Why do you guys all hate "fashion" watches, and is there a definitive description of a fashion watch
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Why do you guys all hate "fashion" watches, and is there a definitive description of a fashion watch

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Why do you guys all hate "fashion" watches, and is there a definitive description of a fashion watch

Fashion watches. We all seem to hate on them. But why? Because everybody else is, is there a good reason behind it?
    The main reasons I have found seemed to be a prevalence of quartz, derivative bland styling, bad value for money, and or course the fashion brand.

Let's start with the brand. Simply being a fashion brand should not be a strike into itself. After all, Tiffany and Co. could be considered a fashion brand, they didn't always make there own watches. We pay a premium for Tiffany signed Rolex and Patek watches. Why? At the end of the day they are good watches regardless of the name on the dial.

Derivative bland styling? That of course is in the eye of the beholder. Sure, many fashion watches aren't very sophisticated in this department, but it you like the looks, go for it.

Bad value for money. This is where I think the heart of the problem lies. And it shouldn't be just "fashion" branded watches either. Timex is a big sinner here. Nothing wrong with a mineral crystal, quartz powered, plated brass cased, questionably styled watch if you like the look of it. If it's cheap and has a price befitting it's spec. This is where I get confused. If I can get a much better spec, automatic, sapphire crystal, stainless steel cased watch for let's say $250, why would I pay double that for some fashion watch? I don't care about the name. Any storied in watchmaking named is going to cost more than $1,000 anyways. But at least that $400 micro brand is good quality for its price.

So the question is, if there were a well specced watch from a fashion label for a great price would you buy it? What if there were a Levi's branded diver, with a sapphire crystal, ceramic lumed bezel, stainless steel case and bracelet with an ETA movement that while looking like every other diver, was priced at $450, would you buy it? Would it be more or less appealing with Levis, or Wrangler, or Carhart for it's "fashion label". I'm never claiming it to be an $8,000 Submariner, or a $2,000 Oris Aquis, just an honest quality watch for it's price bracket.

Member Horological-psychologist's Avatar

Re: Why do you guys all hate "fashion" watches, and is there a definitive description of a fashion w

Great post!

I would. If the watch is such great value and looks good, one shouldn't loose too much at time of sale. If I wasn't a flipper, even better. Good looks and great value is a win, win in my book.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk
    "The most dangerous thing in the world is an IGNORANT with INITIATIVE."
    Luis Muñoz Marín

Re: Why do you guys all hate "fashion" watches, and is there a definitive description of a fashion w

Quote Originally Posted by Horological-psychologist View Post
    Great post!

I would. If the watch is such great value and looks good, one shouldn't loose too much at time of sale. If I wasn't a flipper, even better. Good looks and great value is a win, win in my book.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk
    Thanks Horological-psychologist. Unfortunately some mod flipped it over to this forum within about 2 minutes posting it. I think it may have gotten a good discussion if left where I posted it in the Public Forum. I wonder if they even read it, or saw the word "fashion" and nope- not here, moved it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I associate "fashion" watches with quartz, cheap mineral glass, and brands that spend more on marketing than quality control. But if you can find one that isn't all those things then I'd probably consider it more of a "microbrand" than a "fashion" watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebast975 View Post
    I associate "fashion" watches with quartz, cheap mineral glass, and brands that spend more on marketing than quality control. But if you can find one that isn't all those things then I'd probably consider it more of a "microbrand" than a "fashion" watch.
    Fair enough, but some not so cheap with mineral glass and quartz! And others are halfway decent watches (even quartz), but are priced just stupid.

This guy had bought an Armani watch not long ago. I think the crystal was supposed to be sapphire and looks were quite good. Around $150 for what is basically a Chinese chrono. After a month it fell from his nightstand and...

Before:

After:

Now I can't know if any "real watch" would have done better but I feel it would. The guy was devastated - his "very expensive watch from a reputable brand" should not have broke. When we talked about it another guy told us he used to own a Sector and once he bumped his hand walking through a door and all the numbers fell off.

But hey - if Levi's mad a *good* watch for a fair price I'd buy it. But this is not going to happen.
    There is a time for everything...
    a time to search and a time to give up,
    a time to keep and a time to throw away

If a brand like Levis made a sophisticated timepiece then I would of course buy it. I am not concerned about Branding too much. I prefer a good watch.

I think hate is a strong term! And to say you hate all of a genre is narrow minded, after all I like at least one watch from most manufacturers.

The issue I have with a lot of watches from “Non watch makers” is that they take a $10 Chinese quartz watch and put their label on and then charge $150 for it.

The brand name and marketing is the only difference, and this is why I always attempt to get non WIS friends to buy a Seiko or other quality brand in the affordable price bracket.
    Sebast975 likes this.
    " I am easily impressed by the best" - Winston Churchill.

"One cannot but admire the cold-bravery and enterprise of these Italians"
    Admiral Cunningham, referring to the frogmen of the M.A.S in WW2.

I don't hate fashion watches just some of them with questionable style and quality.
    But that can be said about non fashion brands.
    For sure i am not going to pay 400$ for Armany Exchage chrono i would buy Citizen with far more superior build, fit and finish and function.
    On other hand if i come across attractive Skagen or Fossil i may buy it. I did it.
    Fashion watches constitute huge market a lot of people buy them and value them.
    for many people who serve us behind counter and have to put up with office strict clothing and have no way to afford "real" watch nice fashion watch is the only way to go.

Timex by the way is de facto fashion brand right now. good value among fashion brands or even great value if you ask me.
    If it would not been for love of style we would of all been wearing something like Casio F91 or similarly affordable 3 hander and that would of been it.
    We do buy watches because we prefer value of the brand and design (includes materials, finish and internals). 0 difference between fashion and watches.
    It should be special!

Bottom line for me is that they are ALL "fashion" watches at some point. Fashion or appearance is the very first thing (I or)a customer sees. If they don't care for the looks, they pass it up. Doesn't matter who made it or, how well-made it is. That watch will lay in the case, unsold.
    The Watch Ho likes this.
    Thank you, I'm flattered, but, please don't click any "Likes" for me (unless there's a prize for "most likes")?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information