Are fashion watch brands techincally inferior to more estblished watch brands?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Are fashion watch brands techincally inferior to more estblished watch brands?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Are fashion watch brands techincally inferior to more estblished watch brands?

Hi all, been getting into the quartz scene and looking into more watches that can be considered fashion watches by the hobbyists, as it opens up the variety of watches quite a bit.

It seems that established watch companies get a pass for their lower end watches (I'll use Seiko as an example), but similarly priced fashion watches get overlooked. I understand that it's generally because the established brands have 'given back' to the watch community with interesting designs and breakthroughs, but specifically on the merit of a watch model itself, is there something implicitly better from a lower end Seiko vs, say a MVMT? I understand that the fashion brands may not be doing anything interesting in the watch world, but to an outsider that does not consider horological history, what would be the advantage of avoiding a fashion watch over an established brand's watch, assuming they are in the same price range and technically similar?

Re: Are fashion watch brands techincally inferior to more estblished watch brands?

Depends on what you consider a "fashion brand". There are some here who consider Cartier a fashion brand, 'snob-wannabes'.

Re: Are fashion watch brands techincally inferior to more estblished watch brands?

my usual strategy for "fashion" watch is simply go for the one that looks the best. I mean, if you're in for the "fashion" aspect of it, you probably don't expect someone to come and closely examine and evaluate your watch. But to answer your question, low end Seiko vs MVMT, Seiko is more reliable and sturdy and MVMT looks more "modern". At the end of the day, just choose what goes best with your wardrobe. Or, why not both? lol

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the input, really helps put things into perspective. I like the point of just getting both watches too if my wife allows me lol

I have quite a few "fashion" types and they are holding up just fine for me. Many have pretty nice quartz movements, as well. "Technically" most are very good.
    Thank you, I'm flattered, but, please don't click any "Likes" for me (unless there's a prize for "most likes")?

The rub is except for fossil that they are ordinary quartz/Auto movements with high prices relative to established manufacturers of affordable brands.You are just paying for the name and quite dearly in some cases.

In the category fashion watches I have a Breil and Emporio Armani back from the days before I studied marketing and when I was a bit more susceptible to having a 'cool' watch (spending 250-300 EUR watch would do the trick). Both quartz of course.

The Breil is a chronograph that I have had for 12 years and although the hand of the chronograph didn't reset to 12 anymore quite a few years ago (never made it past 11 sadly), this is probably a quick fix I have been to lazy to bring it in for (that reminds me, I may as well do it now just for fun :)). I would say that is not an indicator of bad quality if it's been going for 12 years (of course with the occasional battery switch). Even apart from one scratch in the crystal which has annoyed me since the day I put it in there, I think the quality is good.

The Emporio Armani watch was just a basic black leather strap, steel case quartz. Probably had have it for about 8 years and never had any problems with it. Even took it apart one day to use my new watch tools and it ran like clockwork again after reassembly.

So overall I am positive about the quality, but these days I have no doubt that you would be able to get the same quality for 100-150 and that the remainder I paid was for the brand name (read, their advertising campaigns plus profit margin). I have to say though that having seen many brands being launched on kickstarter which were subsequently dead in the water once they had spent the money on their first production run, I am actually not minding a company trying to stay relevant and visible that much anymore. Curious to hear what others think of that though!

Quote Originally Posted by James Haury View Post
    The rub is except for fossil that they are ordinary quartz/Auto movements with high prices relative to established manufacturers of affordable brands.You are just paying for the name and quite dearly in some cases.

Forgot to mention that on the Breil I replaced the leather strap within a few months for a steel bracelet because it was deteriorating rapidly. Sadly my body is not made for any hot weather and the strap had to pay for that. On the Armani one this was also an issue, but it was not as bad plus I really want to have that black leather strap :). Anyway, some further considerations for you.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardVal View Post
    In the category fashion watches I have a Breil and Emporio Armani back from the days before I studied marketing and when I was a bit more susceptible to having a 'cool' watch (spending 250-300 EUR watch would do the trick). Both quartz of course.

The Breil is a chronograph that I have had for 12 years and although the hand of the chronograph didn't reset to 12 anymore quite a few years ago (never made it past 11 sadly), this is probably a quick fix I have been to lazy to bring it in for (that reminds me, I may as well do it now just for fun :)). I would say that is not an indicator of bad quality if it's been going for 12 years (of course with the occasional battery switch). Even apart from one scratch in the crystal which has annoyed me since the day I put it in there, I think the quality is good.

The Emporio Armani watch was just a basic black leather strap, steel case quartz. Probably had have it for about 8 years and never had any problems with it. Even took it apart one day to use my new watch tools and it ran like clockwork again after reassembly.

So overall I am positive about the quality, but these days I have no doubt that you would be able to get the same quality for 100-150 and that the remainder I paid was for the brand name (read, their advertising campaigns plus profit margin). I have to say though that having seen many brands being launched on kickstarter which were subsequently dead in the water once they had spent the money on their first production run, I am actually not minding a company trying to stay relevant and visible that much anymore. Curious to hear what others think of that though!

This will probably be an emotional response but i've tried several fashion watches, DW, MVMT, Diesel, and except for fossil, they always feel extremely cheap and doesn't really look good. My brother, who is not into watches, bought a Chinese made 40mm dress watch for 15 usd. But if you hold them side by side a DW or MVMT you couldn't really tell the difference. This is why i cannot justify myself spending more that 10 usd on them let alone retail.

From my point of view is not much about horological significance or history, but more about why would i spend 150 usd on a DW when i can spend $35 on a Timex weekender which is very well made. I couldn't comment on their movements. I'm aware DW uses Miyota while timex uses ?

I'm probably talking out of my ass and please feel free to correct me. Like i said this was emotional.

I say no. If it is Quartz it will be just as accurate as a high end Quartz. you like the watch, wear the watch. I own Nixon, Swatch, and Timex which are kinda snubbed elsewhere. You know what catches your eye. Buy it, wear it and make good memories.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information