Like Tree9Likes
  • 5 Post By carlhaluss
  • 1 Post By NC_Hager626
  • 1 Post By Titan II
  • 1 Post By carlhaluss
  • 1 Post By Ty Ku

Thread: The Longines Heritage Military 1938 - Incoming Review

The Longines Heritage Military 1938 - Incoming Review

"An oversized military-type stainless steel wristwatch....." describes the original 1939 model, according to Phillips Auction House. And that accurately describes the revival model by Longines. At limited edition of, appropriately, 1938 pieces, it is an amazingly accurate revival of the original. As soon as I saw it for the first time online, and read all the details, I knew it was a model I simply had to have.

So, before Christmas 2019, I put in my order with Jack at Lugaro Jewellers here in Burnaby BC. True to his word, Jack got me the watch, which it seems is a fairly difficult achievement here in Canada. Thanks to Jack very much for persevering, I would have been disappointed if this is a model I was unable to get. In my eyes it is one of the very best and accurate vintage revival pieces done by Longines. Not to mention the excellent craftsmanship on the dial and case.

At 43mm it is exactly the size of the original, which had a manually wound calibre 17.26. This new model has also a manually wound Longines caliber 507.2 based on the ETA 659/2 with 53 hour power reserve. Kudos to Longines for using this movement, which means that the small seconds sub dial is perfectly placed at the bottom of the dial, at 6 o'clock, just above the railroad minute track. The 43mm size would have been very large for a 30's watch.

Even the fonts used on the dial are in keeping with the original. Sans serif font for the hour indicators, and serif font for the small arabics on the small seconds sub dial. Also, the "LONGINES" font on the dial is identical to the original, with a lesser serif than the new Longines logo. The hour and minute hands are simple, and long, with the hour hand extending slightly into the arabic markers, and the minute hand extending into the railroad minute track.

Lately, I have become less fond of faux patina on most watches, but I feel this one has been done well, not too obtrusive, and very fitting for the watch. Well lumed hands and arabic markers, provide excellent night visibility. Most likely designed for pilots for use in night combat. The large size onion crown is very easy to wind, although not as large as I have seen on some similar type military watches.

A simple, non screwed case back would also likely be in keeping with the original. Just stating "Water Resistant" it has a rating of 3bar/30m.

Not really a terribly large watch by today's standards (although apparently many would disagree), it has fairly short curved lugs, and should be a good fit for most wrists under 7 inches. Lug-to-lug is exactly 50mm. I think part of the idea (at least my theory) of making a limited edition of this watch, is the fact that the size may not appeal to lots of guys, regardless of the fact it is true to the original. The lug width is 20mm which, also by today's standards, is small for a watch this size but true to size back in the day.

Anyway, not to ramble. I have said my piece, and stated my appreciation of this watch. Plenty of articles online, including photos of the original watch. Especially this one by Hodinkee:
    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/th...-military-1938

Also, excellent insight into what the original watch was like here on Phillips website:
    https://www.phillips.com/detail/longines/CH080117/224#

Hope you enjoy some photos I have taken so far:

Thanks for looking at my review. I might add that this is not the original leather strap. Although I do like the original, and the excellent leather NATO supplied with the watch, this one just works better for me.

And I am doing an edit to post a photo from Fratello of the original 1938 watch. The only small disappointment I have with the revival model is the lack of detail on the small seconds hand.

Name:  Originalpiece1938.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  253.8 KB

Cheers,
    Carl
    Last edited by carlhaluss; 2 Days Ago at 09:30. Reason: Add photo of original 1939 watch
    Those who possess a sense of entitlement are seldom satis​fied.

Re: The Longines Heritage Military 1938 - Incoming Review

Congratulations Carl on your Longines Heritage Military 1938 limited edition timepiece. It is a stunning interpretation of the original, especially to the small details. And, thanks for providing your backstory, initial impressions and pictures. Enjoy your latest Longines acquisition.
    carlhaluss likes this.

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Hi Carl! I hope all is well with you.

Congratulations on your latest acquisition...it's gorgeous!! And, as usual, amazing photographs.

I'm looking forward to checking this one out at our next meet-up.

All the best!

René
    carlhaluss likes this.
    Citizen Navihawk
    Momentum Supernova, Titan II (GONE--gifted to a friend's son), Aquamatic II (Blue Dial)
    OMEGA 1957 Trilogy Railmaster Co-Axial Master Chronometer (ref 220.10.38.20.01.002), Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch (ref 310.30.42.30.01.005), Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial Chronometer (ref 233.30.41.21.01.001)
    Seiko SKX007 (GONE--gifted to my uncle)
    Steinhart Marine Chronometer II Roman (Unitas 6498), Nav. B-Chrono II DLC (ETA Valjoux 7750)(SOLD), Nav. B-Uhr II (Unitas 6497)(SOLD), Ocean One Vintage (ETA 2824-2) (SOLD), Ocean One Vintage Red (ETA 2824-2) (SOLD)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Hager626 View Post
    Congratulations Carl on your Longines Heritage Military 1938 limited edition timepiece. It is a stunning interpretation of the original, especially to the small details. And, thanks for providing your backstory, initial impressions and pictures. Enjoy your latest Longines acquisition.
    Thank you very much for your comments!

Cheers,
    Carl
    NC_Hager626 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan II View Post
    Hi Carl! I hope all is well with you.

Congratulations on your latest acquisition...it's gorgeous!! And, as usual, amazing photographs.

I'm looking forward to checking this one out at our next meet-up.

All the best!

René
    Thanks, René. Took three months after i ordered it, but well worth the wait. This is to be my last watch purchase of 2020!

Cheers,
    Carl

Great pictures! I have never seen that model before but it's gorgeous!
    carlhaluss likes this.
    YouTube: Ty Ku Watch Reviews

Current Watch Collection:

Rolex GMT "Batman" 116710BLNR, Rolex SubC "Hulk" 116610LV, Tudor Pelagos Blue
    Tudor Black Bay Red, Panerai 390, Audemars Piguet 15400 Grey, Seiko Tuna SBBN033 , Maranez Bangla 44, Deep Blue Master 1000, Sisu Bravado Stealth, Sisu Guardian Eclipse, Bell & Ross BR01-96 Grande Date, Grand Seiko Sbgx267, Joe Rodeo “Planet” 10carat Diamond watch

Quote Originally Posted by Ty Ku View Post
    Great pictures! I have never seen that model before but it's gorgeous!
    Thanks. And it really is full of small details of the original as well.

Cheers,
    Carl

Nice review and great pictures.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by carlhaluss View Post
    Thanks, René. Took three months after i ordered it, but well worth the wait. This is to be my last watch purchase of 2020!

Cheers,
    Carl
    “My last watch purchase ...” - famous last words!

Congrats on the new piece... the best things are worth waiting for they say. I love how Longines stayed true to the original and legibility appears to be this watch’s strong suit for sure.

It’s almost as if Longines should exclusively focus on their Heritage line because it’s like they can’t do any wrong with their releases within it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In Rotation:
    Rolex 116000 - Blue "3,6,9" Arabic
    Tudor Black Bay 36
    Longines Heritage Conquest L1.411.4
    Seiko Presage SRPD36-J1 "Old Fashioned"
    Dan Henry 1964 Chrono - Panda

Thread Information