Shinola fashion or not?
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Shinola fashion or not?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Shinola fashion or not?

Hi All,

Now that Shinola has started producing some automatic watches I thought I'd throw this question to everyone: do you think shinola should still be classified as a fashion brand? Or do you consider them in a higher league than the traditional fashion watches....

Thanks!

Re: Shinola fashion or not?

I dont own one but I think they are a few rungs up from a pure fashion watch from my research. I want one but its a bit higher than I like to spend.

Definitely not what I'd consider a "fashion" watch, mainly due to their build quality combined with their pricing -- I find fashion watches to be either cheaply made or well-built but WAY overpriced, and Shinola manages to deliver quality without extreme price. They're spendy, yeah, but not overly so for what they are.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I would say no, but they are cool

I wouldn't characterize it as fashion, no. But you can make it work if need be.

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Shinola is a brand of shoe-polish resurrected and repurposed (with a hearty dose of fashionable irony) to sell watches and other aspirational goods. It is definitely a fashion brand.

Do we need to give it a different category in order to endow it with credibility? I don't think so. As a brand and as a company Shinola are doing some fairly remarkable things that set them well ahead of many other US-based watch brands. They're pursuing local sourcing, upskilling a local workforce, and helping reposition Detroit's identity in the consumer good market; mostly through solidly engineered although rather expensive quartz watches pitched perfectly at hipsters. And they are succeeding. Debates about whether or not they are 'fashion' are kind of besides the point.
    chartzngrafs and Cobia like this.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Quote Originally Posted by Chascomm View Post
    Shinola is a brand of shoe-polish resurrected and repurposed (with a hearty dose of fashionable irony) to sell watches and other aspirational goods. It is definitely a fashion brand.

Do we need to give it a different category in order to endow it with credibility? I don't think so. As a brand and as a company Shinola are doing some fairly remarkable things that set them well ahead of many other US-based watch brands. They're pursuing local sourcing, upskilling a local workforce, and helping reposition Detroit's identity in the consumer good market; mostly through solidly engineered although rather expensive quartz watches pitched perfectly at hipsters. And they are succeeding. Debates about whether or not they are 'fashion' are kind of besides the point.

I recently bought a automatic bronze dive watch they now offer - i'm pleasantly surprised by the build quality on it. I'm glad my purchase is going toward the above mentioned goals of the company.
    Chascomm likes this.

How is the quality of Shinola?

Quote Originally Posted by Amaliana View Post
    How is the quality of Shinola?
    Honestly, the new automatics they are putting out are awesome.

I own Oris, Seiko, Grand Seiko, Orient, Sinn, shinola, and many other brands... and I can say for certain that the only thing I own that beats my Shinolas (in terms of build quality and aesthetics) is the Grand Seiko.

I'd put the shinola monster series above many over priced swiss brands....

Let me know if you have any specific questions about the following models: Bronze monster, Lake Superior monster, Lake Michigan monster.

According to Merriam Webster: fashion (n.) = the prevailing style (as in dress) during a particular time.

So, I guess it's important to define the "particular time." Wrist watches are the "fashion" of most of the 20th and, for a segment of the population, 21st centuries thus making all watches "fashionable" relative to, say, the time of the Pharaohs.

In the WIS vernacular: fashion (adj.) = describing a watch that is either quartz, cheaply made, gaudy, non-Swiss or non-Japanese, of heritage <20 years or some combination thereof

Therefore, I would estimate that Shinola is living in a quantum dimension between fashion (Invicta/Stuhrling) and entry level luxury (Oris, Hamilton, TAG).

Of course, this is all relative so I'm going to look for patent clerk jobs.
    phillyforager likes this.
    It's not a matter of mercy
    It's not a matter of laws
    Plenty of people will kill you
    For some fanatical cause
    - Rush

C-3PO: "Is there anything I might do, sir?"
    Luke: "Not unless you can alter time, speed up the harvest or teleport me off this rock."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information