Fossil - some help identifying/finding, please

Thread: Fossil - some help identifying/finding, please

Fossil - some help identifying/finding, please

Hello folks:

I'm contemplating to call the shot on the watch pictured below (borrowed pictures). It's a Fossil, automatic, three central hands, multi-function, open heart at 6 o'clock, display case back, as you can see.

I've been heavily searching the Internet for a couple of days to get an idea of the value and performance of this watch, but I haven't been able to locate it anywhere on the net. I have seen similar ones with the hands off-center (between center and 12 o'clock) and/or the heart at 7 o'clock, but nothing exactly as the one shown below.

I would like to get your directions, opinions or suggestions about the pictured watch below, please. The most info you can give me the better for me ;)

Thanks in advance!

Name:  Fossil01.png
Views: 209
Size:  114.1 KBName:  fossil02.png
Views: 201
Size:  198.0 KBName:  Fossil03.png
Views: 202
Size:  209.4 KB
    Last edited by Intrepid04; December 10th, 2016 at 02:31.
    "Every watch has its own function." GP 2015.

Re: Fossil - some help identifying/finding, please

All I can tell you is that it's an "ME"(ie:ME-xxxx) series watch. I had some up until a few years ago. Nice. I'm guessing '03 to '07?
    Thank you, I'm flattered, but, please don't click any "Likes" for me (unless there's a prize for "most likes")?

J.D.B., thanks for reading and replying. That's was a good hint as I have been able to narrow the search by ME series. I have found/seen some similar ones, but still not able to find the exact model posted above.

Again, thanks four hint as I wouldn't even know where to start from.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Discontinued Fossil ME with a Seagull ST 2502 movement.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.B. View Post
    All I can tell you is that it's an "ME"(ie:ME-xxxx) series watch. I had some up until a few years ago. Nice. I'm guessing '03 to '07?
    J.D.B., thanks again. It's an ME 1045, apparently made in late 2007 or very early 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    Discontinued Fossil ME with a Seagull ST 2502 movement.
    Stuffler, Mike: after I found the exact model number, I was able to search it on the net. Although I didn't find a lot of info about it, I found one describing it as having a "21 Jewel Multi-Function Self Winding Precise Japanese Automatic Movement". But I definitively and surely trust your info over the one I found from the Internet.

Apparently, Fossil sold those watches with an 11-year warranty, which means it should be repairable/serviceable until 2017-18? Is "discontinued" something good or bad for value?

The watch has an automatic movement with hacking functionality. I'm not sure if it's also hand winding.

I tried to search that movement (ST 2502) but couldn't come up with something "rational". I got an "Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Square, Cal 2502", which obviously must be a complete different thing.

So, if you could please excuse my ignorance (but wishes to learn more), I would appreciate if you could elaborate a little bit more on that movement. For instance:
    - is the ST 2502 a 21-jewel automatic, hacking movement?
    - this particular watch also has two complications: day and date subdials at 9 and 3 o'clock with quick-set recessed pushers at 8 and 4 o'clock positions, respectively. Are those in accordance with a ST 2502 movement?
    - the watch also has an open heart with a flying wheel at 6 o'clock. I guess the movement doesn't matter for that.

The more you could elaborate and explain, the more appreciated will be.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Intrepid04; December 18th, 2016 at 05:55.

I see several on the Bay. Prices anywhere from $45 to $150. As I recall all mine were hand-windable.
    Thank you, I'm flattered, but, please don't click any "Likes" for me (unless there's a prize for "most likes")?

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

The Seagull ST 2502 (belonging to the 25 family) is especially suitable for open balance watches.

......I guess the movement doesn't matter for that.
    Of course it matters, there are movements with the balance wheel at a different position. Orient, Citizen, Epos, Seiko, Edox, Zeppelin, Junkers, Tissot, Hamilton, Frederique Constant and even Zenith to name just some.

The 2502 features a central seconds hand, date at 3, day at 9, visible balance wheel at 6, 29 jewels. As I said it belongs to the Sea-Gull ST25 / TY25XX family (21.600 b/h, about 48 hrs power reserve, rotor on ball-bearing, developed by Tianjin Seagull in 2000. The ST 25 is hacking.

Name:  Seagull-Movement-Front-slice-large.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  2.56 MB

Alll about the ST 25 here in German but self-explaining (imho). And there's a lot more to be found on the www.

Discontinued - good or bad for value ?

Hmmh. Imho this question doesn't play a role if it comes to a discontinued fashion watch. Watches aren't an investment. The moment you buy it it will loose value. Only a few watches hold their value over the time, Fossil watches usually do not belong into this group. The ME 1045 is no exception.
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; December 18th, 2016 at 11:23.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.B. View Post
    I see several on the Bay. Prices anywhere from $45 to $150. As I recall all mine were hand-windable.
    Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    The Seagull ST 2502 (belonging to the 25 family) is especially suitable for open balance watches.

Of course it matters, there are movements with the balance wheel at a different position. Orient, Citizen, Epos, Seiko, Edox, Zeppelin, Junkers, Tissot, Hamilton, Frederique Constant and even Zenith to name just some.

The 2502 features a central seconds hand, date at 3, day at 9, visible balance wheel at 6, 29 jewels. As I said it belongs to the Sea-Gull ST25 / TY25XX family (21.600 b/h, about 48 hrs power reserve, rotor on ball-bearing, developed by Tianjin Seagull in 2000. The ST 25 is hacking.

Name:  Seagull-Movement-Front-slice-large.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  2.56 MB

Alll about the ST 25 here in German but self-explaining (imho). And there's a lot more to be found on the www.

Discontinued - good or bad for value ?

Hmmh. Imho this question doesn't play a role if it comes to a discontinued fashion watch. Watches aren't an investment. The moment you buy it it will loose value. Only a few watches hold their value over the time, Fossil watches usually do not belong into this group. The ME 1045 is no exception.
    Hello folks:
    Sorry for my very late reply and Happy New Year to all!

J.D.B., thanks for the info. I really appreciated it as it helped me to make my decision.

Stuffler, Mike, because of your answer and explanation, which I also really appreciate, I realize that I didn't express correctly in my previous statement. I'll clarify:

When I stated "the movement doesn't matter", I meant to indicate that it doesn't matter for having an open heart with a flying wheel (some times it's hard to put all the things in mind in writing ;)). But thanks for your detailed explanation.

Also, when I asked "is discontinued something good or bad for value", I meant current market/buying value, as I wanted to have an idea how much was ok to pay for it. J.D.B. answered my question about market value. Thanks folks.

So, sorry for the misunderstanding but I value your detailed explanation and opinion.

The guy was asking $70, which I think it's about half way of the market price spectrum, based on the valuable info you both provided. He's the sole owner since he bought it brand new in 2008. It has some almost unnoticeable scratches at the tip of the dome crystal. Other than that the watch is in very good cosmetic and working condition. I like it. I pulled the trigger for $60.

Stuffler, Mike, I have one more question for you (or anybody who would like to pitch in): IYHO, is this a reliable automatic movement?

Thanks folks!
    Last edited by Intrepid04; January 2nd, 2017 at 03:45.

Thread Information