Why does AP get a pass for quart royal oak?
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Why does AP get a pass for quart royal oak?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I often read hate about other brands for having a quartz model e.g. Maurice lacroix, but why does AP get to be in the holy Trinity with their best selling watch being identical looking to a quartz version?

What if ALS had a quartz? What if patek or vacheron had quartz versions of their main watches?
    Attached Images Attached Images

GO PML, Omega Mark II, LLD, Meister Telemeter, DA36, Ianos Avyssos, Tropik SS, Zelos

Re: Why does AP get a pass for quart royal oak?

I don't see how that would be a problem. Making a less valuable or horologically interesting model does not devalue the whole brand.
    Michael Maddan likes this.

Doesn’t every major brand have a quartz line? I don’t think people dislike ML because they have quartz models. It’s other reasons.
    Citizen AQ4020-54X/03E
    Casio GF-8251K, GMW-B5000TB/TFC/TCM, GWF-D1000NV,
    IWC IW356501, IWC387903, IWC387902
    MKII PMWF Graywater GMT
    Omega 304.33.44.52.03.001
    Oris Carl Brashear Bronze
    PP5711
    Seiko SBDX013/14, SLA019/035, SBGA001
    Rolex 116610LV, 116520

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by clarencek View Post
    Doesn’t every major brand have a quartz line? I don’t think people dislike ML because they have quartz models. It’s other reasons.
    Blancpain has never and will never use quartz. They are the sole brand with this integrity.
    GrouchoM likes this.

There is no criteria stating "no quartz" to be in the trinity or to be taken as a high end brand.
    In order I have obtained
    > Seiko Chronograph SNA013P The Great Blue l Chopard Mille Miglia GTXL Rosso Corsa l Tudor Heritage Chrono Blue Monte Carlo
    Seiko 5 SNXF01K1 Silver Fox l Seiko 5 - SNKP21J1 Middle East Edition l Longines Heritage 180th Anniversary Chrono
    Omega - Speedmaster Pro Project Alaska l G-Shock - G-9000MX-8 Mudman l Seiko Prospex SRPB51J1 Samurai
    Grand Seiko SBGJ227 Peacock l G-Shock GMWB5000GD-9

My Reviews: Eulit Perlon Strap / Tudor Rubber Strap - Vanguard

Quote Originally Posted by De Wolfe View Post
    There is no criteria stating "no quartz" to be in the trinity or to be taken as a high end brand.
    Correct. Just like with mechanical movements, there is also a big difference between high end and cheap quartz movements. Also, if not for quartz, some of these brands may not still be here!

Both PP and VC have quartz watches in their catalogue too, it’s not just an AP thing. Patek has Aquanauts, Nautilus and rectangular ladies’ watches with quartz movement in their current lineup. VC has traditional and Malte models in quartz, and used to offer the first generation overseas in quartz too.

fun fact: Oris, only makes mechanical/automatic watches :) No quartz in their line-up.

I don't believe Nomos has any quartz either, but the point is, it's quite rare, especially brands that make jewelry-quality ladies' watches. On size alone, sometimes you want quartz.

I'm not sure if I've seen Lacroix dinged for quartz...but that doesn't mean all that much as I don't see many comments about them anyway, and certainly, aside from certain particular fora, we're not focused on quartz here. Most blogs aren't either.

That said: Lacroix has MORE quartz than autos...89 autos, 100 quartz. They only say "quartz movement" so...are we talking a cheapo Ronda 500 or something like an ETA Flatline? Lacroix's also been suffering from excessive discounting, I believe. So, I think it's more about other aspects of the brand...Hamilton doesn't catch any BS for their quartz models, for example.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBPittsburgh View Post
    fun fact: Oris, only makes mechanical/automatic watches :) No quartz in their line-up.
    I didn't realize that but you're right! Oris is my go to brands to friends that think massive amounts of cash are needed for a respectable watch. I think any on Jomashop at the grey market price is a good value on a watch with integrity. By integrity I mean like Timex has integrity by not trying to be something that it is not - and Swatch. Hublot is my 'go to' example of the antithesis in that you spend PP Nautilus money for Oris quality and ETA movements just for the designer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information