Gustav Beker clock or not

Thread: Gustav Beker clock or not

Gustav Beker clock or not

I have an old clock works with the idea to make an ornate wall mount case for it if I can get it to run reliably. It does not have original weights and pendulum which I will make. I have made a rough stand, a 7.7 kg (guessed) test weight and temporary pendulum for testing purposes. I am a complete novice so I may have missed something obvious here. I am grateful for any support having consumed quite a bit of Covid 19 “Cockdown” time going up the learning curve and getting it to run.
    My questions are:

1. Can anyone please help identify if it is a real Gustav Beker or something else.
    2. Is it a wall mount or long case works?

Background Information

1. The face has the appearance of a Gustav Beker, as does the works, but I note other Gustav Beker’s have a mark to that effect on the face and stamps on the brass. As seen in the attached photos there are no such markings, only a serial number 98796 on the brass back and last two digits 96 repeated on the brass front. Perhaps it could be a GB copy?
    2. The pendulum does one complete swing every two seconds and the second hand moves accordingly. 30 swings in one minute. That by calculation means a pendulum length of close to 1 meter as confirmed by testing. That seems long for a wall mount regulator clock if that is indeed what it is. Perhaps it from a long case clock and is not a regulator clock?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Moderator German Watches Forum

Re: Gustav Beker clock or not

Welcome, and thank you for the photos.

I do not know the maker.

Is there a reason for choosing such a large weight?
    It seems excessive.

Thanks,
    rationaltime

Thanks rationaltime,
    I looked long and hard to get an idea of a typical weight and only found one reference on a similar clock that it worked with a minimum of 12 lb and they used 16 lb to have a safety margin. So it may well be too much. I have done a lot to get the works to run and in spite of my efforts the swing reduces (in beat) to just 10 mm on the 1 m log pendulum which is very little and it eventually stops regardless of 7 kg or half that. The pallets working faces had grooves worn in them so this clock has seen some use. The pallets had ground faces at each end and look to be reversible, so I reversed them to the unworn side. I was also surprised at how crude the recess cuts for holding the pallets are. I also note the pallet hold down clamps are on the clock face side and pictures of other clocks show them on the pendulum side. There is a lot of forward and back freedom of movement on the anchor pivot pin.

After lubricating, ensuring the crutch pin on my temporary pendulum is just free in the slot, setting the pallets for what appear to be optimum results and getting the beat right I have had the clock running but only just.
    I have not had the courage to take off the back plate although it looks like I may have no choice since I need to replace the old weight cords. Before I take that step I thought it time to consult the experts.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Looks similar to a Gustav Becker (note the "c"). What is the diameter of the dial? The size of the movement plates? that weight sounds excessive. Looks like you have a bit of wear in the oil sinks. Adding oil to a dirty or worn out clock only makes things worse from a longevity point of view. Given that you are only getting 10mm you are having a depthing issue. I presume it's a regulator movement, though GB et al also made others.

I repair clocks for a living... so have seen several hundred of these.

Thread Information