Seeking Watch for boxing day tips
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By martincs
  • 1 Post By stuffler,mike

Thread: Seeking Watch for boxing day tips

Seeking Watch for boxing day tips

Hello all, I'm new to this forum as you can see from the join date / post count.

Since its boxing day tomorrow where I live, I'm going to be browsing for a new watch on sale. Up till Christmas I was looking at a bunch in my local department stores and Jewellery retailers. Want to spoil myself this year as I just got a full time job and want to replace my current watch below.

I wanted something to look like what I currently have like the 3 sub dials and metal brace. I never bought a high end watch before, this one only costed $90 and lasted me 5 years and I only replaced the crystal when I cracked it. I was thinking of buying a Citizen as they seem to have the look I want and prices are pretty good at $500-700. Other brands so far that I seen, seem too flashy.

Select Your Country | Citizen Watch - English (CA)Citizen Watch

Select Your Country | Citizen Watch - English (CA)Citizen Watch

So far I have these 2 on my list, but if someone can recommend something else from another brand it'll help my search tomorrow when I run around town. My max budget is $800. TY

Re: Seeking Watch for boxing day tips

I'm new to this like you. For that sort of budget, how about a pre-owned Omega? Just from what I've found out whilst reading myself, I dont even have beginner level knowledge.
    Aleric likes this.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by martincs View Post
    I'm new to this like you. For that sort of budget, how about a pre-owned Omega? Just from what I've found out whilst reading myself, I dont even have beginner level knowledge.
    Omega is not considered to be a fashion watch and this is the Fashion & Designers Watches Forum.
    # symelton: Please let me know if I should move your post to another forum. If not looking for a fashion(able) watch.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by martincs View Post
    I never bought pre owned stuff so wasn't even considering it :P

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    Omega is not considered to be a fashion watch and this is the Fashion & Designers Watches Forum.
    # symelton: Please let me know if I should move your post to another forum. If not looking for a fashion(able) watch.
    Omega's aren't fashionable? Like this watch below?

http://www.omegawatches.com/fileadmi...5101001-20.png

Kinda confuse, because I think the watch I'm looking for fits most under this catagory in the forum and kinda looks like the omega watch above. Didn't buy a watch yet btw, still deciding.

So just to clarify are citizen watches fashion(able) or not, if not you can move my thread because obviously I'm not sure which category it falls under.

http://c06.coacdn.com/watches/AT4010-50E_fullsize.png

http://c01.coacdn.com/watches/AT4007-54E_fullsize.png

http://c01.coacdn.com/watches/CA0260-52H_fullsize.png

http://en.worldtempus.com/sites/defa...-face-view.jpg

So far those are the ones I'm looking at, because all the others seem to be Chronograph watches which I don't really need. Prefer the other dials to tell me more about the date.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

The Omega SMP Co-axial chrono is a masterpiece of watchmaking and imho far away from being a fashion watch, obviously we do have a different understanding about fashion watches.
    From the sub-title of this forum you can deduce what our understanding was when creating this forum "Dedicated to fashion(able) and designers watch brands like Diesel, DKNY, Fossil, Jacob Jensen and Guess."
    Aleric likes this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Think of fashion watches as watches made by clothing brands and fashion designers, or watches that all the college kids wear. a "watch watch" will be something where people admire the mechanics and complications of the actual mechanical engineering. Think a fashion watch as the contrast to a diver which has utility.
    Last edited by UnionBlue; December 31st, 2013 at 09:59.
    “No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.” -Nelson Mandela

Don't know if your still looking but If you are then you should take a look at Hamilton. One of the best mid range brands. You can pick up an nice automatic for around £350-400 which are really great watches.

Thx Union and mike for some clarification and insight.

Union: Funny thing is when I was in college years most people were just using there cell's hardly see any watches, if there were it would be something from walmart :P

James: Yes I'm still looking, as sales have been going on and some how stores are continuing to offer extra incentives so I'm taking my time atm. I'm looking at Hamilton's on the website as the store I went to today all the watches look like bleh imo.

If you are looking for a decent quality watch (rather than a particular fashion brand) then I would definitely recommend the Citizens you have been looking at - I have owned a few of them and they are superb quality watches, and great value given the features you get.

In fact the only reason I don't own one of the watches you linked to is the fact I felt them a little too large physically for my wrist, otherwise I would have bought one for myself...

Thread Information