Why do you guys all hate "fashion" watches, and is there a definitive description of a fashion watch - Page 2
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Why do you guys all hate "fashion" watches, and is there a definitive description of a fashion watch

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Why do you guys all hate "fashion" watches, and is there a definitive description of a fashion w

Quote Originally Posted by Stirling Moss View Post
    So the question is, if there were a well specced watch from a fashion label for a great price would you buy it? What if there were a Levi's branded diver, with a sapphire crystal, ceramic lumed bezel, stainless steel case and bracelet with an ETA movement that while looking like every other diver, was priced at $450, would you buy it?
    Nope. If we're being honest here, brand plays a part in my decision. I wouldn't wear the diver you described, regardless of finishing or movement. Call me a brand whore, but c'mon, a lot of us really are.
    Wings level. Cleared hot.

Re: Why do you guys all hate "fashion" watches, and is there a definitive description of a fashion w

Something happened after I started looking at watches for their specs and materials, that changed how I look at fashion watches. I cannot look at an Emporio Armani (or similar) watch with any sort of desire now after having purchased and fallen in love with my Seiko Presage for about the same price. I just can't make that ever make sense to buy a fashion watch again knowing what I can get as an alternative.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

I have an Emporio Armani ar2447. I bought it a couple of years ago simply because I liked it. I have to say it has one of the best looking dials in my collection. Other than that it's quartz, lightweight and the hardlex is easily damaged. (just a tiny little spec so far)
    I still like it and wear it as a dress watch mostly. It's actually one of my more expensive watches.

Name:  20171019_102436_157469464062111.png
Views: 95
Size:  879.8 KB
    civiclx likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The answer is rather simple, because they are crap, decorated crap with huge endorsement and ads that you practically can see in every corner in the world.
    They mount cheap, run-off-the-mill chinese movement and add some bull stories to their brands to boost sale. The only, well two, things they excelled are in advertising and marketing.
    Even if all the decent watches in the world are destroyed and it comes down to 1 remaining DW, I wouldn't even wear it. I'll just use my phone to tell time.
    Here's a real watch to lighten up this post, Omega Blue Side of the Moon Aventurine
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Horophilia View Post
    The answer is rather simple, because they are crap, decorated crap with huge endorsement and ads that you practically can see in every corner in the world.
    They mount cheap, run-off-the-mill chinese movement and add some bull stories to their brands to boost sale. The only, well two, things they excelled are in advertising and marketing.
    Even if all the decent watches in the world are destroyed and it comes down to 1 remaining DW, I wouldn't even wear it. I'll just use my phone to tell time.
    Here's a real watch to lighten up this post, Omega Blue Side of the Moon Aventurine
    And your Omega has no ads and endorsements? We all cant afford a $3k+ watch or even want to spend that much on a watch. If you buy/wear watches to tell time, there is no wrong watch to own/wear. If you buy them for other reasons then sure fashion brands are "crap". I am sure there are some that think Omega's are crap and they only wear brand lots more expensive. That is the fun of watches. There is something for everyone.

I have about 20 watches up to about 3.5k ( Seiko Astron GPS ) down to < $50 and in that lot I have 2 ' Fashion ' watches , whatever that means ? and they get as much wrist time as every other I own , I have friends who own Rolex , Omega and the likes and they have all learned not to judge my cheaper watches when I wear them because if there is ONE ! thing that gets my back up it's watch snobbery !!! ,, it's like some people have the small C___ syndrome and wearing a 20k phallic symbol on their wrist makes them better that the rest of us ,

Hey all power to fashion watch lovers and wearers , just be aware that as said earlier $500 on a fashion statement watch or $500 in a Seiko or Citizen or Casio GShock etc. , it's your money and enjoy . As I really enjoy my Casio calculator watch and it was only $49 off eBay .

Beanerds.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Watch Ho and JCB43 like this.

My definition of fashion watch is when the company does not specialize in making watches or known for making watches.

Anyways, I don't mind fashion watches as there is a purpose for them but I wouldn't personally be paying a large $$$ to buy one for myself.

I mean, if I was wearing full LV, Armani, Hugo boss etc, I'll probably wear the same watch brand to complete the look.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    JCB43 and Sam K like this.

lvt

Personally I consider a $5,000 Calvin Klein watch is fashion watch, regardless how good it looks on you.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Categorising is easy.
    Is it from a company who makes watches or a fashion house?
    If the latter
    It's a fashion brand, you pay for that branding and in many cases, it's cheap quality dressed up externally and oftentimes tacky.
    Cost of the watch is irrelevant, a high horology Vs a nice 'expensive'watch Vs a daily wear Seiko etc are all watches from watch manufacturers and will offer better quality for value than a fashion house watch who are solely about brand promotion and external image.

If I'm willing to spend the level of money on a product that buys apex level brands, why buy less than apex level brands?

No different than why foodies don't likeTaco Bell; winos don't like Arbor Mist; cutlery fanatics don't like Cutco; audiophiles don't like Bose; off-roaders don't like fake lift blocks/spacers; etc

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information