Sea Gull M199S vs Hugo Boss vs other >550USD

Thread: Sea Gull M199S vs Hugo Boss vs other >550USD

Sea Gull M199S vs Hugo Boss vs other >550USD

Hello, first time posting to this forum after having lurked for a while. I discovered that I had an interest for watches a few months ago.

Now I would very much like a mechanical true moon phase watch for my 18th birthday, coming up in April 2015. This would also be my first so called "real watch.

I've been looking at the M199s by Sea Gull

New Sea-Gull M199S chronograph with moonphase ST1908

I'm a big fan of the design, though the off white dial kind of puts me off... And there are no really good wrist shots/other shots that really display what color the dial is.

I've been scanning all over the web for nice moon phases, and I stumbled upon this Hugo Boss Hugo Boss Black 1512655 Moon Phase klocka and I really like it, but I don't know anything about it, nor can I find any info on the movement, so any help in that area would be greatly appreciated. Could it be the same as in the WUS Moon Phase project? And the SG 308S?

So, what watch do you like best? And if you know any alternatives under or around 550 USD feel free to post them! I'm also Swedish.. so watches in Europe would be lovely (taxes and import duties) thanks beforehand!

Re: Sea Gull M199S vs Hugo Boss vs other >550USD

I would be surprised if the movement in that Hugo Boss watch were NOT the Chinese movement in the CMWF Moonphase watch--that big date plus moonphase format in an automatic strongly suggests it.

I loved that watch (the forum one) and think the movement is pretty solid, though the rotor is kind of loud. Dunno if that would hold in a different case. But the Boss watch is more attractive than the Seagull chrono IMHO, I'd go for it despite the fashion branding. You can also find the simpler date+moonphase movement in other watches, however.
    Omega Speedmaster Professional (311.30.42.30.01.005) * Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra >15,000 Gauss (231.10.42.21.01.002)
    Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso Grande Taille (270.84.10) * TAG Heuer Aquaracer 500M ceramic (WAK2110) * Poljot OKEAH Chronograph

Re: Sea Gull M199S vs Hugo Boss vs other >550USD

Quote Originally Posted by Skitalets View Post
    I would be surprised if the movement in that Hugo Boss watch were NOT the Chinese movement in the CMWF Moonphase watch--that big date plus moonphase format in an automatic strongly suggests it.

I loved that watch (the forum one) and think the movement is pretty solid, though the rotor is kind of loud. Dunno if that would hold in a different case. But the Boss watch is more attractive than the Seagull chrono IMHO, I'd go for it despite the fashion branding. You can also find the simpler date+moonphase movement in other watches, however.
    Well, the fashion Branding did indeed put me off a bit at first, but I dont like the Sea Gull one (the big 12 makes the dial unbalanced) its also hard to find the Maurice Blum ones. I did however find this Elysee http://m.ebay.com/itm/231303094082?nav=SEARCH which is very pretty, but I can't find a "buy now" option for that one... Thanks for confirming the movement though :)

Thread Information