Would you make this trade? Rolex DJ 41 + Cash for VC FiftySix - Page 2
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Would you make this trade? Rolex DJ 41 + Cash for VC FiftySix

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Would you make this trade? Rolex DJ 41 + Cash for VC FiftySix

I'm a fan of VC, but probably not this particular piece. I like the Fifty Six Day Date, but the base model as far as I know is not an in-house VC movement. It's based off a Cartier Movement and does not bear the Geneva Seal either - to me its not a "real VC"

just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by illition View Post
    I'm a fan of VC, but probably not this particular piece. I like the Fifty Six Day Date, but the base model as far as I know is not an in-house VC movement. It's based off a Cartier Movement and does not bear the Geneva Seal either - to me its not a "real VC"

just my opinion
    I kind of agree with the feeling that this watch is like a VC for people who want the brand's name on it but don't want to spend for what makes a VC a VC.
    If you absolutely love the style, I'd say go for it. But if what you really want is to own a VC, I think there are many more interesting options in their catalogue. If I was to buy a VC I would want a precious metal model with geneva seal and all the testimony and know-how of the brand in that watch. In my eyes the fifty-six doesn't have that.

This is an issue about which I was vaguely aware thanks to several threads on this forum, but an interesting point is that the salesperson at the AD assured me that the movement was in fact in-house but was just finished to a lesser degree than other VC models. That's certainly either a hot take, if not misleading.
    Rolex Datejust 41 126300 | Rolex Explorer I 214270 Mk1 | Vintage Buren Chronograph

Instagram: @Lawpera_Watches

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DCGallenstein View Post
    Hi all:

Long story short, I'm graduating from law school and am looking for a watch to mark the occasion. I made a similar-ish thread in F2 a few weeks ago, but wanted to get this community's advice. My budget is around $4k for a new (to me) piece, and I've been seriously considering holding out until I can find a JLC Master Control Sector Dial in my price range, but then this beauty came across my radar when I visited an AD last week.

Attachment 14146891

My current rotation is my DJ41 domed bezel, oyster bracelet, blue dial, which I purchased in August 2018 from an AD (at a significant discount), and an Explorer 214270 Mk1.

Assuming I could get the FiftySix for my DJ plus around $3,500-$4,000, would that be a worthwhile move, or would you hold onto both Rolexes and go with a JLC?

Thanks in advance!
    That’s a beauty. Dress watch but you could wear that one casually just fine. I’d make that trade. You can always get another DJ41 down the road if you feel like you need it

This is an issue about which I was vaguely aware thanks to several threads on this forum, but an interesting point is that the salesperson at the AD assured me that the movement was in fact in-house but was just finished to a lesser degree than other VC models. That's certainly either a hot take, if not misleading.
    The movement is still within the Richmont group, not much of an issue as it's still finished up to VC standard. The case is finished the same as the rest. Other highend watchmakers has also used non inhouse movements as well.

Unless if viewed through the loupe, it is a nicely decorated movement. I have the FiftySix DayDate and I'm really tempted to get the Date as well but in the blue dial. AFAIK it has just been released in the stores this week. I love it!

I have checked out JLC Master Control with the sector dial before and it's no where close to the VC. The JLC is nice but it lacked finesse and attention to detail.
    Attached Images Attached Images

DCGallenstein and natesen like this.

I’ve got an explorer, too!
    Haha I might’ve been projecting a bit- I would probably wear the VC >95% of the time with those two watches as choices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DCGallenstein likes this.

I got a disappointingly low trade offer for my DJ, so unless I decide to sell it myself, it's unclear how this deal will go down. I did get to play around with the FiftySix, though. It's beautiful in the metal. My girlfriend came with me and loved this Zenith moonphase model.

Name:  IMG_0848.jpeg
Views: 19
Size:  1.89 MB
    Name:  IMG_0846.jpeg
Views: 20
Size:  2.82 MB
    Rolex Datejust 41 126300 | Rolex Explorer I 214270 Mk1 | Vintage Buren Chronograph

Instagram: @Lawpera_Watches

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information