Why do you guys all hate "fashion" watches, and is there a definitive description of a fashion watch - Page 3
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Why do you guys all hate "fashion" watches, and is there a definitive description of a fashion watch

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Why do you guys all hate "fashion" watches, and is there a definitive description of a fashion w

Quote Originally Posted by Jayjayausyd View Post

You can almost serve a three course dinner on that plate.

Re: Why do you guys all hate "fashion" watches, and is there a definitive description of a fashion w

It's good wrist weapon in desperate times

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    civiclx and JCB43 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebast975 View Post
    I associate "fashion" watches with quartz, cheap mineral glass, and brands that spend more on marketing than quality control. .

I don't think people hate fashion watches per se.
    They hate the "association," the way they also associate certain objects, words, looks, etc with "undesirable" elements in society.

This goes the other way: fawning over things, and brands, and celebrities, that they might not like if it were not for the "aura' of respectability that (supposedly) one should associate them with, etc.

In other words, it's just social programming, and some people cannot break it, or it never occurs to them that they could step outside of the program.
    The Watch Ho and Wolfsatz like this.
    "Be thine own palace, or the world's thy jail." _ John Donne

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Personally i understand the hate against fashion watches based on the fact that these watches are sold at a price that doesn't represent the value of the watch.
    On the other hand, for me the No1 criteria when buying a watch is the design and for my personal taste many fashion watches have better design than watches from 500€ to 50000€.
    Another advantage of the fashion watches is the variety of them in sizes. This is crucial for me as i have a big wrist and i like elegant dress/casual watches.
    Last edited by ipred; January 14th, 2020 at 00:35.
    Chronopolis likes this.

I would gladly wear this :

Name:  CHANEL J12_a.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  116.7 KB
    drhr and Rocket1991 like this.
    "Be thine own palace, or the world's thy jail." _ John Donne

There are some Fashion Brands (Nautica comes to mind) that will put really good specs against the manufacturer (Timex) to the event, that some Nautica Watches far surpass the average quality of a Timex Watch.

A few years ago, I purchased a 38mm chocolate brown Fossil (Swiss Made) that I foolishly let go (too small); and I remember that many at F71 crapped on these watches for being a Fossil. However, that movement is widely popular and well regarded STP-1-11 movement used by other brands.
    Rocket1991 likes this.
    ... What time is it? ...

If Louis Vuitton bought a bunch of stale McDonalds hamburgers, put them in LV branded styrofoam boxes, and priced them as premium Wagyu steak, most foodies would find it preposterous. And even people who only view food only as something they put in their food-hole to not die would frequently find the idea of paying premium prices for some cheap crap wrapped in a branded container rather daft.

That's most fashion watches. A stale burger wrapped in a disposable package branded with a fashion house logo.

If we assume the fashion house has genuine design and craft skills (that is, they actually make quality clothing and accessories, in addition to being good at branding), that skill still isn't being used in their watch lines.

If you don't like fashion brands, the fashion watch is a overpriced stale burger ment for plebians. If you DO like the brand, the fact that they're putting their brand on a stale burger can actually cheapen the brand to you.

It's not easy being a fashion watch. Luckily there's plenty of plebs desperate to associate themselves with their favourite fashion brand, and if they cant afford the $2 000 handbag they'll buy the $300 stale burger!
    I like my watches like I like my relationships: complicated!

-----

My gut tells me "Forget your plans and spend your money on champagne! We are not long for this world and existence is a bleak wasteland. Let us embrace sweet oblivion on our own terms."

Any other organs I should pay attention to?

All watches so loved on this forum are fashion statements.
    Like clothing which is fashion too it does not mean been fashionable reduce functionality or quality.
    All "tactical", field, pilot, diver... etc. watches are fashion things. They project certain style which in many cases has nothing to do with intended use.

I am not picking on people choices so every watch choice is fine as far as it makes owner happy.

Fashion watches make a lot of people happy and i am OK with that.
    Last edited by Rocket1991; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:08.
    It should be special!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsatz View Post
    There are some Fashion Brands (Nautica comes to mind) that will put really good specs against the manufacturer (Timex) to the event, that some Nautica Watches far surpass the average quality of a Timex Watch.

A few years ago, I purchased a 38mm chocolate brown Fossil (Swiss Made) that I foolishly let go (too small); and I remember that many at F71 crapped on these watches for being a Fossil. However, that movement is widely popular and well regarded STP-1-11 movement used by other brands.
    Fossils are fine watches. A lot of styles and frankly not much to complain considering 7 year warranty and very generous repairs/ customer support.
    It should be special!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket1991 View Post
    Fossils are fine watches. A lot of styles and frankly not much to complain considering 7 year warranty and very generous repairs/ customer support.
    Agreed.
    Fossil Swiss by Wolfsatz, on Flickr
    ... What time is it? ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3