2nd hand moves when i move wrist..Guess watch issues

Thread: 2nd hand moves when i move wrist..Guess watch issues

2nd hand moves when i move wrist..Guess watch issues

If this is the wrong section, my apology and feel free to move this thread.

To bypass my ranting....skip down to Guess4....its the watch im really concerned with fixing at the moment. Thanks

Ive had for 2 around 3 yrs. Its my 4th guess watch and probably last. Ive paid 100 to 150 for my guess watches. Im no watch professional but i just noticed these watches don't seem to last long. I guess i was attracted to guess because its a known brand I've always saw far as clothes. They have some nice looking watches in my past price range. But looking at the fact i have 6 watches that are all 3 to 12 years old and its the 4 guess out of service as opposed to the 2 no names $20 watches.....

1 guess was scrapped after i guess too much water....i take the blame.

Guess2 out of service because 4 or 5 of the chrome looking minute marks fell out and look bad.

Guess3 i no longer like because it looks like a movado knock off....tho i originally bought because it looked like a movado....but being a little older wearing it i feel a little like im wearing a fake...let me know if im wrong.....regardless it functions so i bought a battery and put the movado look a like missing shiny 3 o'clock mark back in service. Not to mention it started fogging up a lot years ago....i guess something isn't sealed off because washing my hands or it being damp outside fogs it sometimes.

On to Guess4 my favorite of all my current watches. Its been out of action for over a year. Because its the nicest i have in my opinion i recently wore despite the 2nd hand movement and lack of battery.....

Basically the minutes hand moves whenever my wrist is active (if i raise arm, move wrist, shake wrist/hand, etc...) almost like the 2nd hand is loose. Looking at it....it seems to be sort of leaning downward rather than being leveled like normal hands...sorry for my description i cant think of another way to describe and i dont know proper names for parts.

Basically due to my current financial situation i have to make use with my current watch inventory for now. Id really like this watch to function properly. I changed the battery and the hand still moves all over the place. It also does it with no battery installed. If my hand doesnt make any strong movement its fine. Any idea of the cause, is the fix complicated for diy? My searching gets a bunch of results related to the 2nd hand skipping....i didnt find anything on it moving with a simple wrist turn. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: 2nd hand moves when i move wrist..Guess watch issues

We are all gonna tell you the same thing. Stay away from guess, fossil, tommy hillwhatever, or any sears fashion brand.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
    Stratocasters Rock!

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Don't DIY if you got no understanding of watch repairs. A watchmaker (not talking about those mall guys) should be able to fix it for little money.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hopefully you are aware that Guess is simply a brand, they have an office somewhere (or whatever conglomerate who owns them has a farm of cubicles in their office) and they contract out both the design and manufacturing of their products, both clothing and these watches. So you can't really compare one watch to another and say "I got this performance out of this one, so I expect the same from this other one." They're likely made by different contractors out of different factories with different parts depending on when you bought them and what Guess was up to at that point in time.

If the hands are moving around freely, at a minimum there's something wrong with the hands or the axle they're mounted on, and at worst the whole movement is toast. You have three options: 1. Scour the case and the internet for any model numbers you can find and try to contact Guess to see if they have a warranty/repair solution (Best of luck with that). 2. Find a competent watchmaker in your area who has the skill to swap in a new movement or troubleshoot the loose hands. (If the watch really has nostalgic or sentimental value, this is your best route imo, but doesn't sound like it). Or 3, scrap it or otherwise move on to a new watch.

Didn't know i had any responses.

Thanks for the advice. I have a feeling the fix would be no less than 40 and with some minor scratches on it i "guess" there's no need to repair it at this point. Well this will probably end my guess watch days....i know the lady at Macy's always recommended Fossil over guess but its about the same quality huh?

Thanks

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guesswho98 View Post
    Didn't know i had any responses.

Thanks for the advice. I have a feeling the fix would be no less than 40 and with some minor scratches on it i "guess" there's no need to repair it at this point. Well this will probably end my guess watch days....i know the lady at Macy's always recommended Fossil over guess but its about the same quality huh?

Thanks
    Guess and Fossil might not differ significantly in quality, fit and finish. What about getting a real watch instead ? Seiko 5, Orient ??
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

The Fossil will likely be of comparable quality, but they have a retail network and an established repair center/warranty policy, so if this kind of thing were to happen again you'd have much easier recourse.

Don't know much else about your requirements for a watch...assuming you just want "stylish, every day" your options are rather wide open. If I was limiting myself to Macy's, I'd be looking at Seiko, Citizen, Tissot, Bulova, and Movado.

Guesswho98:
    Precisely why I don't buy Guess watches, or any watch that isn't a Tool Watch.
    But it's your money, spend it on watches you like. Not passing judgement,

X Traindriver Art

Thread Information