Question - New Haven Wall Clock Information Needed

Thread: Question - New Haven Wall Clock Information Needed

Question - New Haven Wall Clock Information Needed

Thanks in advance for any assistance. This is my first post and I would like to ask a few questions about new purchase which is a New Haven "style N.H.S. 611-23?T made by the "New Haven Clock Co." I do not have the clock home yet, but the rough dimensions of the clock are about 7" wide and about 9" tall as seen in the pics, but again I can't see the end of the yard stick and don't know for sure.

I am a retired shop teacher that has converted a bedroom into a home office that I am decorating in Art Deco / Streamline Moderne items that not only display well, but also function. Among the subjects that I taught back when the rocks were soft (early 70s) was architectural drafting & design and later just woodworking/metalworking/power mechanics, etc., but in my decoration of this room, I want to display & call attention to a few famous industrial designers of the Art Deco / Streamline Moderne era. As just a few examples ..... I have a vintage Big Ben clock and a vintage Hoover model 450 vacuum both designed by Henry Dreyfuss, a Emerson Silver Swan fan designed by Jane Evans and introduced in 1934, a large vintage RCA Victor console radio, a vintage "tanker" desk that I restored, vintage art deco lighting, and so on.

I hope that they are not too large, but I am posting a couple of pictures (below) of the clock and my questions are:
    1. ballpark on time period that this clock was manufactured
    2. what was the name that the New Haven Clock Co. gave this clock
    3. any ideas as to what industrial designer designed the clock? I am very new to the vintage clock collecting, but this clock seems to me to have a very unusual shape and face design.

Thanks Again ~ Dan

Re: Question - New Haven Wall Clock Information Needed

Hi Dan and welcome to Watchuseek. That New Haven will be a nice addition to your Deco/Moderne collection. Some fascinating designs came from that time. Based on the case and dial design I would say that clock dates to the 1930's. I will look through some materials and see if I can find anything more definitive.

Hi John,

I thank you sir for your time and answers. I hope that I can eventually find out who designed the clock.

Has anyone on the forum created a list that correlates the various industrial designer(s) that designed particular clocks on a specific company basis?

I am 71 and have observed people gravitate to a particular style of cars, motorcycles, furniture, etc. and most of us aren't aware on how industrial design has influenced our lives. I can remember in the 50's that in early September my parents would take me to a town where various car dealers would show their selection of cars for that year and remembering how different the new 1955 Chevy looked from the 1954 Chevy.

Harley Earl was one of the greats in industrial design for General Motors including his early work with Cadillac, Buick, Chevrolet, etc. Harley was responsible for introducing tail fins on cars, also he "started "Project Opel", which eventually became the Chevrolet Corvette, and the list goes on and on. I thought that the 1953 Corvette and the 1955 Thunderbird were such good looking cars when I was a kid and I still do. Anyhoos ......I digress.......but will close the thought ...... didn't various industrial designers give us "subliminal messages" with their ideas of design so that those designs influence us purchasing a product or not purchasing a product?

Thanks Again John and I look forward in finding out more about my old clock.

Dan

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi Dan. I looked and unfortunately my identification resources are limited to pre-electric mechanical clocks. Yes the contributions of Loewy, Earl, etc., are impressive. The NAWCC does have several forums dedicated to clocks. There is a possibility information on the designer as well as model name could be available there. I don't recall seeing a NAWCC Bulletin with a reference to a list of industrial designers and their contributions to clock making. I do remember a reference or two to individual designers. If you are a member the NAWCC library has quite a collection that could also be useful.

I enjoy the deco style of this early 1930's Westclox LaSalle alarm.

Name:  20120328173851StylePhotos913.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  24.4 KB

Hi John,

Again I thank you for your time and kindness. I like the Westclox LaSalle.

I am not a member of the NAWCC as I am not a clock collector as such, but I will try to go online and see if I can find old New Haven catalogs of this time period or perhaps someone else on this forum has knowledge of the old clock that I have.

Thanks and stay safe. ~ Dan

As a non-member you can read and search those NAWCC forums. I believe it is possible for non-members to sign up and post too. Not sure about that.

Thread Information