Longines Conquest...Where’s The Love - Page 4
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Longines Conquest...Where’s The Love

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Longines Conquest...Where’s The Love

My Conquest VHP has brushed center links.....
    rfortson likes this.

Watches in profile....

For those of you who are thinking of brushing out the polished center links, here are a couple of tips. No guarantees, of course, on the outcome, but this worked for me:

1. First, remove the bracelet and even unlink one half of it from the clasp; it'll be easier to work on if you have two shorter segments.
    2. I found it best to un-polish the center links using 800 grit sandpaper. Using a fine grit of sandpaper, such as 800 or higher, allows one to remove the shiny layer without creating a bunch of brush lines on the metal. After I was done using the the 800 grit sandpaper, the links looked dull and smudged.
    2. Once the shiny stuff is gone, I then went over the whole bracelet using some "fine" steel wool that I purchased at my local hardware store. It think that "fine" steel wool gives a nicer finish than the more "coarse" varieties; the final result looks "brushed", rather than just "scratched."

For an even better explanation with lots of good pics, see this article: https://www.strapmillcanada.com/blog...watch-bracelet

Here's a pic of the steel wool that I used:

Name:  SteelWool.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  784.8 KB
    Last edited by tmann; February 18th, 2020 at 18:27.
    mojorison_75 and rfortson like this.

I don't think that I'm the only Conquest owner who's grail watch would be a Rolex Explorer. I love the "refined sports watch" style. I've owned (and flipped) both a Smiths Everest and a Hamilton Khaki Field Automatic. I liked both of them a lot, but neither was quite right. I need the date function which the Smiths doesn't have; the Khaki Field was a bit small at 38mm. I also tried on a Hamilton Khaki King (40mm) which I probably would've been happy with, but the Longines is so much nicer.

I love the legibility of the Conquests dial, even in dim conditions. I have the black 39mm automatic version which has lume on the hour markers and the hands. The other feature of this watch, which I didn't appreciate until a few days into owning it, is the multi-layered anti-reflective coating. Many watches such as the Hamilton and even the Explorer suffer from an excessively reflective crystal which impedes legibility. From most angles, the crystal is practically invisible which really shows off the inky blackness of the dial.

Don't get me wrong. I'd trade my Conquest for an Explorer in a heartbeat, shiny crystal, no-date and all. LOL. But I like how the Conquest perfectly fills my needs: reasonably priced, solid build, nicely styled, supremely practical.

Name:  IMG_20200218_100950979.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  649.6 KBName:  IMG_20200218_100334331.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  589.6 KBName:  IMG_20200218_100323229.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  615.5 KB
    Last edited by tmann; February 18th, 2020 at 19:20.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Oh...one more thing. For those of you who have been struggling to find a good fit with the Conquest bracelet, you should note that the bracelet comes with two short links. The short links, contrary to what I initially thought, aren't exactly half the length of a long link. One standard link is 12mm long; each short link is 7 mm long. Thus, you should be able fine-tune the length of your bracelet pretty well, even without a micro-adjust clasp.
    rfortson and mojorison_75 like this.

Love mine and looks so much better in the wild than on the stock pictures. You can also get great deals on it if you look around. Picked mine up at an AD for just over 700 euros after a long conversation. Although it is not one my more expensive pieces it has become my go to daily watch. Here is a drunken picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

AardnoldArrdvark and gdfan75 like this.

Well, I got the silver dial 41mm quartz version in a bit ago and while it's great, I've been longing for the black dial 39mm auto. I just sent Joma some more money to get the 39 on the way. Somebody's going to get a nice silver dial 41mm soon, as it'll have to hit the chopping block. One in one out is my motto for the year.

I've actually been eyeing the Black Bay 41 for awhile, but after trying the Conquest I'm more than happy to pick it instead and save a ton of money. I'm slowly becoming a Longines fan boy...

I've been eyeing (only from afar, via internet pics given our current situation) this Longines Conquest Classic GMT model L2.799.4.76.3 .
    Name:  longines-conquest-classic-GMT-watch-l2.799.4.76.3_1.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  117.1 KB
    Love its very clean dial, but can't determine whether the case is fully polished or if it might have a combination of brushed and polished surfaces.
    Thanks in advance for anyone that might be familiar with this series and seen them in person.
    gdfan75 likes this.

Hey guys! So I currently have a black Christopher Ward C60 Trident MK3 and have been looking at my next purchase. The Longines Conquest has been on my shortlist and have been thinking about getting one. I have a couple of questions:

1) For my 7.3-7.4 inch wrist circumference with the top surface length being 2.3 inches, should I go for the 39mm or the 41mm?

2) Should I get the black or white/silver Conquest to complement my black Chris Ward? I'm probably leaning towards the silver Conquest to have a nice variety in my collection but wondered if the black dial would be more versatile. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by gdfan75 View Post
    Hey guys! So I currently have a black Christopher Ward C60 Trident MK3 and have been looking at my next purchase. The Longines Conquest has been on my shortlist and have been thinking about getting one. I have a couple of questions:

1) For my 7.3-7.4 inch wrist circumference with the top surface length being 2.3 inches, should I go for the 39mm or the 41mm?

2) Should I get the black or white/silver Conquest to complement my black Chris Ward? I'm probably leaning towards the silver Conquest to have a nice variety in my collection but wondered if the black dial would be more versatile. Thanks!
    I have about a 7 1/2" wrist and typically like watches 40-44 mm. I bought the 41 mm and ended up swapping it for a 39 mm. To me the 39 mm is perfect.
    The 41 mm I bought was the silver dial but the 39 mm I ended up with is the black dial. That's not a knock on the silver, I thought it looked great. I just wanted my conquest to be my daily and felt the black worked better for that. If you're looking for a silver dial to complement your Chris Ward the silver could work well for you, it's really good looking in person.

Some things to consider:
    1. The silver dial has applied indices and numerals. The black is painted on for both, but it's really thick and the numbers still almost look applied with the rhodium coating.
    2. The silver dial does not have lume, the black dial does-except for the two numerals. Both dials catch the light so well you don't really need much for the dial to be visible, but note that the indices on the black only glow so so - the hands are pretty good.

Two pics, because why not, but note that the silver dial 41 pic is blown up a little more. It's not THAT much bigger than the 39.

Name:  20200403_091003.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  3.22 MBName:  20200214_105616.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  57.4 KB
    audio.bill and gdfan75 like this.

Just waiting for the right time to get me a Conquest V.H.P. Quartz Silver or Blue dial; the GMT flash version. I think it would be a well deserved present after all this is over...

Name:  Longines Conquest GMT Flash.JPG
Views: 10
Size:  28.8 KB

Name:  Longines Conquest GMT Flash_Blue.JPG
Views: 9
Size:  28.8 KB
    mojorison_75 likes this.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information