Identify antique shelf clock - Page 2

Thread: Identify antique shelf clock

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Identify antique shelf clock

The clock can certainly be run by only winding the time train. That's the one on the right. It would be a good idea to clean the movement and lubricate the pivots and escapement. Do you know anyone who works on mechanical clocks? A clock repair shop maybe?

edit: I corrected a confusing description of which side to wind. Also if it runs now you could just use it as is. Or I could walk you through what should and should nor be lubricated, amount and kind of oil.
    Last edited by John MS; 2 Weeks Ago at 13:23.

Fortunately it's from the period of time gilbert made all brass movements.

Quote Originally Posted by DeanL View Post
    Fortunately it's from the period of time gilbert made all brass movements.
    Yes I noticed it was all brass and was pleasantly surprised at how amazingly clean everything looked inside. The clock ticks away as though it were made yesterday. I’m still fiddling with the pendulum to try and keep the correct time.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    The clock can certainly be run by only winding the time train. That's the one on the right. It would be a good idea to clean the movement and lubricate the pivots and escapement. Do you know anyone who works on mechanical clocks? A clock repair shop maybe?

edit: I corrected a confusing description of which side to wind. Also if it runs now you could just use it as is. Or I could walk you through what should and should nor be lubricated, amount and kind of oil.
    That would be great if you could assist me with how to lube the movement. While we’re at it, maybe you could tell me where to lubricate my Seth Thomas I have ticking in my office. Also in the picture is the tube of oil I’ve had inside that Seth Thomas for about 25 years. I believe it was bought from the shop that last worked on it.
    Name:  CE080CB3-9EA1-410E-904C-B1ADACD8AE26.jpeg
Views: 14
Size:  31.8 KB

Name:  64753612-F452-4639-B859-BB382BEFB00F.jpeg
Views: 13
Size:  483.0 KB

To be honest I'm having second thoughts about lubing without dis-assembly and cleaning. I'm concerned about new oil loosening grime and dried oil and ending up with a sticky goo that stops the movement.

Well that makes sense. The clock is actually running fine right now so I guess I’ll let it continue to run until it shows trouble. I’ve found a spot for it and have gained an appreciation for it so I decided not to sell it. Thanks for your help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information