What was your parents' response to your high-end watch?
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: What was your parents' response to your high-end watch?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Banned
    I showed my parents my Royal Oak, a d they thought it was nice. I don't think they like it better than the Tank watch they gave me for graduation some 30-odd years ago.

I showed them my Explorer, Alpinist & Bremont too. That's when Mom asked what happened to the watch she and Dad gave me for graduation, noting that she thought I had it on last week when I visited her and Dad.

I told her I still have it and that it's just fine. Mom was quick to remind me that she and Dad had paid a lot for that watch and that "President Kennedy wore one just like it."

In her mind, that prolly makes it better than my AP. And in a way, the way that matters most, really, it is. They sacrificed a lot to buy that watch, I guess it shouldn't surprise me that over all these years, Mom actually had paid attention to whether I was wearing it.

I know they've never heard of AP. Indeed, when I said "AP," they mentioned the grocery store, thinking I may have gotten it there. LOL

I had to laugh. But I learned my lesson too: when I go see Mom, always wear the watch she gave me.

So, what was your parents' reaction to your pricey watch?

As for the watches themselves, their specific comments included:
    -> AP: Nice, but garish, heavy and big; people will see you coming wearing that one.
    -> Explorer: Why didn't they put a twelve at the top? Too big, but it looks alright. I've heard of Rolex; they're supposed to be expensive, but it's your money...
    -> Bremont S501: Clunky; too big.
    -> Ball: That's ugly; too big; too heavy; that rubber strap will snap one day and you will lose it if you're in the water.
    -> Seiko Alpinist: Nicest one of the bunch; good size; the green is pretty, but where are you gonna wear a green watch?
    -> Overall: Some of them look nice, but you like them, and that's all that matters.

As I was leaving, Mom called me back to the sitting room and said, "Say. Why don't leave the green one here and let your father wear it."

That wasn't really a request I could refuse, so I hollered for Dad and put the Alpinist on his wrist. It looked nice on him and he looked pleased as punch wearing it. He said it was nice and that I should come get it whenever I need it.

Of course, that isn't happening. I'm pretty sure he'll wear that watch until it or he dies. I'm just glad Mom didn't like my RO. LOL

P.S.
    No, I didn't tell them what I paid for my AP or any of the rest of my new watches. And, in keeping with their sensibilities about such things, they didn't ask.
    natesen, EHV, Cappyab and 10 others like this.

Re: What was your parents' response to your high-end watch?

That's awesome you were able give your dad a return watch after they sacrificed to give one to you. And yes always wear the tank to see them... Its meaningful to them and they will appreciate it always.

My parents just shake their head if they ever hear the cost of one of the watches. My dad being an engineer appreciates the mechanical nature of the little machine ticking away but he doesn't understand where the cost comes from.

Overall they have no interest in my watches though and really don't care either.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
    MDNoobie likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by natesen View Post
    That's awesome you were able give your dad a return watch after they sacrificed to give one to you. And yes always wear the tank to see them... Its meaningful to them and they will appreciate it always.

My parents just shake their head if they ever hear the cost of one of the watches. My dad being an engineer appreciates the mechanical nature of the little machine ticking away but he doesn't understand where the cost comes from.

Overall they have no interest in my watches though and really don't care either.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
    TY

You know, if it told them what I paid for my RO, I'm not certain they'd live long enough thereafter to shake their heads. I think they'd both just keel right the hell over, then and there.

I think too it would hurt their feelings, perhaps making them think I'd finally decided the watch they sacrificed was no longer good enough.

Nothing could be farther from the truth, but still, $20k is a lot of money to "look past," if you know what I mean.

I'd never be able to convince them otherwise despite my having been raised not to value things based on their price tags. If they knew, they'd always feel like I was wearing my Tank just to please them, not b/c I still appreciate it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Mom: Looks nice!
    Dad: Want's to know what makes each one interesting.
    MDNoobie and civiclx like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by spectre6000 View Post
    Mom: Looks nice!
    Dad: Want's to know what makes each one interesting.
    Re: Dad -> That's super that he's curious about them! You may even draw him into your hobby.

In any case, at least you know what to tell him about your watches. God forbid my dad ask me that, for if he were to, I definitely would not be able to tell him a thing that would register in his mind as being even close to special, or interesting. That the Alpinist dial is green is what he (and Mom) thinks of as special/interesting.

Your parents have good taste. The Tank is arguably more classy than any of the rest, and the Alpinist probably has the best bang for buck in that set!
    MDNoobie likes this.

When I showed my dad my first luxe watch he said “you sure know how to piss away money” .........it was a warm family moment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Collection: Rolex Air-King (116900), Tudor North Flag (91210N), Grand Seiko 9F (STGF267)...............
    Next Acquisitions (ideally): Rolex Sea Dweller-Deep Sea, Blancpain Villeret Grande Date

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RyCheDay View Post
    When I showed my dad my first luxe watch he said “you sure know how to piss away money” .........it was a warm family moment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If my folks had any idea of what I paid for my watches, they would, I'm sure, say pretty much the same thing.

My mom never noticed, and my Dad only ever noticed my Rolex.

My mom loved Judge Judy and thought that was the kind of law I practiced. I once said "Mom , those cases are for $300 , how could I make a living doing that?" She didn't care. My dad loved "Law & Order" and would call me and ask questions. I'd say"Dad, I only do civil cases." He'd say , So what , tell me the answer and when I got it wrong , he'd call and correct me. He wore an old Gruen watch on a twist-a-flex band and that was all he needed.
    MDNoobie likes this.

Banned
    Judging by the sparsity of replies, I take it that you guys who are into watches don't, for whatever reasons, much show the off to your parents.

I showed my folks mainly b/c they're really the only people I dare make a point of doing that with. I shared it with them b/c they are the only people of whom I need not be concerned about what they think about my having bought them, and, like a child, they give wholly unvarnished opinions of the watches themselves.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information