Counterfeit or Real Guess Water Pro
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Aleric

Thread: Counterfeit or Real Guess Water Pro

Counterfeit or Real Guess Water Pro

I recently purchased what I thought was a Guess Water Pro on eBay. When I received it I had my doubts. I wrote to Guess and told them that: "The front and back have no model number or movement number. The movement does not appear to be any where near the quality I would expect from a Guess watch. The movement is marked: "TMI Japan; Time Module, INC; Y121G or YI2IG, with a 4 in a pentagon. Inside the back cover is stamped CALLLANEN INTERNATIONAL, CHINA CASE. Under that is stamped B with 78 in ink."

Their response surprised me in that they had no interest in determining if the watch was counterfeit or not. Their response was: "
    Only an authorized GUESS?, Inc. representative can make a determination of authenticity, however we do not offer this service to the general public. The only way you can be certain that you are purchasing a genuine product is to purchase it directly from one of our stores, from a reputable department store or retailer, or through our website."

So I am asking here if anyone can say if this is possibly a counterfeit or not? I am attaching pictures of the watch face, movement, case back, inside and out. Again, there is no model, or movement number. The movement appears very cheap for a Water Pro to me but I am a relative neophyte to watch collecting. I started collecting moderately inexpensive watches because I am disabled and I find watches an interesting hobby.

Thanks for your help.

Dick

Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Counterfeit or Real Guess Water Pro

That watch looks like an older piece. It looks legit to me. I can't see any reason why anyone would go to the trouble of making a fake watch for such an inexpensive watch to begin with.
    drdas007 likes this.

I'm not sure why you are so worried that this could be a fake, it just looks like a typical fashion watch inside which is what it is. Aren't Guess watches made by Timex? Don't expect to see the typical markings you might on a higher end piece on a watch like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks, I just thought a Water Pro would have a model or caliber number marked on it. I was surprised when it didn't. I suppose I expected too much.

Thanks for the info. I'm just new at this stuff.

It recently has occurred to me that I gave my wife a ladies (27mm) Guess? WaterPro watch. I must have picked it up at either a garage sale or on ebay as a part of one of those auctions for a "as is" lot of watches that someone else collected at garage sales. This one only needed battery to start running again.

It is similar to your watch in many ways. TMI movement, the same info on the case back, and also a "1995". Inside the case back was the "Callamen International", but mine says "Hong Kong" instead of China, a stamped letter "B", and a 52 in black ink.

Based on these observations, I think your watch is the real thing.

By the way, I like the look of your WaterPro. Nice looking blue dial.

I agree that it is unlikely that anyone would trouble themselves to counterfeit a Guess? watch. There's little room for profit, and neither is there a great demand.
    - I never met a watch I didn't like.

Thanks everyone.

That satisfies my novice curiosity.

Dick

Colored Watches

Thanks for the info.

Thread Information