Wall Clock help needed
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By normn

Thread: Wall Clock help needed

Wall Clock help needed

Can not find maker of wall clock , need key for it also . Shows an Eagle sitting on a ball with an F M and a 5 on the bottom . The back of the movement has a 31/124 on the right side and 50053 on the left side . The same eagle on the ball is stamped into the backside of the movement as well .
    Name:  clock.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  2.96 MBName:  clock1.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  3.58 MBName:  clock2.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  2.95 MBName:  clock3.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  4.09 MBName:  clock4.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  358.4 KB
    Davidka likes this.

Re: Wall Clock help needed

Here is some information on Mauthe clocks. A clock parts house like Timesavers would have a key to fit.

https://www.antiqueclockspriceguide.....php?lm=Mauthe

edit: Also search the NAWCC Clock Forum. I looked briefly and there were several threads on Mauthe clocks. The movement is probably long overdue for a service. How is the case?
    Last edited by John MS; 1 Week Ago at 17:40.

filthy . I can clean that , the movement is the part I am hoping to get a schematic for , the way the case has two windows , clock must have had a pendulum or maybe weights .

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

What looks like a fraction is actually two separate numbers. It takes a 31cm length pendulum and the movement beats at 124 per minute. The winding arbors attach to either a spring or a spool to wind the weight cable up on.

No schematics that I know of. Two train or time and strike movements are remarkably similar in design. A clock repair book such as Practical Clock Repairing by Donald de Carle can help to explain where things go and which parts may be missing.

edit: And here is an interesting thread from the NAWCC Clock Forum. Several clock and movement pictures that may be of help.
    https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/post-yo...ks-here.54369/
    Last edited by John MS; 1 Week Ago at 22:03.

Thank You for your help , John . I am way ahead of where I was . It is a Mauthe , from around the early 1920's . Moving the movement around , it runs . I may call around and see what it will cost to get it right . The case looks good after I got it cleaned .

Glad I could be of some help. If it is ticking that's a good indication most of the movement parts are there. Did you determine if it was spring powered? The repair of old movements is possible at home if you are reasonably handy with small tools. Reading up on repair, buying clock repair tools and going slowly works. Otherwise a good clock repair shop should be able to get it running and source the pendulum.

I see the mainspring , it is behind one of the winder holes in the clock face . The clock has two holes in the face left and right . Guess the right one is to wind the main spring , what is the left one for ?

The clock has two spring driven gear trains. Time train powers the escapement and keeps the pendulum swinging. Strike train is triggered by the time train as it advances.
    Hourly or possibly more frequently it swings a small hammer against a gong to count the hour and possibly half hour.
    There is a third train called the motion works. That simple train is driven by the time train and advances hour and minute hands and allows adjustment for time setting.
    Last edited by John MS; 1 Week Ago at 02:43.

Thanks , looking at the pics , the movement looks very dirty . May look to find a clock refurbish person . I have found that there are not too many people involved with restoring old clocks , near me anyway .

Thread Information