad...)" or "its a heirloom so i have no idea". most people will disapprove even if it was 800$ watch let alone 10k $.
    BigSeikoFan likes this.

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information