Shall we consider Swatch a fashion brand
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Shall we consider Swatch a fashion brand

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Shall we consider Swatch a fashion brand

Swatch had separate forum and it was merged with public forum. It never been a part of fashion watches forum.
    I do respect Swatch as a brand and design efforts are borderline avant-garde often crossing line of it into unknown territory.
    Shall we consider Swatch as fashion brand? In many cases Swatch is a fashion statement and more accessory than a watch.
    Tell me what you think.
    It should be special!

Re: Shall we consider Swatch a fashion brand

Well people collect swatches, but more people collect sneakers. So i would say one can consider a swatch fashion and the other call them fashion classics and the third only a classic and maybe they're all right.

Swatch makes their own movement in-house, and their movement is exclusive to Swatch alone. They also make their own cases, of their own unique design, also exclusive to themselves.

This makes them much more than a fashion brand.

Swatch is an innovator and an industry leader who happens to sell their product for an affordable price.

However, they happen to own some subsidiary companies who ARE fashion brands, and like many fashion goods, are sold at much higher prices.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If we define fashion watch as (unfortunately) some low quality, appearance over substance, than yes Swatch is not and fashion brand.
    But i am talking about another definition of fashion watch as fashionable accessory to your wardrobe and as such it fits the bill.
    It is rather unusual by majority of fashion brands production standards and i am only applauding Swatch innovations.
    Ok, let rephrase, do you consider wearing Swatch fashionable?
    It should be special!

It is indeed an enigma. On one hand you have colorful fashion watches designed by artists and on the other hand you have Lemania based mechanical chronographs for more serious collectors. I guess they started as a fashion brand and slowly moved towards the ultra-affordable segment.
    Rocket1991 likes this.

Swatch has something for almost anyone. I don't remember any year (collection) when i could not find swatch i would like to wear. I tend to gravitate towards cleaner, classic, Bauhaus designs.
    I think it reflects how their audience grew and matured, but some of the customers still like Swatch.
    Swatch Irony and System 51 are very good watches. May be not the best bang for a buck, but really good. Chronographs are totally on recommended list.
    It should be special!

I would say it is a border line fashion brand.

Swatch isn't "a" fashion brand, it's "the" fashion brand. I'd argue it was the first fashion brand. No shame in that.
    I collected them as a (dorky) teen.
    Rocket1991 and andrea__81 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by LosAngelesTimer View Post
    Swatch isn't "a" fashion brand, it's "the" fashion brand. I'd argue it was the first fashion brand. No shame in that.
    I collected them as a (dorky) teen.
    I agree. The plastic watch that made a revolution. Probably Fashion is almost offensive. It's an Iconic brand, just like Rolex, Omega, Cartier, Patek, Casio, Seiko, Vacheron...please stop me!.... and Frank Muller, Audemar... lol).
    I still have and wear an Irony chrono from '80s sometimes... I love it!
    People that use to see me with some iconic watch at the wrist get surprised and appreciate it like the others I own and more! Actually 90% of the people doesn't know what brand is my Breguet F.F. They have to ask if it is expensive or not. And they are interested to it less than my Nautica or Vostok! But a Swatch Irony makes everyone happy and pops up memories! That's the value of a watch! More than the price! Feeling!
    I'm so proud of it... and I can show it freely without thinking that someone will cut my arm to steal it!!!

I remember the line to have the last model and the auctions for thousands $$$ (There were Lire at that time!) to wear a plastic quartz... but Swiss Made!
    I regret I throw away my Pop-Swatch with the elastic wrist band. I would surprise my friends in 2018!

The problem now, after 30 years, is the original leather wristband: It has few cracks on it and there's no Nivea cream to help!! Do you think I should complain and ask a refund??

Defenitely Not a fashion watch that would be an insult to such a great Brand.

Here are my reasons why not:
    1. Its a Quality made in Swiss watch collection.
    2. Its part of the Swatch group that hold its higher end brands such as Omega and Tissot (to name a few). It's their low end entry level brand.
    3. Its Quartz movement and internal movement is very accurate. You just have to pop in a battery and the watch is back in service. So very low maintenance.
    4. It is very durable (irony line), yes if broken it cannot be repaired, but its hard to actually break it, not to mention it can last a very long time if you maintain its battery changes in the prescribed time ( i have one that has been running for 11 years).
    5. Its one of the best everyday work watches, its a good priced, can take a beating and very low maintenance.

Fasion watches are for show and Swatch ain't that.
    Rocket1991 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information