Quartz Clock - Sweeping Second Hand

Thread: Quartz Clock - Sweeping Second Hand

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quartz Clock - Sweeping Second Hand

I work in a hospital. I’m baffled about a cheap quartz wall clock that has a second hand sweeping across the dial with perfect smoothness. Does anyone know how this is possible?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Speedmaster Moonwatch Pro, Omega Deville, Breitling Premier Chronometer, Nomos Metro, Baume & Mercier Baumatic Chronometer, Hamilton Jazzmaster Day/Date, Hamilton Khaki Titanium, Longines Master, Seiko Presage, Seiko Presage W/Power reserve

Re: Quartz Clock - Sweeping Second Hand

Big ass batteries and movements. The issue with sweeping seconds for quartz wristwatches if I understand correctly is that the battery life becomes too short for it to be worthwhile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen wall mounted clocks in buildings with sweeping seconds hands that where wired up to the building. Is that the case here? Or could you see that it had batteries for sure?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 0pticalillusi0n000 View Post
    I've seen wall mounted clocks in buildings with sweeping seconds hands that where wired up to the building. Is that the case here? Or could you see that it had batteries for sure?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    some are but this one isn’t. I’ve worked worked here for 3.5 years and this is the first time I saw this. No big deal, just perplexed.
    Speedmaster Moonwatch Pro, Omega Deville, Breitling Premier Chronometer, Nomos Metro, Baume & Mercier Baumatic Chronometer, Hamilton Jazzmaster Day/Date, Hamilton Khaki Titanium, Longines Master, Seiko Presage, Seiko Presage W/Power reserve

They are electric, low voltage, otherwise the hospital would be full of either non-running clocks, or dead batteries and a custodian whose only job would be to remove and replace batteries, rinse and repeat. So can't be difficult to have an electric sweep second hand

There are very cheap sweeping hand movements. Plus they can be radio controlled.
    All for 12€ from ali. Their downside is that they are noisy too.
    Luxury brands are made for low self - esteemed people.

It seems straightforward to produce a smooth sweeping hand quartz. My barber has one in their shop, similar to the one you posted, and it's battery powered. They are easy to obtain. I have a desk clock that is battery powered and has a smooth sweeping second hand. Battery life is good on that. Haven't replaced them yet (2 x AA) and had it well over a year.

Some do make noise but the desk clock I have is very quiet and you can only hear it slightly at night when everything else is off and quiet.

I noticed a quartz clock with a sweeping second hand at they gym I started going to. Once this pandemic slows down and I can get out again I'll take a picture. I know it had a brand name on it but I can't remember it.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Moved to our Clock World.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Quote Originally Posted by 9029danny View Post
    Big ass batteries and movements. The issue with sweeping seconds for quartz wristwatches if I understand correctly is that the battery life becomes too short for it to be worthwhile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sweeping second hand clock that has been running on a single, small battery for a year now
    Name:  20200414_225122_1586872393157.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  2.27 MB
    Omega: Aqua Terra 220.10.41.21.03.001 Grand Seiko: SBGV223, SBGV205 Breitling: Avenger Seawolf A17330 Seiko: Tuna SBBN015, Samurai SRPC07 Oris: Aquis Damasko: DA46 Sinn: LE 556i Marathon: JSAR Longines: Conquest V.H.P. G Shock: Too many...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information