What Do you look for in a fashion watch
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Deity42

Thread: What Do you look for in a fashion watch

What Do you look for in a fashion watch

Hi Guys!

Long time lurker here.

I have a few watches, 2 Tags and a Rolex but was looking for a fashion watch, Daniel Wellington type but not DW. Around the $200-$300 range.

Other than look, does movement, stainless steel type, Shapphire Crystal, strap matter when you are looking to purchase or do you purchase purely based on look?

Curious!

Thanks

Re: What Do you look for in a fashion watch

Generally "fashion watches" are like cuss words on here. They usually mean cheap Chinese $2 quartz watches that sell at department stores for crazy high marked up prices.

Now watch shopping wise, I go look first. It has to catch my attention before any boxes are checked off. I stick to certain parameters like a size window (37-42mm) depending on style of watch, case material, crystal type, movement type and the brand's general quality.

In the $200-$300 price range certain brands come to mind like Seiko, Orient, Tissot, Hamilton, etc. The Orient Bambino has different dial versions and fits well in your price range.

If I'm considering a "fashion watch," as I think this forum and its users define it - I'm looking at:

1. Does it offer some kind of unique...gimmick, look or style uncommon to "non-fashion/quality" watches? For example, if I just need a plain, white-faced, arabic numeral, 38mm, leather strapped watch - there are plenty of established brands with known quality that offer that style (Timex, Seiko, any of them) that I will go to first. But let's say I see one that uses a neat color combination...or cool handsets, different fonts, wild dials, etc. I dunno, something that stands out. Another good example is "bathroom scale" watches. Something like that is going to be uncommon, expensive, or difficult to find among respected brands. I also avoid integrated straps/bracelets entirely. More often than not, the strap will suck, and I want to be able to swap it out for something nicer.

2. It's weird to say quality, but let me qualify that. I think with a fashion watch, a cheap Chinese or Japanese quartz movement is a given. I think mineral glass, and maybe even base metal cases will also be standard. Leather quality is also going to be substandard. So does the fashion watch manage to convey that it was at least crafted with skill and care given those baselines? A good example of this is Fossil. Fossils make a lot of shortcuts with basic movements (like the sub-register second chronos) and other things, but when you hold one in your hand, it feels good. It's inexpensive, but it doesn't feel cheap, if that makes sense. They do well with unique dial textures, stainless cases, and nice quality leather.

3. Price, brand, retail network. I think my limit for a fashion watch is somewhere around $200. And for $200 it had better be super rad. I think my most expensive Fossil was $125, and my most expensive Swatches were $150, so that's more realistic for me. It's also better if it has a retail network behind it. Fossils, regardless of your opinion of them, were at least designed with some kind of intent, in order to fit in with a brand image. You walk into a Fossil store, it feels like a Fossil store. I also vastly prefer buying things in person, and taking things back to a store if there's a problem in person. Same goes for stuff like Michael Kors, Kenneth Cole, etc. I don't shop at either of those stores, but if I did, perhaps I want a piece that fits my style/look when wearing that clothing.

4. Things I avoid, for example, are the no-name $19.99 jobbies you find at Target and Walmart. Last time I was in JC Penny, they had a table full of $20-$30 "Geneve" branded watches, all with generic fashion styles. Nope. Right next to the table was the watch case where they were selling Caravelles for $75. Over twice the price, but twice the quality, IMO. I also try to avoid "fake" features/complications on any brand - non-functional sub registers and "dive watch" bezels that doesn't turn, etc. Even if it's a cheap fashion watch I want it to be honest.

5. On some occasions, I want to "try out" certain styles, but don't want to invest. For example, I'm actually looking at a Caravelle right now that has a fluted Rolex-esque bezel. I can spend $75 on that watch and wear it and see if that styling is to my taste before investing $8K in a Date Just. All the rules above usually apply. There's also something to be said here about the thin line "homage" watches ride on...but I'm going to cut myself short on that one, that horse is dead.
    Last edited by Deity42; October 12th, 2017 at 19:14.
    Rocket1991 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

What I am going to suggest might peeve people off, but that is regarded within what I am going to say. You can obtain fashion watches that look absolutely stunning, but you can get them for a fraction of the price through the grey market, or just through auction. Now what people should know is most fashion watches are produced, and manufactured by Fossil. I would suggest Burberry as they have nice swiss movements, with majority using saphire crystal. Accurist has designs that look like DW for the fraction of the price also. I bought this watch for about $17USD from infantry two months ago and have gotten compliments more than my old DW which I sold a while back, this one feels pretty solid and has that sleek design where I put it on a black nato strap. Name:  20171013_054135.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  846.2 KB

Thanks everyone. Good tips!

I think I have determined my specs so it should narrow down options.

Swiss movement, Shapphire Crystal, 316l Stainless and leather strap, preferably italian leather and not cheap stuff. Though this can always be changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Df1983 View Post

Swiss movement, Shapphire Crystal, 316l Stainless and leather strap, preferably italian leather and not cheap stuff. Though this can always be changed.
    Thqts,basically what I look,for in a fashion watch...that and good attention to detail.

Here's my current favorite. It had the most comfortable bracelet I've ever felt.

Name:  PSX_20171008_004503.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  1.32 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Df1983 View Post

I'd recommend taking a look at Larsson & Jennings. They do some nice pieces that should match your criteria :)

Fossil TOWNSMAN AUTOMATIC STAINLESS STEEL WATCH – BLACK ME3062P

The Movado bold offer a lot of the things mentioned above within the budget. Through the grey market they are a steal and you get very good quality and Swiss movement for this price range.

New to the forum, but generally a fashion watch for me is 1) about the look/design, 2) Quality - would look for a decent quality leather strap, sapphire glass even though this usually means the price will go upwards of £125 and also a recognised movement such as Miyota or Seiko 3) Price - wouldnt pay more than £250 for a 'fashion watch'

Thread Information